help with dsl and vpn/pptp and airport

Discussion in 'Apple' started by d. dixit, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. d. dixit

    d. dixit Guest

    hi all -

    I recently moved and have a new dsl/ethernet set up. previously I had
    the airport setup with a netgear router which was getting its IP
    address as a static IP from sbc. now I have dhcp and the dsl modem
    plugs directly into my airport.

    (note that I have a graphite airport, I have done a hard reset already
    and reloaded firmware, and am running 10.3 on a powerbook g4 800,
    802.11b airport card).

    when connected with the airport set to 'distribute IP addresses' I can
    use the internet but VPN/pptp fails to locate the PPP server.

    if I have the set up as do not distribute IP addresses, I can get pptp
    to work, but then I get an intermittent error dialog telling me that
    the airport and the laptop I'm using have the same IP assigned, and
    connection starts to hiccup pretty badly.

    I've tried setting the 'airport as bridge' and 'dhcp server on
    ethernet' options to no avail.

    anyone have a clue they could share with me?

    d. dixit, Feb 27, 2004

  2. d. dixit

    Bob Harris Guest

    The Graphite Airport Base Station does not handle the PPTP tunnel
    protocol. I don't know what magic is needed to allow PPTP to get
    through the NAT server.

    When you disable distribute IP addresses, you effectivily turn the
    Graphite Airport base station into a bridge between the WiFi and the
    Ethernet port.

    I got an Airport Extreme base station to solve this problem (and to give
    me the print server), and I have my old Graphite Airport base station at
    the opposite side of the house (via ethernet) bridging the ethernet so
    that I can have "roaming" and get WiFi coverage over a larger portion of
    my house (and out side on the porch).

    I would suggest getting either a 3rd party WiFi base station Cable/DSL
    Router (search http://dealmac.com or look at the routers listed on
    http://macintouch.com), or get an Airport Extreme base station
    (a bit more expensive).

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Feb 28, 2004

  3. d. dixit

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Actually, it does -- just not the way that Apple ships it. The
    graphite base station is the only Airport base station that can
    run Linux. If you boot Linux on it, you can get PPTP and NAT
    working together. This is not very complicated. Boot images and
    instructions are available here:
    <http://www-hft.ee.tu-berlin.de/~strauman/airport/airport.html>

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 28, 2004