Help with K7N2 Delta and SATA

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Travis McGee, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. Travis McGee

    Travis McGee Guest

    I'm sure somebody hear can help me...................please!

    I built this box recently out of parts I've had for a year or more. Anyway,
    all is well, EXCEPT I get a continuous loop trying to install XP home. It
    just won't boot from the drive.

    Here's what I've done:

    Did the normal F6 thing and installed the mobo raid drivers. ABout 20 times!

    Wiped the drive with Boot and Nuke just in case this OEM version of XP wants
    a virgin drive.

    Tried every thing I can think of in the bios settings. The sata controller
    is enabled, no raid configured.. The install goes fine except when it
    re-boots, it starts all over again. Driving me nuts!

    I'm guessing it's a bios setting, right? This Award bios is a bit confusing,
    though. I even flashed it to the most recent.\

    I've read a lot about guys having similar probs, but nothing seems to work.

    Anyone ever fix this?

    Thanks!

    Travis McGee, Jun 30, 2007

  2. Travis McGee

    Damon Hill Guest

    There's a BIOS setting to select a specific hard drive to boot from.
    I've forgotten which section as I always boot from the IDE drive,
    but I noticed it listed the SATA drives as options.

    Mine occasionally won't see any hard drives from a cold boot, and
    requires two or more cold boots to see everything. I've had some
    drive corruption issues with this motherboard, too, but I can't afford
    a complete upgrade just now.

    --Damon

    Damon Hill, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Travis McGee

    NotToday Guest

    Set the Bios to Boot from Scsi.
    Format the drive again.
    Reboot install Xp
    If you have IDE hard drives running with Sata hard drives ,disconnect
    them before running xp

    NotToday, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Travis McGee

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    Did you remember to change the first boot drive from the CD to that
    SATA ?

    Roger (K8RI), Jul 2, 2007
  5. Travis McGee

    Travis McGee Guest

    Thanks guys! But........still no joy. Tried all the suggestions. My best
    guess is this version 1.0, of this mobo won't boot from a sata drive.

    There is even an updated Raid/sata driver on the MSI site. What this one did
    do, was stop the install twice to install the drivers. Still no joy. The HD
    listed in the drive is:

    1. And add on card\

    Nothing else is listed, however, Windows can see it.

    I just ordered a PATA drive.......it's to much hassle to do much more of
    this:

    Thanks,

    TM

    Travis McGee, Jul 2, 2007
  6. Travis McGee

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    I've been using one (don't know the version though) that boots just
    fine from a SATA RAID. It was booting from a single SATA. Remember
    the K7N2 is SATA I and not SATA 2. If using SATA 2 drives the jumpers
    may need to be changed.
    I did not have to install any drivers for the single SATA, but I did
    for the RAID. That required setting up from the BIOS, then at boot,
    then at the beginning of the XP Pro install.

    Roger (K8RI), Jul 3, 2007
  7. Travis McGee

    Travis McGee Guest

    I think that's it! You are using PRo, me home. This problem is well
    documented all over with all the nVidea Force 2, 3, and 4 shipsets. There is
    a workaround slipstreaming and using nLite, but requires a bunch of stuff
    from MS to work. Not worth it to me. I'll get the Pata HD today and see what
    happens.\

    Thanks!

    Travis McGee, Jul 3, 2007
  8. Travis McGee

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    An OEM version of XP Pro is running about $139 at present.

    Roger (K8RI), Jul 4, 2007
  9. Travis McGee

    Travis McGee Guest

    Thanks Roger...but I already have Home, OEM, no returns. AND this dang mobo
    is driving me nuts! I replaced the HD with an IDE, and the bios won't
    recognize it every time. I'm loading XP as we speak, but have a couple of
    questions:

    Do the new mobo's support sata drives out of the box, or do you still need
    to load the drivers fot boot?

    I'm thinking I'll just scrap the mobo and use the parts for my old box......

    Anybody got a current mobo that ISN'T a pain in the butt?

    Thanks!

    Travis McGee, Jul 4, 2007
  10. Travis McGee

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    I have a ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe and a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 590SLI AM2
    Both recognize the SATA drives right out of the box, but you do have
    to turn them on in the BIOS.
    I've had no problems with either of the above, although I did have to
    update the BIOS in the ASUS. Updating the BIOS on both is very easy
    while the Gigabyte has a dual BIOS so if you screw up an update it'll
    revert to the old one which gives you another chance. <:)) The ASUS
    has something similar although they don't call it "dual bios"<:))

    Roger (K8RI), Jul 5, 2007