    It's time to make the jump from OS 9 to an OS not from the last
    millennium.

    Thanks in advance!

    Chris Tucker, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Chris Tucker

    Nigel Guest

    Perhaps using targeted disk mode and a firewire cable from another mac?

    Nigel

    Nigel, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Not from those disks. You need resources from the retail version.

    Howard S Shubs, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Chris Tucker

    matt neuburg Guest

    It's time to hang up those disks in your fruit trees as
    bird-frighteners! They are of no use to you otherwise. m.

    matt neuburg, Jul 21, 2006
  5. The retail OSX disks have the drivers for all machines supported by OSX.
    The machine-specific disks don't. It's unlikely you can hack them to
    install on your B&W.

    -Stephen

    Stephen Adams, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Chris Tucker

    Oxford Guest

    I tend to disagree, it's more related to the included 3rd party software
    and licensing issues.
    it will work if you boot the B&W using Target Disk Mode, then install
    the OS on the mounted drive of the (B&W) from the eMac.

    Oxford, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Chris Tucker

    Wes Groleau Guest

    "Legit" is debatable. The person that purchased the
    eMac got with it a license to use the OS installed on
    it and those CDs to restore it if necessary.

    That license did not grant the right to sell or give away
    the O.S.

    Now that the hair-splitting is out of the way, ....

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you
    what can't be done and why. Then do it.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein

    Wes Groleau, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Chris Tucker

    Király Guest

    I've heard this repeated a lot in this group, but is this actually
    documented anywhere?

    Király, Jul 21, 2006
  9. Chris Tucker

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    No hair splitting involved! The OS X disks included with a Mac specifically
    state right on the disk, "This software is part of a hardware bundle
    purchase--not to be sold separately".

    I think it should be quite obvious that the original poster did not obtain
    the disks in a "quite legal" manner

    TaliesinSoft, Jul 21, 2006
  10. Chris Tucker

    Király Guest

    Which, to me, means that the original dealer may not sell the software
    separate from the accompanying hardware. Have wither you or Wes actually
    read the licence for Mac OS X Tiger? Pay particular attention to section 3:

    3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend, redistribute or sublicense
    the Apple Software. Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you
    may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license
    rights to the Apple Software (in its original form as provided by Apple)
    to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the
    Apple Software, including all its component parts (excluding Apple Boot ROM
    code and firmware), original media, printed materials and this License;
    (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial,
    including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c)
    the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the
    terms and conditions of this License.
    It's not obvious at all to anyone who as actually read the licence.

    Király, Jul 21, 2006
  11. Chris Tucker

    Király Guest

    You might want to try actually reading the licence before posting that
    kind of drivel.

    Király, Jul 21, 2006
  12. That refers to retail sales. It does not apply to a consumer reselling
    it. Of course, it wouldn't do the purchaser any good unless the
    purchaser had a model of the Mac that the software would work with.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2006
  13. I've heard this repeated a lot in this group, but is this actually
    documented anywhere?[/QUOTE]

    Empirically.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2006
  14. Remember that the EULA can say all sorts of things which can be
    completely ignored if the country it is originally sold in allows you to
    (say) give it away, make personal copies or sell it. Many countries
    guarantee your right for private resale, and no EULA can diminish that.

    This is some of the reason for the "do not make illegal copies" (i.e.,
    since making copies for my private use is not illegal for me, this
    simply asserts a right I already have) and "where not otherwise
    prohibited by law" verbiage in a lot of EULAs. Though, these provisos
    do not actually have to be present for the original purchaser to have
    the rights provided by local law.

    The "not to be sold separately" statement is for original sale only. It
    has no effect on private resale in such locales.

    Short answer: it may be perfectly legal where the OP lives for him to
    receive these goods in a private sale. In fact it is against many such
    laws for Apple, Microsoft, et al to obstruct your ability to do so.

    Note that I'm not looking into getting into a fair-use spat with anyone.
    I'm merely pointing out that it is not automatically suspect if
    someone receives used software from a third-party in a private sale.

    Clever Monkey, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Stephen Adams, Jul 21, 2006
  16. RE: the OS X disks.

    I did not buy them. They were given to me. Freely, with no recompense of
    any kind.

    Sheesh!

    That said, thanks to one and all who tendered the sad news about the
    disks and my B&W.

    Oh well. Back to trolling through eBay to find a suitable copy of
    Panther I can afford.

    Rev. Jihad Frenzy, Jul 21, 2006
  17. You've done it? And the resulting installed system booted? Yes or no.

    Howard S Shubs, Jul 21, 2006
  18. Chris Tucker

    Wes Groleau Guest

    "Hair-splitting" is a concession to the possibility that
    the OP may mean something different by "legit" than we
    are interpreting.
    I have never handled nor even seen any Tiger materials. Yet the section
    you quote is exactly what I was talking about, as I _do_ read the
    licenses of what I _have_ bought.
    Yes, it's certainly possible that the purchaser of that hardware
    erased OS X before giving the OP those disks. I'm cynical
    enough to suspect otherwise, but I did intentionally allow
    for the possibility in my "hair-splitting" post.

    Wes Groleau, Jul 22, 2006
  19. Chris Tucker

    Wes Groleau Guest

    If not putting in every tedious detail makes it drivel,
    then so be it. I thought I split a sufficient number
    of hairs there, and did not need to split any more.

    But we'll split TWO more just for you:

    That license did not grant the right to sell or give away
    the O.S. and still keep it, unless you live in a jurisdiction
    where that portion of the license is illegal.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There are some ideas so wrong that only a
    very intelligent person could believe in them.
    -- George Orwell

    Wes Groleau, Jul 22, 2006
  20. Chris Tucker

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Did anyone say you did? I said "sell or give away"
    The quoted license said "transfer"

    BTW, I suspect 99% of such things sold on eBay are
    technically also violations of the license, as most
    of the sellers are interested in recouping some of
    their purchase expense, not in giving up their use of
    the product.

    Whether such violation is legal or ethical are two
    separate issues as someone else pointed out.

    Wes Groleau, Jul 22, 2006