    Anyone know what gives?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Jeff Ingram

    Tom Scales Guest

    What machine? Are you sure your computer has USB2 ports?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Oh, I should also have said that I have a Dimension 4500 which I know for a
    fact has 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 on the front and 4 on the back.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Jeff Ingram

    User N Guest

    Do you get hi-speed with any other devices? What controllers are
    listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device manager?
    Does the 4500 have an enable hi-speed USB BIOS setting?

    I've never had to install any software in order to access USB drives
    on an XP system. Although some drives did come with drivers for
    9x, and utilities for that and XP. What kind of drive are you using?

    User N, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Jeff Ingram

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you install the chipset drivers? Is it the factory install, or have you
    reinstalled?

    USB2 works fine on my 4550, so it should work on your 4500.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Jeff Ingram

    larry Guest

    Are ALL the ports 2.0 or are some of them 1.1? Why did you have to load a
    USB driver that came with the drive? I thought those were usually for the
    earlier OSs like W98se and WMe?

    larry, Apr 18, 2005
  7. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    No, I have a USB 2.0 media card reader and a Canon 5000F flatbed scanner and
    none of them work without getting that error message.

    You've likely never had the problem because you've never reloaded your
    system from scratch. Dell had already installed SP1 and all the right
    drivers necessary for USB 2.0.

    I've had it working before, but now I get the error message.

    I know I'm forgetting something.......

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 18, 2005
  8. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Yup, I installed those, but that alone can't give you USB 2.0 in XP.
    There's something else........

    I've had it working before though.....I'd be willing to bet that you've got
    something in your Add/Remove Programs list that says something about USB.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 18, 2005
  9. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Yup, I've asked Dell and they told me that all of my ports are USB 2.0
    compliant.

    WindowsXP itself doesn't "come" with USB 2.0 support. You have to have at
    least SP1 and USB 2.0 drivers installed. You used to be able to find the
    drivers on Intel's website, but I can't seem to find them there
    anymore......

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 18, 2005
  10. Jeff Ingram

    Notan Guest

    Why Intel?

    Have you tried Dell's?

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 18, 2005
  11. Jeff Ingram

    Notan Guest

    By the way, my XP desktop arrived pre-SP1, and USB 2.0 worked just fine.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 18, 2005
  12. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    I've fixed it by peforming that last few steps from the link below. Bu I
    guarantee you, if you were to wipe and reload XP on your system, USB 2.0
    wouldn't work. You'd have to get the USB driver from somewhere. See the
    link below.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 18, 2005
  13. Jeff Ingram

    Tom Scales Guest

    You don't need USB drivers. If you installed them, that could be the
    problem. You need the chipset drivers and SP1 (preferably SP2).

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 18, 2005
  14. Jeff Ingram

    Tom Scales Guest

    I guarantee you won't. I've wiped my 4550 and my 2400 and all I installed
    were the chipset drivers and SP1 or SP2.

    Work flawlessly. Since I have over a terabyte of USB2 disk, I'm pretty
    confident of my answer.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 18, 2005
  15. Jeff Ingram

    WSZsr Guest

    Then you have a very "unique" system!

    WSZsr, Apr 18, 2005
  16. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Although the point is moot now that I've resolved it, that's EXACTLY what I
    just said. The USB drivers would have to come from somewhere and the link I
    posted to Microsoft's site explains how the service pack downloads and
    installs those drivers.

    By it's self, XP cannot use USB 2.0 since it wasn't built into the initial
    install. That's why one thing you have to have is at least SP1.

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Apr 20, 2005