    Again, if this topic has been beat to death, i'd
    appreciate your advice.

    Keith

    Keith, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Keith

    Fishface Guest

    The way prices are going up, you may no longer have
    the choice.

    Let's say you want to run at 5:4.
    PC3200 running at stock speed gives you 3GHz with a
    FSB of 250. With that board, you might be able to run
    a maximum of 270 FSB if you're very lucky, which is
    2.24 GHz, which is 216 MHz memory speed. That is
    squarely PC3500 territory. Now how much do you want
    to pay for your PC3500? Probably not the $320 that I
    paid for a GB of Corsair. I could probably get that back
    now on eBay...

    Even the lowly Kingmax, which was just $79 at Newegg
    has risen to $112. Vanilla Crucial PC3200 was $119 this
    morning. Can you say price gouging? This is a major ouch!
    Will they keep climbing? Will they go back down when
    people say "screw you" and don't buy it? Will people even
    do that? I don't know. That said, I think I would head over
    to Outpost.com and get a couple 512MB sticks of Mushkin
    PC3500. Funky timings compared to the Level 1 on their
    website, but still probably a decent buy, and fully waranteed.

    Fishface, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Keith

    h2 Guest

    hi, i'm using ocz 3700 rev. 2 on an a17 2.8c @ 3.01ghz stock cooling &
    voltages w/ no probs. can o/c higher, but don't have need...

    pax,
    h2

    h2, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Keith

    Fishface Guest

    Of course you know I meant 3.24 GHz, not 2.24 GHz.
    Or around there somewhere...

    Fishface, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Keith

    - HAL9000 Guest

    The price of RAM seems inflated right now. This has happened only
    once before, in the Spring of the year, that I'm aware of. The last
    time was in the late 90s when their was a big earth quake in Taiwan -
    knocking out a major ic fab plant. All I have heard about this Spring
    is that "memory is on allocation". Not sure what has caused this -
    but it has happened. Sometimes it is caused by market collusion, e.g.
    OPEC. Memory prices have gone up (instead of down) about 35% since
    this time last year.

    So if it were me, I would lean towards 512 right now and upgrade to 1G
    in a year or so.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Keith

    Keith Guest

    ok..great, thanks for the replies.
    now....i just visited newegg and see a number of
    choices for mushkin. thinking ahead as you
    recommend, which one? level one? seems to be
    a couple of different ones.
    I used to know what was going on with memory &
    overclocking w/ my BE6-2. I'm totally lost now.
    I'd like to put an order in w/ Outpost or Newegg
    tonight.
    Thanks a million!

    Keith

    Keith, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Keith

    Fishface Guest

    You will take a *huge* performance hit in memory
    bandwidth if you don't get two and run dual channel
    on the Intel system...

    Fishface, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Keith

    TomG Guest

    Corsair has been my choice with no issues at all. both XMS3500 and XMS4400.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 11, 2004
  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    I ordered 512 mb (2x256mb) of the OCZ Gold pc3700 rev. 2
    and now have read that i need 4 sticks for my board.
    Something about it not being dual sided. Is this true?
    This i read on Anandtech's site.

    TIA
    Keith

    Keith, Apr 11, 2004
  10. Keith

    TomG Guest

    not familiar with that particular RAM so I cannot advise. maybe you can
    find their support pages on the web and have a go at that...

    TomG, Apr 11, 2004