    advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Kevin.

    Kevin, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Kevin

    Chris H. Guest

    Kevin, sorry for the delayed response. Your post sort of got lost in the
    Experience Pack postings. :cool: I'm not sure if a cloning program will
    detect or copy a hidden partition. I would suggest, though, that if you use
    the XP-native Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST) to back up all your
    files and settings, you could easily do a fresh install from the OEM CD/DVD
    on the formatted new drive and that should create the original environment
    again.

    If you're not familiar with FAST, Microsoft MVP Gary Woodruff has an
    excellent article on it here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm It
    would require that you reinstall all your own programs afterward, but FAST
    would create your personal directory structure for each program and move
    your saved files over for you. It really works well.
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Apr 10, 2005

  3. Kevin

    kevin Guest

    Thanks Chris, I've never really looked at "FAST" before and after quickly
    browsing through that article (found it somewhere else on that site you sent
    me), seems like it'll actually help a lot in all my backups! Thanks again!

    Cheers,

    Kevin.

    kevin, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Kevin

    Chris H. Guest

    It really is great, Kevin, and if you follow Gary's information you'll find
    it really is pretty easy. Just remember, FAST does not save any password
    information. Remember also, NOT to make duplicate "imports" or the like
    with Outlook or Outlook Express. FAST, if you direct it to do so, will
    automatically save your Outlook (PST) and OE (the message Store structure)
    for you.

    Chris H., Apr 10, 2005