    the country. I'm sorry you live where you get stuck in the ass with tax, so
    why buy from them then? I'm sure you could find another online store where
    you don't have to pay tax. JLC

    JLC, Nov 15, 2006

  2. It's be about the same timeframe for me - 5 years or so. They *are* better
    than the other places which do "drop ship" of everything but I think it's
    in the nature of the business to have the odd thing go wrong occasionally.
    Even since they switched to UPS? I've bought ~$10K of stuff for the office
    this past summer and it seemed like there was always some "critical" part
    that came from CA.:)
    I think AMD's packaging plant was the root of the problem - the green
    "eco-foam" had disintegrated, the little plastic clamshell had opened and
    the CPU was loose in the cavity. I find it hard to believe that the green
    foam broke as much on the final transit... to me, though, so I still figure
    NewEgg could have caught it before boxing it up.

    Oh I forgot about the Antec case which came with a broken latch on the
    lower front panel - Antec was great on that: no arguments, just shipped it
    out promptly. I figured it was their responsibilty since it was the fault
    of their packing material... which they seem to keep changing.
    Hmmm, I got some Patriot memory for a desktop back in June/July since it
    was on a combo special and thought I'd "take a chance" on it - has worked
    fine and at advertized timings on all the torture tests, including Orthos
    (dual core Prime95 front-end) - first time I've seen an AMD64 X2 hit
    60C.:) I'm starting to think that some of the DIMM mfrs, like e.g.
    Corsair, are doing a pretty good job now. This is not like the old EDORAM,
    SDRAM no-name solder-jerk shops... though yes, when it comes down to it, I
    hesitate.:)

    George Macdonald, Nov 15, 2006

  3. With what?
    Yep, I mentioned that somewhere - that they got "stuck" by Fedex. All the
    same, on small items, like ink cartridges, mouse or keyboard, their S&H is
    no better than anyplace else and way higher than the actual shipping cost.
    Take a look.
    It does contrast with his $9. though. I *have* checked my order history
    and stand by what I've said. I have not said that NewEgg is worse than
    anybody else but they *do* charge a *lot* more for shipping for things like
    keyboards and mice than they used to.
    It's not just a "presence which invokes the tax rule. I remember when
    Gateway started to charge us tax on all orders just because they'd had an
    exhibit for a few days at a conference in NJ.
    Look, JLC said, to one and all: "you don't pay tax" - he was wrong... EOS.

    George Macdonald, Nov 15, 2006
  4. On that point, note that the Plextor SATA drives do *not* work well with
    some non-Intel chipsets:
    http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PX-755SA motherboard compatability listing.htm
    - you'd think we'd be done with all that nonsense by now... and yet! In
    fact I'm not sure what some of the terms mean in that doc - e.g. they have
    a column for "SATA Mode" where they sometimes mention "IDE"... WTF does
    that mean?... it only works if the HDDs in the same system are IDE(i.e.
    PATA)?

    George Macdonald, Nov 15, 2006
  5. If that's an OEM license, good luck on haggling the new key code from M$.

    George Macdonald, Nov 15, 2006
  6. ANTant

    chrisv Guest

    Eh? I'm sure I paid about $120 each for a pair of Crucial DDR2 PC5300
    1GB sticks in August...

    chrisv, Nov 15, 2006
  7. ANTant

    chrisv Guest

    Like you'll ever notice the difference in use...

    chrisv, Nov 15, 2006
  8. ANTant

    chrisv Guest

    I disagree. There's definite price/performance "sweet spots",
    especially with CPU's. Will the ever be a piece of software, that
    runs "fine" on a 2.66GHz CPU, but "poorly" on a 2.4GHz CPU? I don't
    think so.

    chrisv, Nov 15, 2006
  9. ANTant

    chrisv Guest

    Correction, I have an E6400 that I overclock to E6700 speeds. 8)

    chrisv, Nov 15, 2006
  10. ANTant

    krw Guest

    Sure. The measure of a retailer (in fact any business) is how they
    take care of the inevitable problem. NewEgg has a pretty good
    reputation here, though I haven't had to use it.
    Sure. In the last couple of months. Of course UPS "ground" isn't
    always. At least don't think a brown truck can drive from Hong
    Kong to Vermont in four days. ;-)
    It's likely not touched by human hands. Automated warehouses are
    amazing things, but I doubt such a thing could have been caught.
    It's just too easy to cut corners testing/marking memory. I don't
    need any more unexplained hangs. XP is bad enough.

    krw, Nov 15, 2006
  11. ANTant

    krw Guest

    I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was a while back.
    They're now $150.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.asp?
    mtbpoid=B94AF461A5CA7304

    krw, Nov 15, 2006
  12. ANTant

    chrisv Guest

    chrisv, Nov 15, 2006
  13. ANTant

    chrisv Guest

    chrisv, Nov 15, 2006
  14. ANTant

    krw Guest

    Evidently!

    Thnaks for the NewEgg link. It's strange that Crucial's site is
    20% more expensive. Maybe the free shipping costs $25. ;-)

    krw, Nov 15, 2006
  15. ANTant

    krw Guest

    ....with your statement about NewEgg's shipping. I don't find it
    all that high, compared with other companies (mostly not computers)
    I deal with over the 'net. Certainly there are some things where
    the markup is so low that anything that can be saved is eaten up my
    shipping. I haven't found a cheap source of 2x4s on the 'net. ;-)
    So who's isn't? That's why it's called shipping *AND* handling.
    Ok, my income tax is a lot more than it used to be, also. Since
    there is no place local (forgetting Best Buy) to buy computer
    stuff, NewEgg is pretty decent price-wise. Their service is superb
    so I keep buying from them. I rarely even look elsewhere.
    That constituted a "presence". I'm sure they had to take out a
    sales tax number to open their booth. Your crooks are to smart to
    let them get away free.
    I don't believe he meant that "you" as personal/singular (error,
    but not the worst offense I've seen). I doubt if he knew where you
    lived. ...at least that's how I read it.

    krw, Nov 15, 2006
  16. ANTant

    JLC Guest

    I don't believe he meant that "you" as personal/singular (error,
    Thanks Keith. This guy is on some sort of hate trip with UPS & Tax. Like I
    said before. It's to bad he lives where they stick it to him, but the
    majority of Newegg shoppers don't have to pay tax. He is in the minority,
    when comes to this issue. I really don't understand why he's seems so hostel
    over this. Oh well. JLC

    JLC, Nov 15, 2006
  17. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    E6000 $315
    Not OEM.
    --
    "We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Nov 15, 2006
  18. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    [notes to himself, don't buy those SATA DVD burners even if it is from
    Plextor] So, why is Plextor brand still expensive these days? I know
    they were supposed to be good in the past.

    ANTant, Nov 15, 2006
  19. ANTant

    Tony Hill Guest

    Once again we see the beauty of "standards".
    The column seems to refer to BIOS settings, though it's not entirely
    clear what it all means. At a guess I would say that "IDE" means that
    it treats the drive as if it were a standard "IDE compatible" device.
    This is basically the same as "Combine" or "Compatible" on Intel
    boards. I know that on many Intel boards you can't boot most CDs
    without using this option (the above table lists some, though I
    suspect that most BIOSes now just set Combine as the default for
    optical drives), so it's probably similar on non-Intel boards, just
    under a different name.

    However that is just a guess. The actual explination could be
    something altogether different.

    Tony Hill, Nov 15, 2006
  20.
    George Macdonald, Nov 16, 2006