    PS: I am not interested in swapping the motherboard for a newer one, or in
    overclocking the CPU that I currently have.

    Thanks for your help.

    Tiziano, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Tiziano

    pjp Guest

    I have one with a P733Mz in it, friend has one with a 1Gz. Have a saved post
    from awhile ago docs using same. Is the hassle worth it for 200Mz is my
    question?

    pjp, Aug 6, 2006

  3. Tiziano

    BC Guest

    Dear Tiziano,

    it looks like 1Ghz is the maximum, and, how much faster you can get from
    your current 800mz depends on the board revision:

    600EB-866EB
    *** 933-1GHz ^

    ***
    Older S1854 board revisions with marking "9900Y" or "9900YA" (next to
    the power supply connector, see ( image ) do NOT support P-III flip
    chips due to CPU change after initial board production. Older revisions
    will only support Pentium® III slot1 processors up to 733 MHz

    ^
    Pentium® III 933MHz to 1GHz (.18 micron) support applies to S1854 board
    revisions with marking "99PON" (please refer to the issue above for mark
    identification location) and have motherboard revision marking of J or
    above. (Look on the edge of the board located by the IDE ports for a
    small white box where revision letter is indicated inside)

    Here is one P3 1Ghz for $135.

    http://store.memory4less.net/bx80526f1000256.html

    And, for $119, free shipping:

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80606&prodlist=froogle

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Tiziano

    Tiziano Guest

    Great information, BC! Thanks for having gone the extra mile in helping me!

    Assuming that I have a 99PON, rev. J (or above) kind of motherboard, do you
    think that I could safely install a Pentium III 1.40 GHz, 133 MHz, with a
    form factor of FC-PGA2? (The 1.0 GHz recommended by Tyan has a form factor
    of FC-PGA. I am not sure what the difference is between FC-PGA and
    FC-PGA2...)

    Thanks again for your help.

    Tiziano, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Tiziano

    BC Guest

    Unfortunately, no. To use a car analogy, it would be like trying to put
    parts for a 1990 Honda Accord engine on a year 2000 Honda Accord engine:
    they are going to be similar, but not interchangable.

    http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/intel/tualatin/

    ***
    While the Coppermine was manufactured using a 0.18-micron fabrication
    process, the Tualatin introduces a first time ever 0.13-micron
    fabrication process. The Tualatin is Intel’s test mule for using the
    0.13-micron process before the P4 Northwood goes into full production to
    make sure everything goes well. Utilizing the 0.13-micron process, the
    Tualatin is able to achieve higher clock speeds while using lower
    voltage compared to its Coppermine counterpart.

    Let’s compare the differences between the 2 processors.

    Not Just a Speed Increase...

    Processor Coppermine Tualatin
    Fabrication Process 0.18 micron 0.13 micron
    L2 Cache 256k Full Speed on die 256k Full Speed on die (desktop),
    512k (server)
    Voltage requirements 1.65 1.475
    SMP Compatible Yes Server version only
    Packaging FC-PGA FC-PGA2
    Available Speeds 533-1000mhz 1.13, 1.2 GHz (desktop), 1.13,
    1.26 GHz (server)

    Looking at the chart, the first difference you’ll most likely notice is
    the die shrink from 0.18 to 0.13 micron like I’ve mentioned above.
    Shrinking the die allows the Tualatin to use lower voltage than the
    Coppermine. The Tualatin using only 1.45v will be able to run much
    cooler than a Coppermine running at the same clock speed.
    ***

    So they run at different voltages, which I am pretty sure means that the
    FC-PGA2 chip could be cooked by the higher power of the FC-PGA
    compatible motherboard.

    FC-PGA // FC-PGA2 difference:

    http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/intel/tualatin/2.shtml

    So, from what I see here, the 1.0Ghz PIII Coppermine is that fastest CPU
    compatible with that motherboard.

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, Aug 6, 2006
  6. Tiziano

    Tiziano Guest

    Thanks, BC, for such an exhaustive, easy-to-understand explanation! I
    really appreciate the great length you went in answering my question.

    Tiziano, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Tiziano

    nSurferx Guest

    You can find Pentium III 1ghz dirty CHEAP. Here's the link:

    http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/

    There are lots of stores listed there selling any cpu you want.

    I once brought a PIII Tualain 1.4ghz for only $47 listed there several
    months ago.

    nSurferx, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Tiziano

    todd5524

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    :rolleyes: I have a TyanS1854 Motherboard I'm using as we speak...
    it runs at 750 slot 1 FSB 100 but, On Tyan's site they list several
    optional type cpu's which is rare for most any other motherboard.
    Downfall of this is the fact that so many processors are incompatable to
    run via 100 or 133 FSB (Front Side Bus Speed) that it's actually hard to
    determine what processor your exactly looking for, even with the proper
    CPU ID. I'm having a very difficult time determining between all this
    Coppermine, and NON-Coppermine terminology. I know that this tyan board will support 100 FBS for slot 1 but don't think it will support 133 slot 1.
    I know the highest it will support in slot 1 cpu's in 866mhz. and 1g.370
    but I'm unsure of the exact type PIII FCPGA 370 socket type as described.
    Tyan say's that it supports exactly FCPGA Coppermine PIII up to 1ghz. but
    I had a unknown used cpu laying around pulled from an older computer that was labeled PIII/733/256/133 but thing is it booted fine, went to install windows XP and blue screen crash...errors of all sorts reading files from cd.
    took it out and popped in my other 750 slot 1, and worked beutiful, not 1 error or anything came up...? so whats the solution...???

    todd5524, Oct 8, 2006
  9. Tiziano

    AW_3_3

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Maine USA
    I have an Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 Rev. G Motherboard, With a Socket 370 PIII 866 mhz. I thought below REv. J didnt support higher than 733. What i want to do is overclock it to 910 by increasing the FSB from 133 to 140, but when windows starts, it either Hard-Reboots withough shutting down windows, or i get a BSOD in windows. Why does it work perfectly on 866 but not on 910?

    AW_3_3, Feb 2, 2007