Help with Nvidia 5700 ultra and 1920 x 1200 resolution

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Vassik, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Vassik

    Vassik Guest

    Apologies for posting again but my previous message disappeared!

    I have the Nvidia 5700 Ultra 128MB and just purchased a 23" Sony monitor
    which has 1920 x 1200 resolution. My previous monitor was a 19" and the DVI
    connection was superb with razor sharp fonts.
    The problem is that to be able to the 1920 x1200 resolution on the new
    monitor, I had use the VGA cable and the difference in quality is quite
    noticeable to the point that I am seriously thinking of returning the
    monitor. The strange thing is that before purchasing the new monitor, as a
    test I changed the resolution on my old monitor to 1920 x 1200 and it
    worked, however when I connected the Sony it was not possible to accept the
    resolution under the DVI connection!
    Someone had suggested the option of being able to hack the monitor's inf
    file so to be able to connect the DVI cable and get the higher resolution
    and digital connection but I do not know how to do it and would appreciate
    any feedback or suggestions if there is a way to bypass the 1600 x 1200 DVI
    barrier.

    Vassik, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Vassik

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Vassik ordered an army of
    hamsters to type:

    Ive never had to do this so its just a guess and dont know if it will work.
    But isnt it possible to add custom resolutions and timings in the change
    resolutions tab in the display properties?

    Kokoro, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Vassik

    Vassik Guest

    I have tried that however the computer will not accept it. It will default
    back to 1600 x 1200 once I click on apply or ok.

    Vassik, Oct 26, 2004
  4. I replied to your other post that you said disappeared. Below is that
    reply.

    --

    You need to hack your monitor's .inf file. (make sure you have a backup of
    your original .inf file)

    Open up your .inf with notepad (or any text editor)

    Change all "1600" in the file to 1920. (assuming that your monitor can
    support DVI @ 1600x1200) if not then you'll have to change the "1024" to
    1200 as well. Save the file.

    Then reinstall the monitor with this new .inf file.

    I can't guarantee this will work. It did work for me and my Samsung 240t
    which also has (had) this same problem

    The reason for this problem with DVI at resolutions beyond 1600x1200 is the
    DVI spec does not officially support them. This is because the bandwidth
    (~165 Mhz) required for 1920x1200 and higher is more than a single DVI port
    can handle @60Hz anyway. Sad but true.

    A side note is to make sure you have the current nVIDIA drivers because I
    know at one time the drivers themselves wouldn't output DVI @ 1920x1200 no
    matter what the monitor .inf tells the computer it can handle. I have read
    that the drivers do not have this limitation anymore.

    Regards,
    Jon

    Jon Cortelyou, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Vassik

    Denis Freund Guest

    This will only work when the driver of the videocard offers the wanted
    resolution (the monitor inf file works like a mask, it doen´t create new
    resolutions). I would suggest to use Powerstrip (btw. the nVidia driver
    should give you the possibility to create custom resolutions too).
    Two solutions: Lower the frequency to 52Hz ([email protected] is just
    inside the 165MHz limit); if your TFT is able to accept a reduced
    blanking intervall, it will work with [email protected] I don´t know the
    specs. of the Sony TFT, but my 240T can´t handle reduced blanking. The
    23" LG Panels on the other side use reduced blanking to display the
    native resolution over a SingleLink connection.

    Denis

    Denis Freund, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Vassik

    Vassik Guest

    Thanks so much for responding here as well. I saw your answer this morning
    on my previous post but still could not see my original posting!
    I looked for the inf file and the Sony one does show 1920 x 1200 (there is
    not even a 1600!) There is also a Monitor.inf file under windows/inf
    directory with many-many 1600's do I need to change that one. In device
    manager the correct monitor shows up (Sony).
    Shall I paste the inf file here so you can take a look at it?
    I really do appreciate your help.

    Vassik, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Vassik

    Vassik Guest

    Well here is the latest on this saga! After many trials and phone calls to
    Nvidia and Sony on a hunch I borrowed a friends ATI Radeon card (9600 XT)
    dropped it in and was able to change the resolution and refresh rate as easy
    as pointing and clicking! No problems at all with switching to 1920 x 1200!
    Now the problem is that I am not very happy with the text color there is a
    pink hue to it but that has been since the beginning and reading through the
    discussion groups it seems to be widespread among the 23" monitors.
    Maybe Nvidia after all does not work well with the 23" monitors?
    Hope this helps someone else with similar problems

    Vassik, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Vassik

    dvus Guest

    Y'know, I have a Samsung 21" SyncMaster 1100p+ and I noticed that pinkish
    discoloration in areas with dark grey text. I've come to the conclusion,
    though, that it's more of an illusion caused by the proximity of the text
    and the whitish screen color since the blotches seem to "move" when viewed
    at different angles.

    dvus

    dvus, Oct 28, 2004