Help : WMP and transferring files

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by duncanjamesmurray, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I've come across a problem to do with transferring music files from
    Windows Media Player 10 to an external hardisc.

    Basically, the problem is that I've created a large playlist in WMP10
    which contains about 1.5GB of music data, and I need to copy these
    specific files onto my external harddisc. It's simply too much music
    to go through each file individually to copy across, although I know
    they are somewhere in the 'my music' folder.

    Things I've tried already : Creating an M3U playlist and seeing if I
    can get a program to find the files. It seems that Nero can load these
    audio files if I'm burning an audio cd, but when there's around 100
    hours of music, it's impracticable to burn as audio CDs. However, if
    Nero can find the files from the playlist, I would have thought
    something else can. Another method I've tried is using the 'sync'
    facility in WMP10 - this works with USB memory sticks, and can transfer
    the files straight onto them, but unfortunately I don't have a large
    enough memory stick, and my external hardrive (also USB) is not
    recognised as a 'supported portable device'.

    If anyone can give any pointers or software that can do this, it would
    be much appreciated!

    Many thanks,
    Duncan Murray.

    duncanjamesmurray, Mar 6, 2006

  2. I don't understand your problem. Open both the source and destination
    drives (either on the same computer or on two different but networked
    comptuers), find the folder with the files on the source drive and drag
    and drop the entire folder to the destination drive.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 7, 2006