HELP with overclocking gone wrong...

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by J B, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. J B

    J B Guest

    hey all,

    recently upgraded my system to supposedly an ideal overclocking rig.
    have noticed though that no matter how hard i've tried, the thing just
    won't run stable for me!!! I could run Prime95 for 12 hrs, but it'd
    crash running 3DMark03... now I'm at the point where it crashes within
    minutes of booting into WinXP. Here's my detailed situation:

    Abit NF7-S v2.0 (came with Bios v27 11/22/2004 from Abit)
    OCZ Dual Channel 2x512MB Platinum series RAM kit (OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K)
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+, cooled by ThermalTake Extreme Volcano 12
    Maxtor 160 GB and 300 GB ATA133 HDD's, cooled by a 120mm SilenX intake
    fan on the front of my case
    Asus V8440 GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB video card, cooled by Zalman ZM80D-HP
    dual heatpipe VGA cooler
    Seasonic Super Tornado 400W PSU

    BIOS details:
    200MHz x 12 = 2400 MHz
    AGP locked at 66 MHz
    CPU interface: Enabled
    Voltages: CPU 1.8V, RAM 2.8V, AGP 1.6V, Chipset 1.7V
    AGP Aperture size = 128MB

    CPU Idle temps were around 40C (from AbitEQ). Max temps under stress
    testing weren't over 50C.

    Could run Prime95 for over 12 hours with no errors on a few occasions.
    Run Aquamark no problem with a score of about 16,700 also a few times.
    Ran 3dmark03 a few times too with no errors, but then recently my
    computer crashed while running it. After it rebooted, I tried running
    it again but it just gavce me an error message saying something about
    "Display not available".

    Stupidly, decided to flash to TicTac's D23 Subzero modded bios SATA
    version 4247 using Abit NF7 Flashmenu 1.20 (in windows). made sure to
    reboot first and make sure that nothing was overclocked before flashing
    the BIOS. Did this successfully. Thought it would recognize my mobile
    CPU with the modded BIOS but it didn't... wasn't impressed. So I was
    going to try flashing with Merlin's Taipan bios 8RDA+, but it wouldn't
    let me.... then things started crashing. Re-flashed back to Abit's
    NF7-S v2.0 BIOS version 27 11/22/2004 using a clean floppy boot cd and
    awdflash.exe (from Abit-usa.com). Still crashing though...

    I've also noticed that often on the first screen where you turn the
    computer on (where it does the memory check etc, tells you what BIOS
    you're using etc) it's been sometimes showing some letters randomly in
    different colours - this has been happening since before I started
    messing with the BIOS. When this happens usually things go to shit and
    I get triangles and other weird ASCii shapes coming up all over my
    screen so I can't read what the BIOS Setup is saying... sucks bigtime!
    If I let it boot to Windows, I get weird lines and stuff in Windows
    too... weird...

    uhmm.... can't think of what other details to include here, but hope
    some people can help me....

    Thanks!
    JB

    J B, Mar 31, 2005

  2. J B

    FeMaster Guest

    Weird lines and symbols can be caused by an over heating video card...
    Perhaps your cooler got jarred or something.. Or maybe the fan quit? Might
    even be that the video card is simply failing for whatever reason...

    These are just guesses, and shouldn't be taken as a definite solution; they
    are just intended to give you someplace to start looking...

    FeMaster, Mar 31, 2005

  3. J B

    J B Guest

    Cooler still seems to be in good shape... if it was just the video card
    though, it wouldn't be making my system crash like that though I don't
    think, would it?

    JB

    J B, Mar 31, 2005
  4. J B

    FeMaster Guest

    I'm not sure about "crashing", but if it gets hot enough, it would make the
    system lock-up. Not really a crash, just a frozen system...

    FeMaster, Apr 1, 2005
  5. J B

    Ian Guest

    I think it could. Are you able to substitute another card for tests? or is
    there perhaps a BIOS upgrade from Asus for the video card? I'm not clear on
    whether you are overclocking the Geforce?? Seems to me you could be seeing
    signs of a too far over-clocked/over-heating card. Can you go back to
    fail-safe defaults in system BIOS? Another thing I'd try for the Geforce is
    to increase AGP voltage to 1.7 or even 1.8 volts. This will increase heat,
    but if we assume it's more of a clock issue you may find a higher voltage
    will help.

    Regards.

    Ian, Apr 2, 2005
  6. J B

    Ian Guest

    JB,

    I noticed your later post about Fast Writes, so I am believing your system
    is failing on video. My own opinion on Fast Write is that it usually is
    stable, but perhaps not with an overclocked bus. try the voltage increase I
    mentioned, if you can do that with your mobo. Good luck.

    Ian, Apr 2, 2005
  7. J B

    J B Guest

    Thanks for the reply :)
    I was running the latest drivers from Nvidia (v71.84), but when I rolled
    back the drivers everything seemed to work much better... I've seen a
    few people posting overclocked video card benchmarks and they're all
    using driver version 69.93; think I might install that version...
    anyways, seems to be stable now....

    I've tried increasing voltage before to 1.8, but didn't seem to help
    much at all. Tried everything, even underclocking the BUS, but with
    those newest Nvidia drivers things just seemed unstable.... I've never
    OC'd the video card though... always had the AGP speed locked @ 66 MHz.

    Thanks for all the help though!

    Justin

    J B, Apr 3, 2005
  8. J B

    FeMaster Guest

    The Video Card is almost certainly your problem if that is the case. I have
    read in the nVidia news group that the 71.xx drivers are causing video cards
    to severely overheat... Not your fault, but the fault of the drivers
    themselves...

    FeMaster, Apr 4, 2005
  9. J B

    J B Guest

    Yeah, that's what I noticed... even the 69.93 drivers were making things
    unstable... using the 45.23 drivers now and things seem fine... I was
    THINKING that the new drivers were causing things to overheat, but that
    was just based on empirical observations... glad I had someone affirm
    that for me!

    I'm almost certain now that it's a heat issue with my video card... got
    the Zalman fan (ZM-OP1) mounted to the heatsinks on my video card;
    swapped it to the 12V connector rather than 5V (which is what I had
    before); that helped. Think I'll add an exhaust fan or 2 on the back of
    my case by the video card too; hopefully that should help :)

    thanks,
    jb

    J B, Apr 4, 2005
  10. J B

    J B Guest

    Do you have a link to that discussion btw?

    Thansk!

    JB

    J B, Apr 4, 2005
  11. J B

    Dave Guest

    I think you nailed it with the drivers. My FX5700 was rock solid with 66.93
    but 71.84 caused me much grief, could not boot into safe mode to roll back
    and so I had to do a repair install of windoze to get the system working
    again.

    Dave

    Dave, Apr 5, 2005
  12. J B

    FeMaster Guest

    Do a search on "alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia" for this message
    subject:
    "71.82 Temperature Issue" Initial posting was made on 3/19/2005. There are
    a few others, but this one should help you out...

    FeMaster, Apr 5, 2005