    psu is a 300w
    win xp sp1

    what can cause that scary noise?

    FX, Oct 23, 2003

  2. HD bearings can generate noise.

    You should obtain Maxtor HD diagnostics. I believe it is PowerMax.

    Execute the diags. to verify that your drive is NOT failing ASAP.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Is your drive one of the nerwer Maxtor 54098U8 (UDMA100 instead of UDMA 66)?
    Mine is the older model and makes similar sounds - for more than a year now
    (still no bad sectors).
    So you *might* be lucky an nothing happens. It´s a Maxtor, not an IBM DTLA
    (lost 2 in 2 days !!!)...

    Cya -

    Joachim

    Joachim Klein, Oct 23, 2003