    description.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks, Mary

    laserdog, Aug 12, 2003

  2. laserdog

    laserdog Guest

    I wish I could help you more. This fellow sent me a personal email with his problems,
    I suspect he is a youngster, he does not communicate well. I think I have exchanged
    10 emails with him asking the very same questions you are asking. I have sent him to
    Belarc for the download and have instructed him to send me the results. He says he
    can hear music through WinAmp, but he cannot hear sounds. He says his sound card is
    enabled but it is "inactive due to an unknown problem". He goes on to say he doesn't
    know what CD in his collection has the sound card driver.
    Oh well... thanks for answering me anyway.
    Mary

    laserdog, Aug 12, 2003

  3. laserdog

    chainbreaker Guest

    Sorry I couldn't help more, but it's very difficult to troubleshoot via
    mail, as you know. :)

    Considering the person's lack of knowledge, about the only thing I can
    suggest is to physically remove the card (if there *is* a card) then boot up
    and shut down without it, then reinstall it, hoping that Windows detects it
    and offers to install drivers for it. You can do this without actually
    removing the card, but explaining for this person how would be difficult, I
    think.

    One could try vanilla Soundblaster 16 or 32 drivers if all else fails, I
    suppose.

    Maybe someone else will have other suggestions, but without knowing more . .
    ..

    chainbreaker, Aug 12, 2003
  4. laserdog

    Folk Guest

    VIA AC97 Audio Controller = onboard sound. You need to go to the
    motherboard manufacturers website for drivers.

    A lot of onboard sound solutions provide "Soundblaster emulation",
    which is for DOS support only. That's probably where he came up with
    "Soundblaster".

    Folk, Aug 12, 2003
  5. laserdog

    laserdog Guest

    He did send the Belarc report, according to it, he has Sound Blaster Pro or
    compatible. This is exactly what it says:
    NABTS/FEC VBI Codec
    Sound Blaster Pro or compatible
    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)

    I went to the Creative site but no driver is available for his system. I am so
    frustrated with all this. This is what it says about his motherboard:
    Board: 8363-686
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 06/08/2001

    If I knew where to go for help, I would go believe me. Will he need to update his
    BIOS? I cannot even imagine his doing this...

    Thanks again, Mary

    laserdog, Aug 12, 2003
  6. laserdog

    chainbreaker Guest

    Maybe this is what you need.

    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/information/1928

    chainbreaker, Aug 13, 2003
  7. laserdog

    laserdog Guest

    I have copied and pasted your message to my correspondent. If I hear back I will let
    you know. I really appreciate all the help I have received here.

    Mary

    laserdog, Aug 16, 2003