    make the sys boot from cd?

    thanks,
    peter

    peter, Mar 9, 2006

  2. peter

    peter Guest

    btw
    i have 11/99 solaris 7 software disk...that should be old enough for the
    sparc 10 right? what level of the os will run on the sparc 10?
    thanks,
    peter

    peter, Mar 9, 2006

  3. peter

    james Guest

    i've got Solaris 9 on an Ultra 10. X even works fairly well for a
    333mhz system. Solaris 7 even works on my old SS2 (sun4c), but i'm not
    using X.
    there's detailed instructions to be found on Sun's site on the open
    boot system and it's commands.

    james, Mar 9, 2006
  4. peter

    John Reddie Guest

    Peter

    The Sparc expects its boot CDROM to be on SCSI ID6. You can check
    whether this is the case from the OpenPROM, or, perhaps simpler, hold
    STOP + N as it boots to load defaults and then it will be set that way!

    I suspect though that you will have no joy with your CD changer as a
    boot device. Sparcs need a player that'll support an unusual block size.
    Many Toshiba SCSI devices seem to work for example, but many other
    brands don't.

    I'm sure others here will be able to fill in the (many) gaps and be a
    lot more precise, but I hope this stops you banging your head against a
    brick wall until they do!

    You may want to consider net-booting from another machine instead...

    John

    John Reddie, Mar 9, 2006
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    +++++++++++++++++++++
    the cd changer is a nakamichi mbr-7 with all of 2x speed :)
    after a bit of random keystrokes i got....

    "ok probe-scsi-all" returns (amongst other things)
    /[email protected],e0000000/[email protected],e0001000/[email protected],8100/esp00,8000

    "ok boot cdrom" returns
    Boot device:/iommu/sbus/[email protected],400000/[email protected],800000/[email protected],0:9 File and
    args:

    SCSI device 6,0 not responding
    Can't open boot device

    not sure what the probe-scsi-all is saying but it doesnt look like the
    cd is #6.
    how can i change it's id?

    thanks,
    peter

    peter, Mar 9, 2006
  6. peter

    James Sweet Guest

    Depends on the drive, most of them have a rotary or pushbutton selector
    on the back of the case to set the ID number. Make sure the end of the
    chain is terminated too.

    James Sweet, Mar 9, 2006

  7. That's it? The "other things" are probably the important bits. Does a
    CD device appear? What target?

    You should probably post the entire output. It shouldn't be more than a
    few lines in size.

    'cdrom' is just an alias for a particular target on a particular bus.
    You can give an alternate path to 'boot'.

    However, I really don't understand the :9 on the end of the string... I
    thought that should be a character from 'a' to 'h' representing the
    slice, and a sparc10 would want the sun4m slice of 'd'.

    Darren Dunham, Mar 9, 2006
  8. HI,
    The Lastest Solaris release that will run on the SS10 is Solaris 9.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Mar 10, 2006
  9. peter

    Rich Teer Guest

    The OP (Peter) is talking about the sun4m-based SPARCstation 10, not
    the sun4u-based Ultra 10 to which you refer.

    Solaris 9 is the latest release of Solaris that supports the SS10.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Mar 10, 2006
  10. peter

    james Guest

    sorry. showing my ignorance here. didn't realize there was a
    difference between an ss10 and ultra-10. afaik they were one in the same :(

    --
    - - james <at> hal-pc.org - -

    propaganda - ideas or allegations spread deliberately
    to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause.
    (ie. The modern media establishments)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    james, Mar 10, 2006
  11. peter

    peter Guest

    why is that? 64 bit?
    tia,
    peter

    peter, Mar 13, 2006
  12. peter

    peter Guest

    comments inline...

    cd changer is a nakamichi mbr-7 with all of 2x speed :)
    the target is 1
    th output list each of the 7, (0-6) cd's
    target 3 is the hd
    the :9 represents the fat fingers on my hands...it is indeed :d
    thanks,
    peter

    peter, Mar 13, 2006
  13. peter

    Claus Dragon Guest

    IIRC, drop of Supersparc (HyperSparc) CPU support.

    --
    Claus Dragon <>
    =(UDIC)=

    - Me, lately.

    Claus Dragon, Mar 13, 2006
  14. I wouldn't say that 64 bit was the *cause*, but it's certainly
    interrelated.

    Dropping support for sun4m reduces the amount of code that has to be
    supported. Once you make the decision that sun4m isn't supported, then
    all the remaining SPARC platforms can handle 64 bit kernel mode and you
    can drop support for 32 bit kernel mode for more savings.

    Darren Dunham, Mar 13, 2006
  15. peter

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    They also dropped UltraSPARC 1 support, so Solaris 10 won't run on my
    now-10-year-old 167MHz Ultra 1E. Of course, the bug that allows the
    processor to be stalled when running 64 bit code might have something
    to do with it ;-).

    Jeff Wieland, Mar 16, 2006
  16. peter

    Eric Edwards Guest

    The big payoff is to eliminate all 32 kernels, which they didn't do.
    They kept 32 bit x86.

    Eric Edwards, Mar 16, 2006
  17. peter

    peter Guest

    Peter did you ever get a satisfactory answer to your problem.

    all scsi cdroms have 3 id jumpers each having a binary weighting, of 1,
    2, 4 combining what is on and what is off sets up any id between 0 and 7.
    you will therefore want two set together, to set it to 6

    probe-scsi will tell you when you have got it rights.

    to boot from scsi cdrom to sparc you will also need to set the blocksize
    jumper from to either 512 or 2048, cant remember which one is PCx86 and
    which is sparc, but only one will work for sparc.

    then on sparc 10 you should by default have the 1st disk set to ID 3,
    and the second to id 1, this is just convention, and will ensure that
    its setup as sun intended, it does not mean that it has to be that way,
    its just how it was origionaly deployed.

    make sure your bios (nvram in suns language) is setup to defaults with
    the command set-defaults.

    now "boot cdrom", or b cdrom depending upon the prompt, ie OK or ?>

    regards peter

    then finaly when all its setup

    peter, Mar 16, 2006
  18. peter

    Claus Dragon Guest

    Well, if you take into account how relatively new 64-bit is to the x86
    world (*snicker*), you can hardly blame them for doing that.

    Claus Dragon, Mar 17, 2006
  19. peter

    Eric Edwards Guest

    64-bit isn't *that* new to x86 and, as far as I can tell, there wasn't a
    significant installed base of Solaris on x86. So that leaves new
    installs on old or improperly spec'ed hardware.

    Eric Edwards, Mar 17, 2006