    change the Baud Rate of COMM port to 57600 but don't know how to
    change the frequency? Any idea?
    Thanks in advance.

    sarah, Jan 31, 2008

  2. sarah

    Arlet Guest

    What does your .hex file look like ? It should look something like
    this:

    http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/misc/intl_hex.htm
    The frequency in the flash utility screen should match the crystal
    frequency on your device. It has nothing to do with windows.

    Arlet, Jan 31, 2008

  3. sarah

    sarah Guest

    Hi
    When I was searching this group I have seen this format. I checked it
    that time and again. I think the format of the HEX file is correct but
    I have copied the 3 first and the last line of it:
    :020000040000FA
    :1000000018F09FE
    518F09FE518F09FE
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    :00000001FF

    Is it any thing wrong?
    By the way the person who has sent me the manual says he can upgrade
    the Flash by the same HEX file.
    Thanks for your reply.

    sarah, Feb 3, 2008
  4. sarah

    Rich Webb Guest

    If what showed up in the quote above is what's really in the hex file
    then yes, something is wrong. For comparison, here's the first three
    lines from a simple "blink the LED" ARM project's hex file:

    :020000040000FA
    :1000000018F09FE508F04FE208F04FE208F04FE2E9
    :1000100008F04FE208F04FE2F0FF1FE508F04FE272

    By "can" does he mean that he is capable of or that he has?

    Rich Webb, Feb 3, 2008
  5. sarah

    CBFalconer Guest

    Yes. That is an impossible content for an Intel format HEX file.
    There is an entire chapter in ppmanual, available as ppmanual.zip,
    on hex format and rbm format files. You can find this at:

    CBFalconer, Feb 4, 2008
  6. sarah

    sarah Guest

    I have just made a mistake about the file I am using. I just create a
    page break in it. The file I can't upload to the Flash looks like
    this:
    :020000040000FA
    :1000000018F09FE518F09FE518F09FE518F09FE5C0
    :1000100018F09FE5805F20B9F0FF1FE518F09FE51D
    :10002000980000004000000044000000480000006C
    ..
    ..
    ..
    :10C430004CC4000000400040000000004CC400005C
    :0CC4400000000000000000402C3A00004A
    :00000001FF
    I have collected some information about the HEX file format and now I
    am more familiar with it.
    But there is a problem. While I am opening this file with Notepad, the
    format of the file does not look like this.But when I open it with
    softwares that can read HEX files like Tiny HEX, the format is like
    above. So I decided to make the HEX file again. I copied the
    information that was shown in Tiny Hexer software in a Notepad and
    arranged the page breaks same as above. But again I could not upload
    the file.
    What is starange is that when I use the below HEX file, I can upload
    ut to the Flash:
    :10001300AC12AD13AE10AF1112002F8E0E8F0F2244
    :10000300E50B250DF509E50A350CF5081200132259
    :03000000020023D8
    :0C002300787FE4F6D8FD7581130200031D
    :10002F00EFF88DF0A4FFEDC5F0CEA42EFEEC88F016
    :04003F00A42EFE22CB
    :00000001FF
    I am confused!!!

    sarah, Feb 4, 2008
  7. sarah

    Rich Webb Guest

    Microsoft, in its great wisdom, often believes that it knows better
    what you want than you do.
    Don't do that. If you want or need to check the file format, do not
    use Notepad. Go to http://www.sourceforge.net/ and search on
    "programmer's editor" for a lot of better choices. Or go to
    http://www.vim.org/ and download the One True Editor. ;-)

    Rich Webb, Feb 4, 2008
  8. Never, ever use Notepad. It's usless. Wordpad is far less
    broken than Notepad, but still vastly inferior to something
    like PFE or emacs, or vim, or several dozen other (free) real
    editors.

    Grant Edwards, Feb 4, 2008
  9. sarah

    msg Guest

    Or for simple editing just use 'ed' under cygwin (you only
    need 'ed.exe' and 'cygwin1.dll' -- be sure to use the
    correct version of the dll for the executable; if you
    get unresolved sym references, get a newer cygwin1.dll).

    Michael

    msg, Feb 4, 2008
  10. sarah

    CBFalconer Guest

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ which are here
    ^^___ Data length is 10 hex, i.e. 16 bytes
    ^^^^____ and load at address 0013 (hex)
    ^^____ this is a type 0 (data) record.
    and has a checksum of 44 hex ____ ^^
    and anything following, up to the colon, is to be ignored.
    The above are all type 00, i.e. data, records.
    but this ^^ is a zero data length type 1 record. The 0000 address
    says transfer control to the byte loaded at address 0, or don't
    transfer.
    Look up the reference I gave you yesterday, which explains it all.

    If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure you
    quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only an
    interface to Usenet; it's not Usenet itself. Don't assume your
    readers can, or ever will, see any previous articles. More details
    at:
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

    CBFalconer, Feb 4, 2008
  11. Watching an experienced "ed" user is pretty amazing.

    Watching an inexperienced "ed" users is pretty amusing.

    I am (and always will be) in the latter categeory. I doubt
    that there have been any new entrants in the former for a long
    time...

    Grant Edwards, Feb 4, 2008