    almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
    desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO programs
    and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?

    lib, Sep 13, 2004

  2. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    deleted.

    Unknown, Sep 13, 2004

  3. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
    And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot

    SleeperMan, Sep 14, 2004
  4. lib

    Hank Arnold Guest

    It's a file, it's on a hard drive and you are running Windows. Chances are
    slim that it will happen, but it *can* happen...

    Hank Arnold, Sep 14, 2004
  5. lib

    Eugene Guest

    If the hibernation file becomes corrupted the os should prompt to boot
    normally.
    I use suspend more often though as my little laptop can stay suspended for a
    couple days before it would run the battery too low. I've never had it off
    for any longer than that so hibernation isn't really useful for me.

    Eugene, Sep 14, 2004
  6. lib

    David Guest

    That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works
    well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements
    to the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but
    now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing
    it will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for
    the normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what
    PC I'm on. YMMV

    David

    David, Sep 15, 2004
  7. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    True. But, those chances are so small, that we can safely say it won't
    happen. At least i never have that failure yet.
    Generally, i like hibernate because of fast power-up of the PC from
    hibernation. Waaay faster.

    SleeperMan, Sep 15, 2004
  8. lib

    Tom Scales Guest

    Why not suspend mode? Much faster than hibernate.

    Tom Scales, Sep 15, 2004
  9. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
    understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a number of
    windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see that you might want
    to preserve that arrangement when you started working again. Otherwise, why
    not go to standby, which gets you back to the desktop even faster than
    hibernation?

    I'm really careful about protecting my security and privacy, but there's
    something about having open windows saved on my hard disk that gives me the
    creeps. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous?

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 15, 2004
  10. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    To answer both (Tom & Ted) - as i wrote in other thread: because standby
    doesn't work right. I have Logitech Internet navigator keyboard and if i go
    into standby and wake up, sometimes special keys on the keyboard doesn't
    work anymore, and same happens with extra keys on my Logitech Trackball -
    only basic two keys work. And, if i remember correct, when go into standby,
    fans keep running, and also motherboard is under full power supply, which i
    snot good to leave over night. While hibernation shuts off PC completely.
    ANd here's the difference between two. Standby shuts down only CPU, VGA card
    and i think that's about it. All other stuff remains on, and that's why
    after wake up all remains intact (well, not all in my case) - because RAM
    and other stuff is always on power.

    SleeperMan, Sep 15, 2004
  11. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    It seems then, that your reason for choosing hibernation over standby is
    that your Logitech hardware does not come out of standby correctly. Logitech
    is your problem, not standby. Logitech should be able to make their hardware
    work with standby.

    In my system (Dim 4500) the fans turn off in standby, but I can't say if
    this is true for all computers.

    In standby (S3) the system has only enough power to respond to a 'wake up
    call' - truely a small amount which will not damage your system or run up
    your power bill.

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 15, 2004
  12. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Funny...i just tried it and it does shut down fans. But i clearly remember
    that once i've tried fans were staying on...
    very funny...
    Also resuming from standby seems to work same as hibernation - PC was
    exactly where i left it - even this reply window was here...
    What's the difference between two then???

    SleeperMan, Sep 15, 2004
  13. lib

    relic Guest

    It's a common problem with /ANY/ other vendor's stuff too. Reviving from
    Standby doesn't work reliably on a lot of PCs. I don't use it either even
    though it does work on my current machine... I prefer Hibernate.

    relic, Sep 15, 2004
  14. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Now we're getting somewhere! Above link also solves the question about
    running fans - i just changed my power down state from S1 to S3 in my BIOS a
    few days ago - though i didn't know why it's there at all...Now i see this
    is the reason my fans are shutting down, while before they didn't.
    But still...hibernate is safer - against power loss, while standby is
    quicker...so, maybe i should use standby during the day and hiber over
    night...

    SleeperMan, Sep 15, 2004
  15. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to you?
    Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.

    Unknown, Sep 15, 2004
  16. lib

    Unknown Guest

    It isn't as slim as you think.

    Unknown, Sep 15, 2004
  17. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Yep and you havent died yet, either so you can safely say you are immortal,
    too, right?
    Also a great way of stopping it booting.

    Unknown, Sep 15, 2004
  18. lib

    Unknown Guest

    As to the windows coming back when you reboot normally, that option is
    available to turn on in XP but the way in which they come back over the
    screen wouldnt be the same.
    Each to their own. I sometimes like to leave a particular window open in
    order to remind me to do something the next day when I turn the computer on
    and up it pops.

    Unknown, Sep 15, 2004
  19. lib

    Notan Guest

    "Why would it become corupted?"

    You're kidding, right?

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 15, 2004
  20. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Sure - and having an AV program is an alarmist response to an OS that
    generally works well. You have an AV program just in case. You shouldnt use
    hibernation for the same reason. Hiberfil probs happen more often than you
    would think.
    I would like to know how much you pay for electricity. I pay 12 cents per
    kilowatt hour. 3 of my computers are 300 watt PSUs so I am paying almost 12
    cents an hour to run them. Doesnt sound much right? Work it out over a
    month. I ended up setting my computers to turn off at midnight, on at 6:30
    when I get up and off again at 9AM by which time I am at work. I often do
    forget to turn them off is why.
    15 seconds is OK for you and about 25 to 30 seconds isnt? XPSP2 on a 512meg
    DDR 1.7ghz and that is approximately all it takes to boot here. If yours is
    taking longer from a cold start, you probably should be looking at why.

    Unknown, Sep 15, 2004