Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DmsTech, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. DmsTech

    DmsTech Guest

    Hi
    I have a MSI KT3-Ultra ARU motherboard equipped with 2 USB1.1 ports and 2
    USB 2.0 ports. The USB 2.0 ports are supported by NEC uPD720100 chip which
    is EHCI (Rev .95) compliant. I understand that this was NEC's first attempt
    at USB 2.0 chip. When I attempt to use my portable USB 2.5" HOT DRIVE
    (which is USB 2.0) on the USB 2.0 ports I get the following error:
    "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub". I am running WinXP
    Pro with SP-1 installed.

    Before I get into more details on the failing scenario I want to let you
    know what I did to determine that all the hardware (motherboard, cables, Hot
    Drive) is not faulty. I have set up very simple test system as follows:

    1.. MSI KT3-Ultra ARU mother board equipped with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports
    2.. equiped with VIA KT333, VIA VT 8233A and NEC uPD720100 USB 2.0
    controller
    3.. AMD 2.5 Gig Barton CPU
    4.. Crucial 256Meg Ram PC2700
    5.. Maxtor Millennium G400 4X AGP video card
    6.. Maxtor 40 Gig Hard drive
    7.. D-link DFE 530TX NIC card

    I installed WIN 98SE and drivers from CD-ROM supplied by MSI. These included
    AC97 sound, VIA 4 in 1 and USB 2.0 for the NEC UPD720100 controller. Along
    with that I installed the required video driver, NIC card and USB HOT DRIVE
    drivers. I connected in my HOT DRIVE into the USB 2.0 ports and VOILA, I
    have a high speed USB connection. My 650Meg test file transfers in about 65
    sec. If I use the USB 1.1 ports the same file takes about 14 min to
    transfer. This definitely proves that all my hardware is not faulty as I
    have USB 2.0 speeds with WIN98SE drivers provided on the MSI CD.

    Now for the problem: I have set up exactly the same hardware except now I
    installed Win XP Pro with SP1 update. The USB 2.0 driver is provided by
    Microsoft through SP1 update as no driver is supplied by MSI for WIN XP.
    When I connect my HOT DRIVE to the USB 2.0 ports I get the following:
    "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub". I know it's
    running at USB 1.1 because the 650Meg test file takes about 14 min to
    transfer. When I connect to USB 1.1 ports, the test file transfer takes
    about 14 minutes due to lower USB 1.1 speed.

    The USB configuration from Win XP Device Manager is as follows:
    NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    VIA REV 5 or later USB Universal Controller
    VIA REV 5 or later USB Universal Controller

    From what I have read so far this configuration seems to be correct. I have
    read a few Microsoft knowledge articles and performed the suggested
    workarounds:
    -updating the USB 2.0 driver after SP1 application
    -checking USB 2.0 driver file details,
    -their base line is: 29-Aug 2002 5.1.2600.1106
    -mine are: 03-Jul 2003 5.1 2600.1243

    I even had MSI replace the motherboard for me in the hope of getting a
    KT3-Ultra 2R (I also have one of these, works great) in return, but no, I
    got the same model back as a replacement with the same problem.

    Searching the Web and news groups I have found many, many posts with exact
    same problem but no solutions. If any one has a hint or suggestion I would
    really appreciate your input.

    Thank you for any and all input.
    Ted M

    DmsTech, Jun 3, 2004

  2. DmsTech

    logized Guest

    Ted,
    Have you tried applying the VIA USB 2 drivers (these are in addition
    to those supplied by Microsoft in SP1
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298#windows2

    Dave

    logized, Jun 3, 2004

  3. On the KT3 the USB 2.0 chip is from NEC (uPD720100 - and not VIA).

    At least on mine it is - and I also have this problem, espescially
    when using a USB 2.0 Compact Flash cardreader... It sometimes help to
    remove it and use one of the other USB slots, but not always - it's
    very annoying!

    Rolf Egil Sølvik, Jun 3, 2004
  4. DmsTech

    DmsTech Guest

    Hi
    Yes I have, they actually have 2 INF divers, one for USB1.1 and another for Usb
    2.0. I have applied them both in various combinations without any success. I am
    in touch with MSI now and I am attempting to get an upgrade to KT3 Ultra2R. I
    will let you know if I succeed.
    Ted M

    DmsTech, Jun 4, 2004
  5. DmsTech

    DmsTech Guest

    Hi
    I have an update but unfortunately it's not a solution to the root cause of
    this problem. MSI support could not help me, or most likely does not want to
    admit that they have a problem, finally descided to RMA the board and
    replace it with a KT3 Ultra2R. It took many e-mails to get them to do
    this..This board has a VIA USB2.0 chipset and the drivers do work correctly
    to provide USB 2.0 speeds. I have one of these boards already.
    Regards to all.
    Ted M

    DmsTech, Aug 30, 2004