help with zombified Gateway Solo 2150

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by BiAznBoi21, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. BiAznBoi21

    BiAznBoi21 Guest

    So last week, my beloved Gateway Solo 2150 of a little over three years was
    dealt a serious blow when I stupidly spilled iced tea all over it. This thing
    was drowning in iced tea: even after I wiped up the spill on the table and the
    surface of the computer, I picked it up and still more liquid spilled and
    poured from the insides. The computer was not expected to survive, according to
    the tech shop I took it to in a panicked rush.

    Solo was dead for a few days before it started puttering back to life and
    eventually managing to start up and operate like normal. It was no less of a
    miracle, but I can't help but think that my computer is basically a zombie now,
    with the following characteristics:

    *The keyboard sticks...A LOT. I mean, I practically have to bang my fingers
    against the keys to get a word in edgewise. When I turn on the computer for a
    session, the keyboard is usually just normally sticky...the keys have a hollow,
    muted sound. But then later on in the session, the keys make this...well,
    CRUNCHING sound. Almost all the keys make a crackling noise, as if something
    has hardened and broken underneath. The remnants of the iced tea, perhaps? How
    come this crunching noise only comes later on? I've tried lifting some of the
    crunching keys to investigate what might be underneath, but I don't see
    anything. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough? (I would have expected to see
    debris or something.)

    *The Windows date and time is constantly not in sync. I have to keep adjusting
    them every time I boot up.

    *Another strange thing that happened was that, before the start of this current
    session, Solo told me that the boot session had not started normally, and I had
    to press F2 to continue. Then when Windows started, it detected "new" hardware,
    which was my printer port, even though this is far from new.

    I know that these are the kinds of consequences I have to deal with after my
    idiotic mistake. (The computer now sits in pristine luxury in a part of my den
    where no food, drink, children, animals, and politicians will be allowed.) But
    I would like to know if there's any way, at all, that I can remedy these
    consequences, especially the keyboard. Will it help for me to clean the whole
    keyboard, or will I just have to put up with the stickiness?

    I certainly am glad that this laptop seems to have, for now (a grand total of
    four days, I think), survived the tragic pouring of iced tea. Thanks in advance
    for any help.

    Joe

    BiAznBoi21, Oct 23, 2003

  2. BiAznBoi21

    tc Guest

    The problem is caused by the sugar in the iced tea. If you can remove the
    keyboard, rinse it thoroughly with warm pure water and let it dry thoroughly
    before reinstalling. A small stiff brush (toothbrush) can be used around
    each key that is sticking to loosen up the sugar if the key tops are
    removable.
    Terry

    tc, Oct 23, 2003