Help: Windows XP Spontanous shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m3nn0_s4r, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Shit. I've been sending away 24.95 for the free cd update. *g*

    An Unexploded Scotsman, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Another thing that helps if that doesn't cure it 100% (I think it
    likely will, baring no other issues) is to bump up your agp voltage
    slightly. The keyword being slightly.

    I was *very* close to driving to to ATI's head office and doing
    terrible things to them when I first picked up my AIW 9800 Pro.
    Great card, if you don't kill anyone during the first 48hrs of
    ownership. The remote's nice too.

    Call me picky, but if you drop $500+ bucks on a video card it should
    just work without having to lean what how to make it happy.

    On a more positive note, http://www.tigerdirect.com/ has that sweet
    rebate deal on again for 200GB hd's. I'm closing in on a terrabyte.

    God, help me, I should have stuck with the laptop and been forced to
    stay productive. *g*

    An Unexploded Scotsman, Jun 5, 2004

  3. yep.

    catchmerevisited, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Well, I believe I've finall found the problem: Hot processor.

    I determined this by noticing that the powerdowns happened primarily during
    processor-intensive activities, such as unpacking a rarball. I was able
    to reproduce spontaneous shutdown four times by unpacking a rarball.

    It also appears that my proc temp is being mis-reported by "AsusProbe",
    which is reporting the SOCKET temperature, not the DIODE temperature.
    Diode temperature for the CPU is a steady 77.

    I was able to determine this by installing Mother Board Monitor 5, which
    gave far higher temperature readings for my CPU. At first, I thought it
    may have been a bad-seating of the heatsink on the CPU, but touching the
    heatsink, it is BLAZING hot... Thus, suggesting that it is conducting
    properly. My processor (Barton 2500) is not overclocked

    I've worked around the situation by underclocking my CPU. I'm now running
    at a FSB of 100, instead of 166, which seems to be allowing my system to run
    stable.

    I still don't understand why my proc is suddenly generating so much heat.
    My ambient temp is no hotter than usual (25C), nor have I made any changes
    to the comp.

    Anyhow, it's working, and I really don't notice the difference in speed...
    Although there are still unsolved Q's, it's good enough for me.

    "Forced counseling and "sensitivity training" are nothing more than
    buzzwords for political re-education"
    -Letter in NY Times, Feb 2, 2000

    http://www.memeticcandiru.com

    $p1r17u4l_gyn3c0l0g1$7, Jun 8, 2004
  5. W32MyDoom can cause random shut downs.
    Whitelightning

    Whitelightning, Jun 8, 2004
  6. m3nn0_s4r

    Kelly Guest

    Kelly, Jun 8, 2004
  7. m3nn0_s4r

    di0nysus Guest

    I had a similar problem in the past, here's what I did:

    Remove the power supply and cut a hole in the bottom (the side that
    faces toward the floor). Install a fan to suck air from the case and
    blow it into the power supply and eventually through the other fan and
    out the back of the case. Then I covered the existing vent holes with
    duct tape (yes... tape). In my case the new fan is right above the CPU
    so it moves a shitload of air over the heatsink. just a thought...

    You might also consider a better heatsink?
    Reseat the processor and re-install the heatsink with new CPU grease?

    di0nysus, Jun 8, 2004
  8. m3nn0_s4r

    di0nysus Guest

    Sorry... I should clarify that I covered the vent holes in the power
    supply only, not the whole case :)

    di0nysus, Jun 8, 2004
  9. You're 100% sure your voltage is set to whatever a Barton 2500 wants?
    If you decide to go for a replacement heatsink, I'm a big fan of
    Zalman's stuff. I'm running a 2.4gHz P4 @ 3.5gHz and it's not much
    warmer than it was before the overclock with a stock Intel heatsink.

    http://www.zalmanusa.com/

    Granted it's the size of a small toaster, but it does a nice job.
    Very quiet too.

    An Unexploded Scotsman, Jun 8, 2004