Hi-Tech C object file format and 'dump.exe' output description (compilersca. 1990)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by msg, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. msg

    msg Guest

    Greetings:

    I have posed this query to the Hi-tech C 'Other Compilers' forum;
    unfortunately it has had no traffic for more than one year.

    I would appreciate a description of the object file format
    and the output of 'dump.exe' for any Hi-Tech C compiler
    package (for any arch) dated around 1990 - 1991 or so.

    With a little work is is possible to deduce some basic fields
    in the object file by inspecting hex dumps and correlating these
    with some of the fields in the 'dump.exe' output but there
    are details which would take much work to discern.

    I know from time to time users of Hi-Tech C read this
    NG and some even have the old toolchains; your help
    would be much appreciated.

    Regards,

    Michael
    (msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org)

    msg, Mar 19, 2007

  2. msg

    msg Guest

    I stumbled upon the description in an archive related to
    symbol files; I post it here for future reference as Usenet
    archives are more permanent than most other Web resources:

    HI-TECH Software
    Object Code Format

    1. Introduction
    This describes the format of the object code recognized
    by the linker "link". Note that later versions of the
    object code have identifying version numbers in IDENT
    records. Early version of the object code did not have
    these version numbers. The presence of the version number
    can be determined from the length of the ident record.
    Certain features will be identified as being present in
    versions greater than some value by the notation (>=m.n)
    where m is the major ver-sion number and n is the minor
    version number, e.g. (>=2.1).

    2. Object Code Structure
    The object code (OCODE) is essentially binary, comprising
    a sequence of records, each with an outer envelope thus:

    | Length (16 bits) | Record type (8 bits) | Data (Length*8 bits) |

    i.e. a 16 bit length, followed by an 8 bit type, then
    a sequence of 8 bit bytes. The length is the number of
    bytes, exluding the length and type. In practice, the
    length of the data portion of any record will not exceed
    512 bytes. This places an upper limit on the size of the
    buffer required to hold any record.

    2.1. TEXT Record
    The major record type is TEXT (== 1). Its format
    (i.e. the data part of the basic record envelope) is thus:

    | Offset (32 bits) | Psect name (null term.) | data bytes |

    The Offset is the offset (in bytes) within the named
    psect (i.e. program section) at which the data bytes are
    to be placed. The name, like all names in this OCODE, is
    null terminated. The number of data bytes is found by
    subtracting the length of the name + 4 from the record
    length in the outer envelope.

    2.2. PSECT Record
    The PSECT (== 2) record is used to define program sections.
    Each PSECT record describes one psect.

    | Psect flags (16 bits) | psect name (null terminated) |

    Note that as a consistency check, the null byte terminating
    the name must be the last byte in the record.
    The flag bits are:
    GLOBAL 020 Psect is global
    PURE 040 Psect is to be read-only
    OVRLD 0100 Each modules data for this psect starts at
    relative location 0. The default is concatenation.
    ABS 0200 This psect is to be loaded at absolute 0.
    BIGSEG 0400 Means the relocatibility of this psect is
    multiplied by 65535
    BPAGE 01000 This is a base page psect - ignore overflows in
    relocations

    2.3. RELOC Record
    The RELOC (== 3) type record contains relocation information
    relating to the last TEXT record. It consists of a sequence
    of offset/descriptor pairs, the offset being a 16 bit offset
    within the last TEXT record, and the descriptor providing
    the relocation information. The type of the relocation may
    be simple relocation within a psect, relocation by the value
    of an external name, or whatever. Complex relocations may
    also appear, which are a sequence of operators and operands,
    to be evaluated by a stack machine. Each simple relocation
    record will appear as:

    | Offset (16 bits) | Reloc. type (8 bits) | Psect or external name |

    The name is, as usual, null terminated. The actual RELOC
    record consists of an arbitrary number of these entries.
    The relocation type byte is interpreted as follows:

    bits |7 4|3 0|
    | type | size |

    The size is the size in bytes of the quantity to be relocated.
    The type is one of:
    RABS 0 Absolute - no relocation (i.e. no change)
    RPSECT 1 Relocation within named psect
    RNAME 2 Relocation by value of name
    RRPSECT 5 Relocation within psect, less the current pc.
    This is required for machines using relative
    addressing. val = val + psect.base - code.location
    RRNAME 6 As for RRPSECT, but relative to a symbol rather than a
    psect.
    RSPSECT 9 Relocation by the segment value for the psect
    RSNAME 10 Relocation by the segment value for the symbol
    RCPLX 48 Complex relocation follows
    A complex relocation entry has, in place of the name,
    a sequence of operator bytes and operand bytes with
    further information. Where binary operations are
    performed, the top stack entry is the left hand
    operand, and the next to top stack value is the
    right hand operand. Both values are removed from the
    stack and the result pushed back on. Unary operators
    act on the top stack value. Operands like RC_VAL and
    RPSECT push their value onto the stack. The possible
    type bytes are as follows:
    RC_END 0 End of complex relocations
    RC_LOW 1 And with 0xFF
    RC_HI 2 Right shift 8 bits, and with 0xFF
    RC_VAL 3 32 bit constant follows
    RC_ADD 4 Addition
    RC_SUB 5 Subtraction
    RC_MUL 6 Multiplication
    RC_DIV 7 Division
    RC_SHL 8 Shift left
    RC_SHR 9 Shift right
    RC_AND 10 Bitwise AND
    RC_OR 11 Bitwise OR
    RC_XOR 12 Bitwise XOR
    RC_CPL 13 Bitwise complement
    RC_NEG 14 Negate
    RC_BITF 15 Bitfield extract - operands are
    value, bit offset, and length
    RPSECT 16 Value of psect - null-terminated name
    follows
    RC_MOD 17 Modulus
    RNAME 32 Value of symbol - null-terminated name
    follows
    RSPSECT 144 Segment selector of psect
    RSNAME 160 Segment selector of symbol

    2.4. SYM Record
    The SYM (== 4) record defines external and internal names.
    It consists of a sequence of name definitions. Note that it is
    not essential to mention an external name here if it is
    referenced in a RELOC record. Each entry is as follows:

    | Value (32 bits) | flags (16 bits) | psect name | symbol name |

    Note that the psect name will be null if the symbol is not
    being defined. That is, the psect name will be a single null
    byte. The flag word contains the same flags as defined above
    for PSECT records. In the low order 4 bits is one of the
    following values:
    NULL 0 The normal case when defining local or global symbols
    STACK 1 Symbol is a stack (auto variable) symbol
    COMM 2 Symbol is a common symbol - if it is defined elsewhere
    then this is the same as EXTERN, otherwise the linker
    will allocate space in the psect named, of size equal
    to the maximum value of any instance of this symbol
    encountered.
    REGNAM 3 Symbol refers to a register
    LINENO 4 This is a line number in the source code
    FILNAM 5 This is the name of a source file
    EXTERN 6 This is a reference to an externally defined symbol
    The psect name must be null.
    STACK, REGNAM, FILNAM and LINENO symbols are purely for
    use by a debugger. These symbols are not handled by the linker
    at all (other than to correctly relocate their values) but
    will be passed through to a symbol table unless suppressed
    with a -x option.

    2.5. START Record
    The START (== 5) record defines a start address. Only one
    START record may appear in a module.

    | offset (32 bits) | psect name (null term) |

    This defines the start address to be at the specified offset
    in the named psect.

    2.6. END Record
    The END (== 6) record is as follows:

    | flags (16 bits) |

    The flag value is currently unused.

    2.7. IDENT Record
    The IDENT (= 7) record identifies the target machine and
    specifies the ordering of bytes in 32 and 16 bit quantities.
    This affects both offset and symbol values as well as
    relocatable values in TEXT records. The IDENT record is
    optional, and the default ordering is strictly low byte
    first. If the IDENT record is present, it must be the first
    record in the file. The length field in every record's
    outer envelope is always stored low byte first, irrespective
    of the content of any IDENT record.

    | byte order (32 bits) | byte order (16 bits) | machine name |
    | version number (16 bits) |

    The byte order fields list the relative position of
    successively more significant bytes within fields of 32 and
    16 bits respectively. For example, the ident record for a
    PDP11 would look like this:

    | 02 03 00 01 | 00 01 | PDP11 |

    The machine name is null terminated. The ident record need
    not be present, if more than one ident record is encountered,
    all records must have identical byte ordering. The version
    number (>=2.0) occupies 2 bytes after the machine name. This
    is present only if the record length is long enough to
    contain these extra 2 bytes. If absent, the version number
    may be assumed to be 1.0. If present, the first byte is the
    major version number, and the second the minor version number.

    2.8. XPSECT Record
    The XPSECT (==8) record contains further information about a
    psect. Some object files may not contain any XPSECT records.
    The layout is as follows:

    | max size (32 bits) | relocatability (16 bits) | selector (16 bits) |
    | reserved (24 bits) | type (8 bits) | psect name |

    The max size field is a long integer specifying the maximum
    size of this psect. The relocatability field, if nonzero,
    specifies a boundary on which the psect must start, e.g. for
    the 8086 this field is usually 16, since 8086 segment must
    start on a 16 byte boundary. The reserved field should be all
    zeros. The psect name is the null terminated name of the psect.
    The selector (>=2.0) is non-zero if there is a segment selector
    to be associated with this psect. This feature is normally only
    used with segmented architecture processors like the 8086. In
    object code versions prior to 2.0 this field was always zero.
    The type field (>=2.1) allows the linker to verify that all
    module's contributions to a given psect are of the same type.
    This field must match in all modules for this psect. This is
    typically used by the 8086 assembler to encode the state of the
    USE32 flag for a psect.

    2.9. SEGMENT Record
    The SEGMENT (== 9) record (>= 2.0) is present in fully linked
    object files only, i.e. those produced by the linker. This
    defines a segment, which is a contiguous set of psects. The
    record structure is as follows:

    | size (32 bits) | base address (32 bits) | selector (16 bits) |
    | reserved (16 bits) | origin (32 bits) | segment name |

    The size field is the size of the segment in bytes. The base
    address is the physical base address of the segment. This is
    not necessarily the same as the origin, which is the address
    used when references to this segment were relocated. These
    correspond to the load and link addresses respectively of
    the psects comprising the segment. The selector is the segment
    selector value used in referring to this segment. This is of
    relevance mainly for 8086 family processors. The segment name
    is the name of the first psect comprising this segment.

    2.10. XSYM Record
    The XSYM (== 10) record (>= 2.1) is similar to the SYM record
    but also defines a selector value for the symbol. The record
    layout is as follows:

    | value (32 bits) | flags (16 bits) | selector (16 bits) | name |

    The selector value is the selector of the segment within which
    the symbol is located.

    2.11. SIGNAT Record
    The SIGNAT (== 11) record (>=2.1) defines a signature for a
    symbol. At link time all signatures for a symbol are compared
    and must be identical. If a signature is not the same, an error
    message is issued. The record layout is as follows:

    | signature (16 bits) | symbol name |

    2.12. FNINFO Record
    The FNINFO (== 12) record (>= 2.3) provides information
    necessary for call-graphing and local data allocation for
    non-reentrant functions. Within a record are concatenated one
    or more instances of the following layouts. Each instance is
    variable length, depending on name lengths.

    | FNCALL (1) | caller name | callee name |
    | FNARG (2) | caller name | callee name |
    | FNINDIR (3) | caller name | callee signature (16 bits) |
    | FNADDR (4) | function name | signature (16 bits) |
    | FNSIZE (5) | func name | local size (32 bits) | arg size (32 bits) |
    | FNROOT (6) | func name |

    The FNCALL instance specifies that one function directly calls
    another. The FNARG instance specifies that one function will
    have arguments built while another is called. The FNINDIR
    instance specifies that a function calls indirectly another
    (unknown) function, whose signature is as specified. The
    FNADDR instance specifies that the function has its address
    taken (and is thus a candidate for being called indirectly)
    and its signature. The FNSIZE instance specifies the local
    variable block size and the argument block size for a function.
    The FNROOT instance specifies that this function is the root
    of a call graph (either the main function or an interrupt
    function).

    2.13. FNCONF Record
    The FNCONF (== 13) record (>=2.3) provides environmental
    information for call-graphing and local data allocation
    purposes. The layout comprises three null-terminated strings
    as follows:

    | psect name | local data prefix | argument prefix |

    The psect name is the name of the psect in which local data
    and argument blocks should be allocated by the linker. The
    local data and argument prefixes are the strings which should
    be prepended to a function name to derive the names for the
    local data and argument blocks for a given function.

    3. NOTES
    No padding or fill bytes are stored in the object file, i.e.
    no alignment of the records is done. Do not attempt to read
    or write object files using structures, i.e. all records must
    be built up byte-by-byte in a char array.

    msg, Mar 20, 2007