    I haven't been able to find a way to hibernate or suspend with this
    motherboard, running XP Pro. Is it simply not supported? TIA.

    Dan

    man, Apr 26, 2008

  2. man

    man Guest

    Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
    I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
    second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.

    However, in Windows XP, Control Panel, Power Options, there's no mention
    of suspend. I'm only given the option of powering off immediately when
    pressing the power button or do nothing or being asked what to do. When
    asked, I can only Turn Off or Restart. Standby is greyed out. Why is it
    greyed out? Windows help says the options in Power Options will reflect
    what's supported by the motherboard, i.e. the BIOS. I don't see a
    setting in the BIOS to enable it. It's already set up in BIOS.

    Dan

    man, Apr 26, 2008

  3. man

    man Guest

    :On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:41:47 -0700, Dan Musicant ()
    :wrote:
    :
    :>Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
    :>I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
    :>second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.
    :>
    :>However, in Windows XP, Control Panel, Power Options, there's no mention
    :>of suspend. I'm only given the option of powering off immediately when
    :>pressing the power button or do nothing or being asked what to do. When
    :>asked, I can only Turn Off or Restart. Standby is greyed out. Why is it
    :>greyed out? Windows help says the options in Power Options will reflect
    :>what's supported by the motherboard, i.e. the BIOS. I don't see a
    :>setting in the BIOS to enable it. It's already set up in BIOS.
    :
    :In order for standby to work, you have to install the Windows XP
    :driver for the video card.

    Hmm. I'm running a BFG nvidia 6600 GTOC, using the 8.4.2.1 driver, which
    I was told is the best for this video card. It's dated 3/9/2006. I'd
    have to believe it supports XP. Anyway, based on what you say I'm
    downloading the latest nVidia driver, 162.73_quadro_winxp2k_english.exe,
    a 37 MB file. I'll remove my display adapter, reboot and install it and
    see what happens. Thanks.

    Dan

    man, Apr 27, 2008
  4. man

    :wrote:
    :
[...]

    After removing my display adapter and rebooting, I tried to install that
    driver I mentioned in my last post ( 162.73_quadro_winxp2k_english.exe),
    but a message eventually came up that it couldn't support the
    hardware/software (don't recall the exact wording) and the installation
    terminated. So, I looked around in my downloads folder and found another
    nvidia driver, which indicated XP and Windows 2000 support in the file
    name: 66.93_win2kxp_international.exe, and my notes indicate this is a
    WHQL approved driver. I installed it instead, and the ACPI support
    appears to have NOT changed.

    Under Computer in Device Manager it says:

    ACPI Uniprocessor PC

    I presume that means that XP install determined that the system is
    capable of ACPI support and that it was enabled. However, when I shut
    down the system in Task Manager the first two items are greyed out:

    Stand By (greyed out)
    Hibernate (greyed out)
    Turn Off
    Restart
    Log Off <my name>
    Switch User

    I'm wondering if I should try another XP installation, first removing
    all my PCI cards.

    I have the latest BIOS installed for my motherboard, F14.

    Today being Sunday, I will wait until tomorrow before calling Gigabyte
    support.

    man, Apr 27, 2008
  5. man

    man Guest

    :All you should have to do is uninstall the old graphics driver,
    :reboot, then install the new graphics driver, and reboot again.

    OK, so I downloaded the latest nVidia WHQL driver, the one you linked me
    to today ( 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe ) and I was
    about to do as you say above when I thought I'd continue what I was
    doing earlier in the day before I took a break from all this -- I had
    done a google on "standby greyed out" and got lots of hits. On the
    second Google page was this one:

    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=81547

    A guy suggested the fellow having the problem do an Everest Home Edition
    report and paste it in a post. Having the program already installed, I
    did a report and started searching through it for a clue. I left off at
    around 25% into the long report. Just now, I decided to look further
    into the report before uninstalling my display driver and installing the
    new one. I noticed this about my rather newish 500 GB SATA HD:

    [ SAMSUNG HD501LJ (S0MUJ1PP310938) ]

    ATA Device Properties:
    Model ID SAMSUNG HD501LJ
    Serial Number S0MUJ1PP310938
    Revision CR100-10
    Parameters 969021 cylinders, 16 heads, 63
    sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
    LBA Sectors 976773168
    Buffer 16 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
    Multiple Sectors 16
    ECC Bytes 4
    Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
    Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
    Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    Unformatted Capacity 516064 MB

    ATA Device Features:
    SMART Supported
    Security Mode Supported
    Power Management Supported
    Advanced Power Management Not Supported
    Write Cache Supported
    Host Protected Area Supported
    Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
    Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
    48-bit LBA Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay Supported

    ATA Device Manufacturer:
    Company Name Samsung
    Product Information
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
    - - - -
    In particular, I noticed where it said:

    Advanced Power Management Not Supported
    ....and...
    Power-Up In Standby Not Supported

    So, I figuring it was another wild goose chase (I've been doing them all
    weekend trying to resolve this!), I went into the BIOS and disabled SATA
    HD support. Upon rebooting, my 500 GB SATA drive is no longer seen, but
    my Standby and Hibernate are suddenly ENABLED!

    I find this amazing. SATA HD's are supposed to be an advance, a relative
    newcomer in the PC storage scene, and installing one has disabled my
    ACPI! I wonder if there is a workaround? Maybe if I get an SATA
    controller card?? Or maybe if I get a different SATA HD?

    Dan
    :
    :On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:57:02 GMT, Dan Musicant ()
    :wrote:
    :
    :>
    :>:wrote:
    :>:
    :>:>Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
    :>:>I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
    :>:>second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.
    :>:>

    man, Apr 28, 2008
  6. man

    Paul Guest

    I checked my Everest report, and I have an older Seagate drive, not even
    a SATA drive. My ATA Device Features are the same as yours, only
    my "Automatic Acoustic Management" is "Not Supported". And my ACPI
    is working. I'd say you're on to something, but it may not be the
    hard drive. It could be the driver that controls the SATA interface,
    whatever one is being used. Possible drivers would be a default
    Microsoft one, or a chipset driver you installed when you used
    the motherboard CD.

    There is a program called "dummpo.exe" you can get from Microsoft. One
    web site (a site in France), showed an example where dumppo had highlighted
    a driver as not being compatible with ACPI. Implying that dumppo could
    detect a problem. I'm not as hopeful myself, suspecting that it cannot
    detect every problem. But maybe, if it uses the same logic and checks
    the same facilities as the OS does, it will arrive at a correct answer.

    Look for "LEGACY DRIVER DETECTED" on this page. This is a very large web page,
    so allow a couple minutes for it to render. This is an archived copy.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040404074824/http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

    Dumppo runs in a DOS command box, and doesn't have a GUI. The following
    is from a previous posting.

    *******
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

    dumppo options:

    CAP = Capabilities
    PS = Power Supply
    BS = Battery Supply
    ADMIN = Administration
    AC = AC Power Settings
    DC = DC Power Settings
    AC MAXSLEEP=Sx
    AC MINSLEEP=Sx
    where x is the ACPI value (1 & 3)

    You run the program in a command (DOS) window, and a basic command to
    try would be "dumppo cap" to get capabilities.

    Some other users having fun with Dumppo here:

    "dumppo admin /ac minsleep=S3"
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=1825058&postcount=31
    *******

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 28, 2008
  7. man

    man Guest

    : wrote:
    :>
[...]
    :> - - - -
    :> In particular, I noticed where it said:
    :>
    :> Advanced Power Management Not Supported
    :> ...and...
    :*******
[...]

    Thanks. I had the idea to disconnect the HD from the PC and see if ACPI
    was working when SATA was enabled. If it did, then I could assume that
    the HD was at fault, and not the SATA driver or chip. My experiment this
    morning confirmed this, i.e. ACPI still didn't work when the HD was
    disconnected, so I figured I could rule out problems with the Samsung
    HD. Further experimenting revealed that (while leaving SATA Enabled)
    changing the "Serial ATA Function" in the BIOS from BASE to RAID
    restored ACPI functionality, and that my SATA HD appears to function OK
    with that setting.

    I have no idea why this would be so. It's either a workaround or maybe
    it's supposed to work that way, I don't know. I have no intention of
    setting up a RAID array of any kind at this time. I figured that this
    being the case, and having only one SATA HD installed, that BASE was the
    proper setting for that function in the BIOS. Maybe I was mistaken, or
    maybe it's a glitch in the driver. Maybe I should contact Gigabyte and
    ask for an explanation. I'm wondering if there's a downside to running
    the single SATA HD as RAID.

    Unfortunately, the installation CD for this MB is unreadable. It's
    fairly warped and my DVD burner can't read it. I tried to unwarp it by
    pressing between flat surfaces, clamped in the oven at 150F for over an
    hour, but the experiment failed! Meantime, I'd downloaded a slew of
    drivers for the MB from Gigabyte's website and installed them after
    that a manual was included with the MB (packaged as new, and obviously
    new although the MB is from 2004 or so), that's entitled:

    SATA RAID Function
    (Only for Chipset SiI3112 Used)
    -------------------------------------
    User's Manual

    However, I downloaded the driver for this (at the page for this MB), and
    tried to install it and the installation failed. I looked up the spec
    for the MB at Gigabyte's website and it says the included chip is
    SiI3512! That's the one shown as correctly installed in Device Manager.
    Since changing the Serial ATA Function from BASE to RAID, a yellow
    question mark has disappeared from Device Manager for a disk controller,
    so I guess that change was advisable.

    Dan

    man, Apr 28, 2008
  8. man

    Andy Guest

    To run the SiI3512 interface in BASE mode, use this driver:
    <http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-x86-1.3.68.2-logo.zip>
    from
    <http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&>.

    Andy, Apr 29, 2008
  9. man

    man Guest

    :To run the SiI3512 interface in BASE mode, use this driver:
    :<http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-x86-1.3.68.2-logo.zip>
    :from
    :<http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&>.

    Thanks Andy. Appreciated.

    Dan
    :On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:59:08 -0700, Dan Musicant ()
    :wrote:
    :
    :>
    :>: wrote:
    :>:>
[...]
    :>:> - - - -
    :>:> In particular, I noticed where it said:
    :>:>
    :>:> Advanced Power Management Not Supported
    :>:> ...and...
    :>:
    :>:*******
    :>:ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe
    :>:
    :>:dumppo options:
    :>:
    :>: CAP = Capabilities
    :>: PS = Power Supply
    :>: BS = Battery Supply
    :>: ADMIN = Administration
    :>: AC = AC Power Settings
    :>: DC = DC Power Settings
    :>: AC MAXSLEEP=Sx
    :>: AC MINSLEEP=Sx
    :>: where x is the ACPI value (1 & 3)
    :>:
    :>:"dumppo admin /ac minsleep=S3"
    :>:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=1825058&postcount=31
    :>:*******
    :>:
    :>:HTH,
    :>: Paul
    :>
[...]
    :>-------------------------------------
    :>User's Manual
    :>

    man, Apr 29, 2008
  10. man

    man Guest

    :
    :To run the SiI3512 interface in BASE mode, use this driver:
    :<http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-x86-1.3.68.2-logo.zip>
    :from
    :<http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&>.

    Thanks again, Andy. I was skeptical, but this does work. Windows didn't
    want to install the driver, and I wasn't sure how to go about it. The
    readme.htm file included wanted me to install a PCI card and have
    Windows ask me to install new HD. Obviously I couldn't do that.

    What I did was ask Windows to update the driver for the controller that
    was already installed, and I pointed to the directory where I exploded
    the download zip. Windows said it couldn't confirm that it would work
    and it was risky. I went through with it anyway, rebooted, changed to
    BASE in the BIOS for the SATA controller and the device is working and I
    have Suspend and Hibernate. Hopefully, the anomalies I've been having
    the last day or so will disappear as well, including a lockup when I
    woke the system from suspend, the system being unwilling to awake from
    suspend by Alarm, and inaccessible taskbar and occasional Explorer
    windows!

    What seems strange is that apparently if I want to change my
    configuration to SATA RAID, I'll have to install the other driver,
    replacing this one.

    Dan

    man, Apr 29, 2008
  11. man

    man Guest

    :Dan Musicant wrote:
    :
    :[big snip]
    :
[...]
    :> -------------------------------------
    :> User's Manual
    :>
    :> However, I downloaded the driver for this (at the page for this MB),
    :> and tried to install it and the installation failed. I looked up the
    :> spec for the MB at Gigabyte's website and it says the included chip is
    :> SiI3512! That's the one shown as correctly installed in Device
    :> Manager. Since changing the Serial ATA Function from BASE to RAID, a
    :> yellow question mark has disappeared from Device Manager for a disk
    :> controller, so I guess that change was advisable.
    :>
    :> Dan
    :
    :Setting a hard drive to RAID has no negative consequences. What it does
    :do is support SATA drive functions, such as AHCI. On my Asus MB, the
    :selection is IDE, AHCI and RAID. Running one drive in RAID mode simply
    :provides the AHCI driver for the SATA drive. It makes no difference if
    :it's set to RAID, or AHCI. The advantage is having Native Command
    :Queuing, or faster accesses with certain types of files.
    :
    :You can, of course, run it as a IDE drive, using MS standard drivers.
    :

    Well, I installed the SATALink driver for the siI3512, latest version,
    the one Andy linked me to and although Standby and Hibernation are
    enabled, I have been finding that unless the machine's only been asleep
    a short while (haven't kept stats) the machine does not successfully
    restore to Windows. Video never comes up. In hibernate, the machine
    posts OK and then it reports that Windows is starting a restore from
    hibernation and after 10 seconds or so the screen goes blank (soft
    glow), the numlock-on light appears on my keyboard (I never use numlock)
    and the machine becomes completely unresponsive necessitating a reset.

    I get similar behavior using S3 Standby (don't recall if the numlock
    light goes on, however).

    I just did an experiment, being removal of the driver mentioned above, a
    switch to RAID for the SATA device in the BIOS and installation of the
    RAID SATA driver currently at Gigabyte's site for my GA-K8N Pro MB. I
    brought the machine into hibernation and came back in 3 hours and it did
    restore, so I'm hopeful. Could just be a coincidence that it worked this
    time, and I will be monitoring the situation. Maybe with a 12 hour
    lapse, it will fail again.

    Dan

    man, May 1, 2008
  12. man

    man Guest

    After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
    Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
    Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
    went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
    driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
    correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
    a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
    ACPI behavior.

    Dan

    man, May 2, 2008
  13. man

    man Guest

    :After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
    :Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
    :Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
    :went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
    :driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
    :correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
    :a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
    :ACPI behavior.
    :
    :Dan

    The experiment failed. I just tried to restore from hibernation and the
    system went into deep sleep, no video, the numlock light on... ergo,
    reset. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

    man, May 2, 2008
  14. man

    man Guest

    :On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:31:04 -0700, Dan Musicant ()
    :wrote:
    :
    :>On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:25:59 -0700, Dan Musicant ()
    :>wrote:
    :>
    :>:After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
    :>:Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
    :>:Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
    :>:went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
    :>:driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
    :>:correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
    :>:a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
    :>:ACPI behavior.
    :>:
    :>:Dan
    :>
    :>The experiment failed. I just tried to restore from hibernation and the
    :>system went into deep sleep, no video, the numlock light on... ergo,
    :>reset. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
    :
    :The motherboard has problems with standby and possibly hibernation. I
    :bought the GA-K8N Pro with an Athlon 64 3000+ in January 2004 and used
    :it primarily as a DVR for nearly four years. I don't recall any
    :details, but probably because standby and/or hibernation did not work
    :reliably, I always manually turned on the computer when I wanted to
    :record a program.
    :
    :Since I replaced the K8N Pro with a GA-945P-S3 and E2140 dual core
    :CPU, scheduled recordings now wake up the computer from standby and
    :place it back to sleep after the recording is done.
    :
    :To refresh my memory, I dug out my K8N Pro board and installed Windows
    :XP on both an IDE drive, and an SATA drive. For both installations,
    :standby does not work. When coming out of standby, the power supply
    :turns on, but the power LED remains dark; for Windows on the IDE
    :drive, the drive busy LED remains dark, and for Windows on the SATA
    :drive, the drive busy LED flashes twice every two seconds. The power
    :button can turn the power supply on and off, but the hardware is in
    :such a state that the reset button cannot reset the motherboard/CPU.
    :The only way to get the computer working again is to recycle the +5
    :volt standby power. However, hibernation seems to work, but this is
    :with just an FX-5500 graphics card installed.
    :
    :If you want reliable standby and hibernation, I suggest getting a
    :motherboard that has been made within the last two years. Boards that
    :work fine for me include MSI 945GM3-F, MSI 945P Neo3-F,
    :GA-8I945GZME-RH, GA-945P-S3, and GA-M61P-S3,
    :

    Thanks very much for posting this and for digging out your old GA K8N
    Pro mobo and testing. My results are similar except that reset works,
    whereas the power button does not... that is unless I hold it down,
    probably for 4+ seconds, although I do not have the 4+ seconds option
    for power button response selected in the BIOS. I haven't been paying
    attention to the power LED. My only booting partition at the moment is
    on an IDE drive, although I plan to add some more. My plans were to
    install on other partitions of the same HD, not on my SATA drive.

    I suspected that the problem was involved with the motherboard, but your
    post was needed to drive the point home. I just ran a pass on my two new
    sticks of PC3200 DDR (1 GB each), with memtest86 v3.2, to test the
    possibility that I was suffering from bad memory. The pass gave no
    errors. It's a good idea to have run that test, in any case. I figured
    my next step was to swap out my nvidia 6600 GTOC AGP for my nvidia 4600
    AGP and see if there is a difference. Even if Standby and Hibernate
    function with that display card, I'm not sure I want to use that card
    regularly. I might for a while, since I would like to use sleep modes
    daily, but only occasionally use dual display. Besides, I can use the
    VGA output from the 4600 card to drive the 2nd monitor if I want to.

    Meantime, I'll keep an eye out for those motherboards you suggest.

    Truly, I haven't used any sleep modes with my PCs for years, since
    hibernate stopped working on my Windows 2000 system, but having recently
    gotten a laptop (Lenovo T60), I've come to appreciate Standby and rue
    the fact that I can't use it on my office machine.

    man, May 5, 2008
  15. man

    man Guest

    :
    ::On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:31:04 -0700, Dan Musicant ()
    ::wrote:
    ::
    ::>On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:25:59 -0700, Dan Musicant ()
    ::>wrote:
    ::>
    ::>:After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
    ::>:Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
    ::>:Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
    ::>:went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
    ::>:driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
    ::>:correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
    ::>:a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
    ::>:ACPI behavior.
    ::>:
    ::>:Dan
    ::>
[...]
    :eek:n an IDE drive, although I plan to add some more. My plans were to
[...]

    I checked out all the MB's you suggested, and the last looks most
    attractive among the lot, mainly because of the 4 PCI slots, making it
    more suitable as an HTPC, which mine does as well as other general
    computing tasks. I need two slots just for my HDTV card and
    daughterboard. I also use firewire occasionally, so onboard firewire or
    at least an open PCI slot for my firewire card would be nice. I fax
    occasionally, using a PCI modem, so that takes a slot. Not having a
    firewire connection on the front of my case, I rely on one on the back
    somehow.

    Another socket 754 AGP board would be easiest for me because I could use
    my CPU and video card and DDR PC3200. Do you have any idea of the

    GIGABYTE GA-K8NS PRO

    That's socket 754, etc. Do you think it might also have ACPI issues?
    It's an nforce3 250, so maybe those issues were worked out by then.

    TIA

    Dan

    man, May 6, 2008
  16. man

    Andy Guest

    Is this the MDP-130?
    I've never used this board, so I have no idea. There's no way of
    knowing for sure without actually trying it.

    There is one motherboard with five PCI slots that is currently in
    production, and that is the GA-P35-S3G.

    Andy, May 6, 2008
  17. man

    man Guest

    :Is this the MDP-130?

    The predecessor, the MYHD MDP-120. It's the same, I think, except it
    doesn't decode QAM, which I think means I can't use it with cable (which
    I don't have presently, anyway). It uses the same application for
    recording, timeshifting, etc. I use it with rooftop antennas. It
    supports two antenna connections, although I broke one. Will see if I
    can fix it. Anyway, I've only been using one of the antennas even before
    the other connection broke (which was my fault).

    :
[...]

    Thanks.

    BTW, in my testing yesterday, when trying to restore from S3 and
    hibernation, I believe I was getting the same results. With hibernation
    a normal boot to post occurred and then Windows tried to restore and
    then the whole system lapsed into the same thing I saw with the S3
    restore attempt:

    Power LED: On, steady

    HD LED: On, steady

    Numlock light on keyboard: On (I never use numlock, and have it set to
    off in BIOS)

    Power button: No response unless I held it for 4+ seconds, which results
    in shutdown

    Reset button: Resets machine

    I have had 2-3 different scenarios. Twice the Windows desktop appeared,
    but the system locked up. No response when trying to move the cursor
    with the mouse, no response to keyboard.

    I'm wondering what Gigabyte support would say about my ACPI problems
    with the GA-K8N Pro. If they can suggest a workaround or would send me a
    different socket 754 mobo on RMA. I bought the board new-in-box
    recently. Before receiving the board I called them and asked about
    warranty policy and they said I'd have to contact them later with more
    information.

    Dan

    man, May 6, 2008
  18. man

    man Guest

    I got a great tip at techsupportforums.com to try a free tool called MSC
    Standby Tool:

    http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

    It was originally for MSC but works for several OS's and can do a lot to
    resolve the evidently very prevalent problems encountered with reduced
    power states. ;)

    It can be run as an exe or installed from the exe's GUI, for expanded
    control. I haven't installed it yet, but ran it and went into S3 Standby
    and successfully woke the system up after 49 minutes, which I think is a
    record. I don't feel so bad now that I realize that the problems I've
    been having are commonplace and that there are things I can do to
    resolve the difficulties. This tool looks terrific.

    man, May 6, 2008
  19. man

[...]

    Correction, that tool, called MST was originally for MCE. The GUI has a
    whole lot to do with MCE but its capabilities extend much beyond it. The
    last couple of S3 restarts I have done have succeeded! 2 hours and 5
    hours!

    man, May 7, 2008
  20. man

    man Guest

    :>
    :>:Is this the MDP-130?
    :>
    :>The predecessor, the MYHD MDP-120. It's the same, I think, except it
    :>doesn't decode QAM, which I think means I can't use it with cable (which
    :>I don't have presently, anyway). It uses the same application for
    :>recording, timeshifting, etc. I use it with rooftop antennas. It
    :>supports two antenna connections, although I broke one. Will see if I
    :>can fix it. Anyway, I've only been using one of the antennas even before
    :>the other connection broke (which was my fault).
    :
    :Do you use the MDP-120 under Windows XP? It works fine under Windows
    :2000, but when I tried it with Windows XP, I found that when the
    :driver Mdp100_XP.sys is loaded in memory, Windows XP crashes when
    :coming out of standby or hibernation.

    Yes, under XP. I used to use it under Win2000, also successfully.
    However, I wasn't using S3 or hibernation then. Is that driver loaded in
    memory even after closing the MyHD application? How can you tell it's
    loaded in memory? I have MyHD open right now, live TV. Under Processes
    in Task Manager I see MyHD.exe and MyIRC.exe. How would I know if
    Mdp100_XP.sys is loaded? If I close MyHD, will it still be loaded? I
    haven't so far tried doing S3 or hibernation with MyHD open, don't know
    why I'd want to. Now, obviously something is active even when MyHD isn't
    open because scheduled recordings proceed. I figured it might be a
    service. Do you know? I don't see it in services. If I close MyHD, it
    disappears from Processes, but MyIRC.exe remains, which doesn't surprise
    me becaue its icon is always there in the tray.

    Anyway, I'm no longer getting crashes when coming out of S3. Haven't
    tried hibernation, but will.

    I had a problem I discovered yesterday being loss of audio through my
    Hercules GTXP PCI soundcard/breakout box, which is connected by SPDIF to
    my AV receiver. It would happen every time I came out of S3. Sometimes I
    still had audio through headphones out of the breakout box, sometimes
    not. I did some hunting today and found a more recent driver for the
    card, one that is said to address some XP issues and make the card
    usable with Vista. After some problems getting the driver to work, I got
    it installed OK, recognized in Device Manager, and configured and I no
    longer have sound loss, at least the last couple of times out of S3. It
    looks like I may have worked through the problem for the most part. I
    think the most important factor was the installation of the MST utility
    I linked in this thread yesterday.

    man, May 9, 2008