Help with upgraded memory for DFI NF2 UI system

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Pete, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi:

    I have an XP 2600+ M system that had a stable overclock at [email protected] V.
    I was using the Hellfire Turbo Bios with OCZ 2 GB matched PC 3400 RAM
    (3-4-4-9). I decided to see if I could push the FSB higher, I would like to
    hit 250 so I swapped the RAM for a CORSAIR TWINX2048-4000PT 2GB KIT (1GB x
    2) 500MHZ MATCHED PAIR 3-4-4-8 184-PIN DDR). Both old and new RAM had a CAS
    of 3, which I heard is not so stable with the DFI NF2 UI boards. The
    Corsair RAM generates errors in Prime95 and OCCT at 220x10 under the same
    conditions that the previous OCZ RAM was stable.

    Also, when I set the FSB at 200 and use a RAM multiplier of 5:4 to get the
    memory speed up to 250 MHz, the system will not post. One other anomaly is
    that the Corsair RAM is advertised as 3-4-4-8, but the SPD is setting the
    RAM to 3-4-4-9.
    The chipset voltage was 1.8 V, varying this voltage did not improve
    stability and the RAM voltage was 2.9 V for the OCZ and 2.8 V for the
    Corsair.

    My questions are:
    is the new RAM defective, if the system won't post at 250 MHz (e.g.,
    DDR 500 MHz, 200x10)?
    anything else that I should try, memtest did not generate any errors?

    I will try setting the CAS to 2.5 and see if this influences the stability.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    TIA,

    Pete

    Pete, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Just as a follow-up I replaced the Corsair RAM with the OCZ and my system is
    running stable again at 220x11.5. I have a message on the Corsair forum and
    waiting for a reply. Maybe I will try to push the OCZ Ram, but 220 MHz might
    just be the limit of the CPU and board.

    Happy Holidaze,

    Pete

    Pete, Dec 24, 2005