    and then hibernate. I just hate to wait ages for booting, but i also hate
    the idea of my RAM being under power overnight because of standby. I bet
    most of the folks who hibernate have same reasons.

    SleeperMan, Sep 17, 2004

  2. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    I hear what you say S-Man and I'm not planning to argue. I would suggest
    that you look into exactly how much power there is to your RAM while in S3
    and whether that is harmful to your RAM or to any other part of your
    computer.

    Personally, I only use standby. The only time I restart my computer is after
    installing software, and the only time I shut down is during a thunderstorm.
    No problems to report from using standby.

    I did just think of another reason someone might want to use hibernation: If
    you have a UPS that automatically closes open programs during an extended
    power outage and then shuts down your computer "gracefully" (as APCC likes
    to say) then you'll need to enable hibernation.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 18, 2004

  3. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Well, if you save all your work before, then it doesn't really matter much
    which option to use. Anyway, some PC's are on 24/7 and they are fine, it's
    just that feeling that RAM is always on....it's not power consumption. Maybe
    i'll give it a try and see. Anyway, Logitech does update drivers, so maybe
    now all will work like it should.

    SleeperMan, Sep 18, 2004
  4. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Hey S-Man, are we talking laptop or desktop? I haven't used a laptop since
    1994, so I'm basing all my posts on how I use standby with my desktop. Could
    be that everything is different with a laptop. Sorry, I should have pointed
    that out earlier.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 18, 2004
  5. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Nope. We're talking about Desktop PC. I could understand if laptop is in
    question, then standby is the best solution for over-day use. But, when
    Desktop is in question, it's not an issue of power consumption, but speed of
    booting after press of start button...at least for me it is. There's nothing
    i hate more than waiting 2 minutes for a PC to be usefull...

    SleeperMan, Sep 18, 2004
  6. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    You got that right...

    SleeperMan, Sep 18, 2004
  7. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Ahh... fool..... you able to read this?

    If you had a fucking clue where to wipe your arse, you wouldn't be letting
    out so much shit!

    If Windows worked the way it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall. If
    you cant figure that out, go back to newbies school and stop being a tool in
    public!

    Unknown, Sep 19, 2004
  8. lib

    Unknown Guest

    .....people who don't have a clue usually DO laugh when faced with something
    they don't understand. So don't go looking at your arse. You cant understand
    shit by the look of it!

    Unknown, Sep 19, 2004
  9. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Fuckwits usually DO come up with that sort of comment, though so it is to be
    expected.

    The long and the short of it is you have no fucking clue, obviously don't
    work with computers and don't know shit from dice.

    Never shoot craps with this prick!

    Unknown, Sep 19, 2004
  10. lib

    Unknown Guest

    BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!

    It happens for many reasons, not the least of which is that the damned HD
    didnt swap pool sectors when the sector became damaged. Just operated on one
    like that yesterday. Some data lost because of it.

    I would say to you that you probably shouldnt be talking about things you
    dont understand but then you cant swim and you're over your head in the deep
    end of the gene pool! Your own mouth should be your undoing as you open it
    to emit vapours and drown on your own crap!

    Unknown, Sep 19, 2004
  11. lib

    Unknown Guest

    You when the whole computer wont boot.

    Unknown, Sep 19, 2004
  12. lib

    WSZsr Guest

    Another coward that posts venom under an alias. Afraid to use his real
    name.

    WSZsr, Sep 19, 2004
  13. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    Sure...just tell me why hiber file has more chance of being corrupted than
    any other file on the HDD??? Please!!!

    SleeperMan, Sep 19, 2004
  14. lib

    relic Guest

    Used Hibernate for 3 years.
    Twice it wouldn't restore, both times it booted up 'Normal'

    Don't worry about it.

    relic, Sep 19, 2004
  15. lib

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    SleeperMan: Give it a rest. Hibernate, and move on.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 19, 2004
  16. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    You're right...

    SleeperMan, Sep 19, 2004
  17. lib

    SleeperMan Guest

    OK

    SleeperMan, Sep 19, 2004
  18. SleeperMan, the tailed, one-celled bugbane and seller of green potatoes,
    prattled:

    | Ted Zieglar wrote:
    || SleeperMan: Give it a rest. Hibernate, and move on.
    || Ted Zieglar
    | You're right...

    He's a fuckwit.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Charleton Brundlelid-Wipperdock, Sep 19, 2004
  19. lib

    Unknown Guest

    Did I say that somewhere or are you incontinent and letting your thoughts
    piss out again?

    Unknown, Sep 20, 2004
  20. lib

    Unknown Guest

    TRANSLATION:

    Walked on the road against the lights in high speed traffic and never got
    hit so neither will you.

    Don't worry about signs!

    Unknown, Sep 20, 2004