Help with 503+ BIOS

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Kyle Brant, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    There is a "boot block" flash procedure for recovering from a bad BIOS
    flash. Search usenet you will find the procedure for use with the
    award BIOS.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Unfortunately, that procedure involves a DOS bootdisk with the
    awdflash.exe utility, the BIOS ????????.bin file to be flashed, and
    "awdflash.exe ????????.bin /py /sn" in the autoexec.bat file. It may not
    be of much use if he cannot access the floppy drive, or any other drive,
    for that matter.

    http://www.biosflash.de/english/update.htm

    If you are reaaly desperate, there are places that will reflash your BIOS
    chip for you or send you a replacement. http://www.biosflash.com ,
    http://www.badflash.com , and http://www.flashbios.org are examples.
    Some local computer shops amay also do this.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Hi Alex:

    After further review of the original post, I note that Flash864 is an
    AMI software product for programming AMI BIOS's. I cannot understand
    why a user of a board with an Award BIOS is playing around with an AMI
    BIOS flashing program. It just may be the entire BIOS was wiped out,
    including the bootblock, but it's still worth a try to attempt the
    bootblock reflash procedure. Otherwise, your observations are the
    next step, get a replacement BIOS or get a reflash of the chip.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | Unfortunately, that procedure involves a DOS bootdisk with the
    | awdflash.exe utility, the BIOS ????????.bin file to be flashed, and
    | "awdflash.exe ????????.bin /py /sn" in the autoexec.bat file. It
    may not
    | be of much use if he cannot access the floppy drive, or any other
    drive,
    | for that matter.
    |
    | http://www.biosflash.de/english/update.htm
    |
    | If you are reaaly desperate, there are places that will reflash your
    BIOS
    | chip for you or send you a replacement. http://www.biosflash.com ,
    | http://www.badflash.com , and http://www.flashbios.org are
    examples.
    | Some local computer shops amay also do this.
    |
    | --Alex
    |

    | Kyle Brant wrote:
    |
    | > There is a "boot block" flash procedure for recovering from a bad
    BIOS
    | > flash. Search usenet you will find the procedure for use with the
    | > award BIOS.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Best regards,
    | > Kyle
    | > |
    | > | Somehow I just cleared the BIOS on my 503+ Board. All it does
    now
    | > is show
    | > | the power light and the hard drive light comes on for a few
    seconds
    | > and then
    | > | nothing. The floppy is never searched. BIOS has got to be
    | > cleared. It
    | > | was working fine before I ran some tests with FLASH864 and must
    have
    | > hit
    | > | enter at the wrong time. Anyone got a spare BIOS chip or a way
    | > around this?
    | > | Thanks,,,
    | > |
    | > | Pat
    | > |
    | > |

    Vincent Patterson, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Kyle Brant

    chavez Guest

    FWIW, here is something I found on the Epox website once upon a time:

    "How do I recover my BIOS from a bad flash?

    "If you have access to an old un-accelerated ISA video card, you
    might be able to recover your BIOS. Remove all cards and drives
    from your system, except for the ISA video card and the floppy
    drive. Then try to boot from a system disk (a bootable floppy with
    only the flash program and corresponding BIOS image). If you are
    able to boot to the floppy, flash your BIOS according to the
    directions in the flash utility README."

    I never tried this and I have no idea why it should work if it does,
    but my regard for Epox is such that I hung on to my old Trident ISA
    grafix card just in case I ever have to.

    db

    chavez, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    | Vincent Patterson wrote:
    | > Help,
    | >
    | > Somehow I just cleared the BIOS on my 503+ Board. All it does now
    is show
    | > the power light and the hard drive light comes on for a few
    seconds and then
    | > nothing. The floppy is never searched. BIOS has got to be
    cleared. It
    | > was working fine before I ran some tests with FLASH864 and must
    have hit
    | > enter at the wrong time. Anyone got a spare BIOS chip or a way
    around this?
    | > Thanks,,,
    | >
    | > Pat
    | >

    | FWIW, here is something I found on the Epox website once upon a
    time:

    | "How do I recover my BIOS from a bad flash?
    |
    | "If you have access to an old un-accelerated ISA video card,
    you
    | might be able to recover your BIOS. Remove all cards and
    drives
    | from your system, except for the ISA video card and the floppy
    | drive. Then try to boot from a system disk (a bootable floppy
    with
    | only the flash program and corresponding BIOS image). If you
    are
    | able to boot to the floppy, flash your BIOS according to the
    | directions in the flash utility README."
    |
    | I never tried this and I have no idea why it should work if it
    does,
    | but my regard for Epox is such that I hung on to my old Trident ISA
    | grafix card just in case I ever have to.

    Heh, I also have an old Trident ISA card in my box of ancient video
    cards, saved just for this same purpose.

    Kyle Brant, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Heh. Me, too! I wonder what we are going to do once all our ISA-slot
    motherboards die. :-0

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Kyle Brant

    Robert Akins Guest

    Use an old Trident 9680 or similar PCI card?
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Feb 7, 2004
  9. Kyle Brant

    Den Guest

    You mean those magical 1/2 or 1Meg PCI cards that enabled me to finally
    get the 503+ booted last year.

    Den

    Den, Feb 7, 2004
  10. Kyle Brant

    Den Guest

    Try and hammer the BNC/ISA network cards into a PCI slot. ;-)

    Den

    Den, Feb 7, 2004