High DPC Latency and Slow Hard Pagefaults on Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R Motherboard

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Ryan, Sep 28, 2010.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I've owned a DIY-built PC on a Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R motherboard for
    about 2 years now. When I first built this PC, it ran perfectly under
    Windows XP 32-bit. Performance was good, and I had no issues with
    freezeups or audio distortion. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-
    bit, and since then, I've had serious performance problems. The system
    occasionally freezes up, usually for only a second but sometimes for
    more than 15 seconds. I get distortion in audio playback through the
    onboard Realtek Azalia HD-Audio, which sounds like the audio is frozen
    on a single tone for half a second or more, turning it into a buzzing
    sound. Video playback stops and stutters every few seconds as well.
    Disk and network performance are also significantly worse than under
    Windows XP. I get 2D graphics slowdowns drawing simple windows, like
    something out of 1995.

    I've done research on my issues and found that they seem to relate to
    problems with driver DPC latency and hard pagefaults. I've been using
    the DPC Latency checker from http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml,
    and I see frequent spikes of latency over 4ms. Baseline latency is
    rarely lower than 0.5ms, and is usually around 1ms idle, closer to 2ms
    when working. I've also used the Latency Monitor tool at
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml, and it's reported hard
    pagefaults longer than 500ms, and DPC latency of over 2.3ms in
    netbt.sys.

    I've tried disabling EIST and C1E in BIOS, and this helped a little
    bit. Disabling the onboard ethernet, sound, or USB also helps, but
    this is unacceptable, as I require all of these functions.

    Before anyone asks, I've spent weeks ruling out other possible causes.
    I've malware and spyware scanned with four separate programs. I've
    chkdsked, defragged, cleared temp files, rebuilt page files, and swept
    my registry for errors with two different programs. I've disconnected
    every piece of hardware I could, checked every internal connection,
    checked my memory for errors with Memtest86+ for a whole weekend while
    I was out of town, run CPU burnin programs, swapped most of the
    cables, and even moved my RAID from the Intel Matrix controller to the
    GBB36X controller. I have a copy of Fedora 13 (GNU/Linux) on another
    boot drive which runs perfectly and extremely fast on this hardware.
    There's something about the way Windows 7 interacts with this
    motherboard.

    I've seen that other similar Gigabyte P35 motherboards have had this
    issue, and some have been helped by BIOS updates.

    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1351472&mpage=1&key="

    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/26456-p35-motherboards-dpc-latency-spiking-19.html

    http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20413

    I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard, which does not appear to
    have had an update from Gigabyte regarding this issue. I've filed a
    ticket with them in hopes that they can help.

    Does anyone have any suggestions to how I might recover? I really
    don't want to roll back to Windows XP!

    Ryan, Sep 28, 2010

  2. Ryan

    Paul Guest

    When is the last time you tested your hard drive ?

    Any chance you've got a lot of bad blocks ?

    Run the disk manufacturer's diagnostic, if you can find one.

    *******

    As I understand it, some of those DPC issues, were due to too much
    time spent in SMM. But your symptoms suggest something much
    worse than that.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode

    Exactly why SMM might be used, what firmware function might use
    it, I haven't a clue.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 28, 2010

  3. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I'll give it a run through Spinrite tonight, see what it shows.
    From what I've gathered on other forums, the issue probably relates to
    Gigabyte's Dynamic Energy Saver features, where the CPU is supposed to
    scale up and down to save power when not busy. It seems that this
    worked fine in Windows XP, was patched to work under Vista, but broke
    again under Windows 7. Also, their utilities to manage these features
    don't work on Windows 7, they produce constant BSODs in gdrv.sys when
    installed.

    --Ryan

    Ryan, Sep 28, 2010