    has an aiw or a vivo card. Did you get that kind of program and where
    did you get it.

    Thank you.

    DDC, Aug 10, 2005

  2. DDC

    J. Clarke Guest

    Just about any decent video playback program will use it.

    J. Clarke, Aug 11, 2005

  3. DDC

    DDC Guest

    Hmm is this true for vivo and aiw video card. because on my old
    9800pro i didn't had that dxva. So my guess is that dxva is not for
    all. By this it's important to know if it's include in a encoding
    software. like, i think... nero and uleadstudio9. Dxva is not mention
    on every encoding program so i figure that it's better to find out one
    that it does. That it does explain that dxva is on a big part of their
    product. Why is that, because i got my self a vivo and want every
    single bit of the hardware available for my use.

    With my 9800pro i was encoding an avi at 20 50fpsdepending on the size
    of the screen and other things but now with a x700pro it went up
    +25fps. Maybe drdivx has this feature the dxva and i just find out how
    cool it was.

    Anyway if you have any sort of news to share... go!

    DDC, Aug 11, 2005
  4. DDC

    J. Clarke Guest

    I think you have a misunderstanding about DXVA. DXVA provides hardware
    assisted playback, not recording. The 9800 Pro most assuredly does have
    DXVA.

    If you want hardware assisted encoding you need a capture board--the
    Hauppauge PVR series works well--or an analog-to-Firewire solution such as
    a decent DV camcorder with analog transcoding or one of the Canopus ADVC
    devices.

    J. Clarke, Aug 13, 2005
  5. DDC

    DDC Guest

    There is no hauppauge stuff in my x700pro vivo card, i'm not saying
    that you said so, but what i'm saying is that 1 the 9800pro don't have
    dxva because on the official ati web page it's not there. 2. My video
    card is capable of supporting dxva witch is relate to direct show
    video encoding, so it's a directx feature. Yes it's assist the program
    to do maybe play back but it also help to decode/ripping video, or to
    create a back-up if you like. dxva is a hardware feature to help the
    processing of reading and writing the video. Like decoding and
    encoding. Alone it doesn't do much but it help to achieve the
    processing of video processing.

    I did my research and been on many web page. I was getting here some
    confirmation on the related subject that i've start. That some
    programs might use that dxva directx video acceleration to read and
    write video. Yes there's program that do so and was like "asking" for
    that name of program.

    I wont ever by en TV card when i already got one. i just have to get a
    TV wonder remote and voila.

    DDC, Aug 13, 2005
  6. DDC

    J. Clarke Guest

    "MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, iDCT and color space conversion
    All-format DTV/HDTV decoding"

    That is DXVA.

    You do not need "hauppauge stuff" to have DXVA. Any DirectX 8 or later chip
    should have it.
    DXVA is "DirectX Video Acceleration". Here is what Microsoft says about it:

    "HDTV-capable MPEG-2 Decoder: A digital TV filter graph requires a
    third-party decoder that is capable of decoding High Definition Television
    (HDTV) video streams. Some decoder implementations may operate on both
    audio and video streams in the same filter, while others may have separate
    filters for audio and video. To achieve the performance necessary to
    support HDTV, the decoder should support Microsoft DirectX Video
    Acceleration (DXVA). DXVA is a specification for hardware acceleration of
    digital video decoding processing, with support of alpha blending for such
    purposes as DVD subpicture support."

    The above is cut and pasted from
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/d...cpp/htm/microsofttvtechnologiesinternals.asp>

    I believe that Microsoft can be expected to know their own standards.

    Only to decode. If you're RIPping uncompressed then it might do the trick
    for you all by itself, if you're decompressing and recompressing then it's
    not going to help at all with the recompression.
    No. Just reading.
    No, just decoding.
    Obviously not any that provide an accurate description of DXVA.
    It cannot be used to write video, just read. No programs use it to write,
    many use it to read.
    Voila you'll have a system that uses DXVA to decode and the CPU to encode.
    If that's what you want, fine. If you want hardware encoding though you're
    going to need another board. Don't believe me, fine, believe what you want
    to. If your CPU utilization is not 10% or less on analog recording though
    you are not getting hardware accelerated encoding.

    J. Clarke, Aug 14, 2005