    Any Help Out There????
    Thanks
    John

    Bitsbucket, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Bitsbucket

    Bill Guest

    Abit AV8/ AMD Athlon FX-55.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Bitsbucket

    Amir Facade Guest

    : In article <f%lXd.8367$>,
    : says...
    : > I posted earlier and got no reply it may have been my header so here
    goes
    : > again!
    : > I currently have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo with a Barton 2500+ clocked
    : > 3200+ by increasing the FSB to 200MHz, it works fine, however I need
    more
    : > speed for mathematical functions...example, rendering a video for DVD
    : > burning.....taking an avi file and doing the conversion to make it
    : > compatible with all the set top boxes on the TV sets. I am into gaming
    : > SLIGHTLY like an occasional air combat type game, but this is VERY rare.
    : > have an ATI 9000 All in Wonder, and I know this is weak, but I am
    looking
    : > for speed that has not much to do with frame rates, more like the time
    it
    : > takes the computer to get work done....in the vein of Seti or
    folding......
    : > I want to get a new chip and MoBo. I want to use my current memory (1
    gig of
    : > PC-3500)
    : > Any Help Out There????
    : > Thanks
    : > John
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : Abit AV8/ AMD Athlon FX-55.
    :
    : Bill

    Seconded

    Amir

    Amir Facade, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Bitsbucket

    J B Guest

    Isn't it great spending other peoples' money? Last i checked the FX-55
    was around $1000US... maybe a little less depending on exchange rates
    and where you buy...
    Mind you, I guess John never specified a budget ;-)
    JB

    J B, Mar 10, 2005
  5. I don't think John will be happy until DVD rendering takes less 3 seconds

    Luc The Perverse, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Bitsbucket

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Luc The Perverse, Mar 13, 2005
  8. Bitsbucket

    J B Guest

    I wouldn't be either... Ideally I'd like to render a DVD in 12ms....

    J B, Mar 13, 2005
  9. Unreasonable expectations. Next thing you'll want a register add to take
    less than 10 ns

    Luc The Perverse, Mar 13, 2005
  10. Umm ... this was a joke right? On any halfway modern CPU you're looking at
    less than 500ps latency per add, and 1 add completing (on average) every
    ~170ps or less.

    K7/K8 at 2GHz: 3 integer units so 6*10^9 adds/sec = 167ps per add (500ps
    latency)
    Pentium 4 at 3GHz: 2 double-pumped so 12*10^9 adds/sec = 83ps per add (167ps
    latency). But the core can only dispatch/retire 3 uops per cycle so in
    reality it's limited to 111ps per add (still with 167ps latency).

    Michael Brown, Mar 13, 2005

  11. Yes it was a joke

    Luc The Perverse, Mar 15, 2005