Hibernate vs. Standby and memory leaks

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Reactor, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. Reactor

    Reactor Guest

    All,

    Thinking out loud here and I am not a technician, so please bear with me.

    I have an Averatec C3500 tablet PC runing XP Tablet Edition. I would
    consider myself to be a power user, and the laptop gets used heavily and I
    always have 5 - 6 apps open at a time, and multiple windows within those
    apps (ie spreadsheets in Excel).

    When I am not using the laptop, I usually set it to hibernate so that I
    don't have to wait 5 minutes for it to boot up. I do this with all the apps
    running.

    Sometimes when the machine comes back up, it is very slow. If I kill some
    apps it gets better some of the time but recently I notice that the
    winlogon.exe process is eating up all the CPU cycles.

    So - is it possible that when the machine is hibernating, any apps that have
    memory leak issues are continuing to eat up my memory, and would putting the
    machine in standby be any better?

    And why does winlogon.exe suddenly decide that it needs the entire CPU when
    I am already logged onto the machine?

    Thanks for the input.

    Reactor, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Reactor

    Mike Guest

    In message <>
    at 11:24:44 on Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Reactor
    I don't know, but on my laptops with ZoneAlarm installed, whenever I
    wake up from hibernation I can never get a network connection

    Also is there a registry key that makes hibernate the default option
    when I shut down, like it is on my Dell?

    Mike, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Reactor

    BillW50 Guest

    So what do you do Mike? Shutdown ZoneAlarm and reopen? And I don't know
    about a registry key, but it is sometimes settable in the Power Options
    in the Control Panel. It is found under the Advanced tab.

    BillW50, Apr 28, 2007
  4. Reactor

    BillW50 Guest

    I don't know, but did you try standby yet? And for memory leaks, those
    free RAM utilities are wonderful IMHO. I use a commercial one called
    TweakRam.

    http://www.elcor.net/tram.php

    BillW50, Apr 28, 2007
  5. Reactor

    Reactor Guest

    OK, I am back in business. Here we go:

    * Bought a HDD enclosure that ran off of USB.
    * Pulled the hard drive, stuck it in, and was able to save all my files,
    especially the Outlook .pst.
    * FOUND MY RECOVERY DISK FOR THE LAPTOP and recovered the system - took
    about half an hour - yay!!
    * Dumped all the files back onto the laptop - everything works!!!

    Thanks to all for every bit of advice. I do appreciate it.

    Reactor, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Make a copy of the Restore disc (CD or DVD) ... or several .... so that
    you can find one if you need it again.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 29, 2007
  7. Reactor

    Mike Guest

    No I would never do that - I'd have to reboot. Thinking about it, it
    may be when I leave the lappy closed for a long time and the lease has
    expired? I've now changed my router so that static IP addresses are
    given out for the MAC addresses
    Well I could perhaps disable the ability to hibernate, but I've just
    done what they suggest on google. On the power tab, and ensured that
    switching the computer off is associated with "shut down", although I
    would prefer to do it manually

    Mike, Apr 29, 2007
  8. Reactor

    stiffman320 Guest

    I have an inspiron 6000 and it does the same thing. when i come out of
    hibernation, it doesn't connect to wireless networks. sometimes when
    it comes out of standby, it starts up, but the screen doesnt turn on.
    can anybody help me?

    stiffman320, Apr 29, 2007