    Ben Myers writes:

    Ben> wrote:
    writes>

    Guest, Mar 1, 2009

  2. Guest

    JayB Guest

    sounds to me like your hard drive is bad, and the chkdsk is getting
    errors trying to repair, that iw why its taking so long.
    i would immediate take all day off that drive for safe keeping,
    then do a full low level format. see what happens with that.
    probably should replace the drive under warranty.

    JayB, Mar 1, 2009

  3. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Personally, I place little value in the SMART monitoring setting in a BIOS.

    Repeat: Run HDAT2 (or some other software) and look directly at the
    SMART values. If you see lots of relocated sectors (or even one!), you
    will have found the cause of the slowdown... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2009
  4. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Seagate DOS text diagnostic is the one that seems to run best with
    SATA drives. I think that Seagate (or maybe OnTrack who wrote it?) has
    problems with the other diagnostics and SATA.

    From everything I have read so far in this thread, a hard drive is
    failing, failing, failing... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2009
  5. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Nope. If a drive has relocated sectors, there is a good reason for it.
    And the good reason is the same one to replace the drive after backing
    up as much data as possible... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2009
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ben Myers writes:

    Thank you all for your help. This is still, after all these
    years, one of the best and most helpful groups on UseNet.

    The drive is definitely bad. ChkDsk got up to 3% and reported
    corrupt clusters. HDAT2 reported that the device had stopped
    responding. None of the SeaGate utilities worked.

    I yanked the drive out, and everything seems stable.

    It was my video and cache drive. The movies my son made were
    all backed up. I lost the TV shows I had saved for one of my
    daughters in college, and the rather large Bridge (Adobe) cache.
    That is rebuilding now (I use a distributed cache, so most of it
    should be quick).

    Anyway, I have a last question. What should I buy to replace it?

    I would love to get a 1.5 or 2 terabyte drive but that seems a bit
    premature. Newegg user reviews give 4 of 5 to a Seagate 1.5, but
    five to a Western Digital 1.0 drive. Oddly both drives cost the
    same. But reliability is key to me. The drive that dies this weekend
    was the first SeaGate I have had die on my, but I have heard that their
    quality is going down (this drive was about two years old).

    What would you recommend? I plan to buy one for this machine and one
    for my Home Server (bringing it to 2.75 tb, and leaving one internal
    slot open).

    Also, how about a RAID 5 external enclosure? I believe that for
    XP I would need to keep the size to 2 tb, So one that held three
    1tb drives might be perfect for large external storage.

    Thanks again to you all. You are great...

    Guest, Mar 2, 2009
  7. Guest

    S.Lewis Guest

    I agree. Go to the Seagate site and request warranty replacement.

    Unless you just enjoy running diags. ;-)

    S.Lewis, Mar 2, 2009
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Tom Scales writes:

    Tom> The Seagate's have been having well-known problems, so I'd wait. WHS
    Tom> supports >2TB Raid drives, but is it really needed with WHS? You can
    Tom> dual copy as part of WHS. XP doesn't support large drives natively but

    Where is the option to dual copy?

    Tom> DOES on the server.

    Tom> I'd go with WD 1TB until the larger drives are more stable.

    I just ordered it.

    I tried to return my broken Seagate to Seagate. They would not honor the
    5 year warrantee as I had bought the drive OEM from Newegg. Does this sound
    right to you? I have been on hold with them for about an hour, so I am about
    to give up.

    Thanks again,

    Guest, Mar 2, 2009
  9. Guest

    S.Lewis Guest

    I return(ed) my drive to Seagate via an email RMA request from their
    website. Went w/o a hitch though I cannot speak to the age/history of my
    particular drive.

    I believe the site confirms warranty status after entering the S/N for the
    drive on the site, thereby letting the end user know whether a claim can be
    made upfront.

    S.Lewis, Mar 2, 2009
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    S> I return(ed) my drive to Seagate via an email RMA request from their
    S> website. Went w/o a hitch though I cannot speak to the age/history of my
    S> particular drive.

    S> I believe the site confirms warranty status after entering the S/N for the
    S> drive on the site, thereby letting the end user know whether a claim can be
    S> made upfront.

    They are refusing to honor the warranty. The website said it was because
    it was OEM and I would have to return it to the maker of my system. Of course
    I bought it as a bare drive from Newegg --- who said it had a Seagate 5 year
    warranty. After 75 minutes waiting for an answer Seagate picked up, and had
    me email them the invoice. They then responded that the drive was out of
    warranty when it was sold (13 months ago, so that did not make sense). I replied
    that if they do not honor the warranty, it will be the last Seagate I buy.

    Oh well.

    Thanks again to all.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2009
  11. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    OEM drives must be returned to the seller, e.g. newegg, for replacement.
    Retail drives get returned direct to Seagate. Now you know why newegg
    charges less... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 3, 2009
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ben Myers writes:

    Tom> supports >2TB Raid drives, but is it really needed with WHS? You can
    Tom> dual copy as part of WHS. XP doesn't support large drives natively butBen> OEM drives must be returned to the seller, e.g. newegg, for
    Ben> replacement. Retail drives get returned direct to Seagate. Now you
    Ben> know why newegg charges less... Ben Myers

    Newegg gives one a month to return a drive. Yet they tout
    the 5 year (in this case) warranty. I had no idea that this
    was a "grey market" (which I well understand in cameras, which
    I am careful to be sure are not grey market.

    Oh well, live and learn. BTW, the prices at the Seagate site
    are not much more expensive.

    Thanks again,

    Guest, Mar 3, 2009
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    RnR writes:

    S> I return(ed) my drive to Seagate via an email RMA request from their
    S> website. Went w/o a hitch though I cannot speak to the age/history of my
    S> particular drive.S> I believe the site confirms warranty status after entering the S/N for the
    S> drive on the site, thereby letting the end user know whether a claim can be
    S> made upfront.

    RnR> I wonder if Newegg mis-informed you about which drive is under a 5
    RnR> year warrantee, if you can make Newegg come clean?

    RnR> Let me ask a dumb question but in your case what is the difference
    RnR> between the OEM drive you bought and what Seagate wants to warrantee?

    Nothing that I know of. It was a bare drive, no box or cable,
    but Seagate did mention the 5-yr warranty in their description
    of the product.

    I ordered a WD this time around. Next time I will look for a
    retail drive.

    Guest, Mar 3, 2009
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Tom> The Seagate's have been having well-known problems, so I'd wait. WHS
    Tom> supports >2TB Raid drives, but is it really needed with WHS? You can
    Tom> dual copy as part of WHS. XP doesn't support large drives natively but

    I found the option of dual copy (on fully separate disks) of the shared
    folders, but I did not see it for the backup data.

    I have over a terabyte of data I really want to keep. Movies (mostly
    filmed and edited by my son), and loads of photographs --- going back
    to the 1860s.

    So I was thinking of setting up two Raid 5 enclosures, backing up
    this critical data to them, and then keeping one off site, rotating
    every week or two. It would be protection against a fire or flood.

    I remember you getting one a few years ago for your TV recordings.
    Would you recommend that enclosure? If so I could attach them to
    my home server box and copy away...

    Guest, Mar 3, 2009
  15. Guest

    S.Lewis Guest

    newegg sells both, clearly labeled fwiw.......

    S.Lewis, Mar 3, 2009
  16. Guest

    BillW50 Guest

    In Tom Scales typed on Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:27:45 GMT:
    I never heard of Seagate honoring OEM warrantees before. And I had a OEM
    Seagate which failed about a month after I got it and Seagate wouldn't
    accept it either. Later I read that this is a common practice of
    Seagate, which brands their questionable drives as OEM, so they can get
    rid of them without having to deal with warrantees. It beats throwing
    them away I guess. :(

    Here are a few comments I have found under Google:

    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/619666-warranty-difference-oem-vs-retail.html

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427759

    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=83&threadid=2223633&enterthread=y

    I remember Seagate hard drives in the mid 80's of having the stricken
    problem (too much oil on the platters that the head was stuck to the
    platters on start up). Seagate never honored the warrantee on any of
    them (hundreds of thousands at least) and at least one company that made
    hard drives for Commodore computers went out of business because of
    this. It sure was sad to see Seagate screw over that many customers like
    that. :(

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Mar 3, 2009
  17. Guest

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on 02 Mar 2009 13:13:56 -0500:
    Sadly yes, it sounds right to me. Newegg tells you to contact Seagate
    for your Seagate OEM hard drive and Seagate tells you to contact Newegg.
    And neither one will accept it back. And they get away with this
    practice because it costs more in legal fees than what the hard drive is
    worth unfortunately.

    BillW50, Mar 3, 2009
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Conversation> Help with diagnosis
    Subject> Re: Help with diagnosis

    Tom> Never use the phone. Go to their website and find the warranty tab.
    Tom> You'll enter your serial number and they'll do the RMA online. OEM has
    Tom> never been a problem.

    That is where I started. The website reported that I had to return
    it to the system manufacturer. This is also what they said after
    the phone call.

    Apparently it is the same as grey market camera gear. Bummer.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2009
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    S Lewis writes:

    S> newegg sells both, clearly labeled fwiw.......

    Yes, it was marked OEM. It was also marked "5 year
    warranty". I thought the OEM just meant bare drive
    --- no box, no cables, no manual. Not no warranty.

    But one lives and learns.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2009