    Hibernation mode consumes no battery power because the PC is fully
    powered down whilst in that state.
    Correct.

    Frank le Spikkin, Sep 16, 2004

  2. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Ops...what then?

    SleeperMan, Sep 16, 2004

  3. lib

    David Guest

    It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
    resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
    convenient. If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to
    convince each other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a
    cold start; I prefer to use the hib. feature.

    David

    David, Sep 16, 2004
  4. lib

    David Guest

    He may not be immortal, but fretting over death isn't going to help,
    either. Relax.

    David

    David, Sep 16, 2004
  5. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Who's fretting?

    Unknown, Sep 16, 2004
  6. lib

    Unknown Guest

    As I said - you have to boot off the XP CD and then go to the first restore
    prompt and from there delete the hiberfile.

    After that you can reboot normally with possible loss of data.

    Unknown, Sep 16, 2004
  7. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to life
    and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very INconvenient
    AND you can lose data.
    I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.

    Unknown, Sep 16, 2004
  8. lib

    DanielEKFA Guest

    I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
    whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.

    DanielEKFA, Sep 16, 2004
  9. lib

    David Guest

    Your concerns are duly noted. If my pc blows up some day, I'll remember
    your warnings. :)

    David

    snip

    David, Sep 17, 2004
  10. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
    to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant boot
    the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you cant
    get anywhere normally and you can lose data.
    If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.

    Unknown, Sep 17, 2004
  11. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Hibernation doesn't cause it to blow up. Jihad does!

    Unknown, Sep 17, 2004
  12. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    "If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too."

    Shows how much you know. A firewall is protection against threats coming
    from a network, not Windows.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 17, 2004
  13. lib

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, that one made me laugh too.

    Tom Scales, Sep 17, 2004
  14. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Aha...thanks for the tip. You never know...

    SleeperMan, Sep 17, 2004
  15. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    BTW...
    you said that hiber file can become corrupted. After (almost) a week of
    thinking( yep, i'm slow, like my PC), i find this comment extremly stupid. I
    mean, XP contain----what---as much as ten thousands of files, and i'd say
    about up to one thousand are vital for XP booting. So, if ANYONE of those
    files become corrupted, XP won't boot. So, chance of XP won't boot from
    normal shut down are thousand times bigger than those that it won't boot
    from hibernation. And this makes hiber mode not in any way more or less
    vunerable than normal booting.
    It's the same as when you leave your car, you normally lock it up. YOU
    REALLY SHOULDN'T DO THAT!!!!! what if your lock breaks down? You won't be
    able to get into the car again without breaking the lock!

    SleeperMan, Sep 17, 2004
  16. lib

    DanielEKFA Guest

    It would be much better to unscrew the wheels and carry them with you :)

    DanielEKFA, Sep 17, 2004
  17. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    ROFL

    SleeperMan, Sep 17, 2004
  18. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    No need to get all upset. Like Hank said, any file on a hard disk can get
    corrupted. It happens rarely, thankfully, but it does happen. And most of
    the time it's not anyone's fault - it just happens. Computers are like that.
    Fortunately, most of the time this can be easily fixed (reinstall the
    application, extract a fresh copy, etc.)

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 17, 2004
  19. lib

    Tom Scales Guest

    Anyone that would hibernate without saving the work in their applications
    first is just naive.

    Save your work.
    Hibernate.

    If it won't resume, who cares?