    to run at max, all the time.

    From being off all night, to booting into BIOS, it reports a CPU temp
    of 60C. Letting it run in BIOS it gets up to about 67C... this is with
    the case wide open and an ambient temperature of around 18C. Removing
    the CPU fan and touching the heat sync, its only warm, certainly not 67C.

    I've read that the the GA series is known for reporting temps about 5C
    high, but this is ridiculous!

    Any suggestions?

    Ryan P., May 9, 2009

  2. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    I had already cleaned the heatsink and the blades of the CPU fan, but
    didn't think about the grease...

    Picked up a tube of Arctic Silver 5, and applied it to the CPU and
    (and the NVIDA gpu, for good measure)...

    At idle on the Windows Desktop, I'm now getting ~50C for the CPU and
    ~54C for the GPU. Not quite enough to get the fans to spin down, but
    certainly healthier temps, although I think idle 50C is still high for
    an Athalon 3200.

    Thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

    Ryan P., May 10, 2009

  3. Ryan P.

    gdp Guest

    As you stated in your first post, the sensor on that motherboard series
    does run too high. Several years ago when I was running a 3200+ at 100%
    load on a 7N400-L, it was getting up into the upper 60s C with the stock
    heatsink/fan. I put a much better one on it and it ended up running in
    the upper 50s C. Still hot, but it's a hot processor and an odd sensor.

    George

    gdp, May 12, 2009
  4. Ryan P.

    Ryan P Guest

    I don't think he'll need to worry about running at 100% too incredibly
    often. At load, it seems to hover around ~63C now... before the Arctic
    Silver, it got up to ~77C. If I can find a better heatsink/fan for
    cheap, I'll throw it on there. Maybe I'll be able to quiet the system
    down. The CPU fan constantly runs at a 4600RPM at idle, and get up to
    5200 at load.

    In getting the most bang for the buck, I played with overclocking. I
    got up to 211 FSB before it got unstable. I'd play with the memory
    timings to get more out of it, but with the age of the board, I'm
    hesitant to ask too much of the board!

    It runs Warcraft perfectly smoothly now, which is all he wanted, so
    maybe I'll just quit while I'm ahead! :)

    Ryan P, May 12, 2009