    so how do i fix it, also if this isnt the case what can be done to
    prevent the black lines. My graphics card is a NVIDIA Geforce 6200.

    Many thanks in advance, a well frustrated gamer

    teddyparnell, Jul 19, 2006

  2. teddyparnell

    Spack Guest

    Turn vsync on and see if that helps. What you're probably seeing is
    tearing/shearing due to the game refreshing the screen higher than the
    screen refresh rate, but not enough to be double. This results in a tearing
    effect where the top part of the screen is slightly offset from the bottom,
    and sometimes gives the effect of a black line across the screen. It'll be
    most noticeable when panning (moving the image from side to side) in the
    games. By enabling vsync it'll ensure that the screen refreshes from the
    game coincide with actuall monitor refreshes so avoiding the tearing.
    However, it can decrease gaming performance as the new refresh rate will be
    based on the fractions of the monitor refresh rate setting (1, 1/2, 1/4
    etc). With a 6200 card, the bottom end of the performance in the 6xxx
    series, you might well find that this is the case. Try it and see.

    Dan

    Spack, Jul 19, 2006