  1. No, read again.

    It's 13 cycles to do 3 MACs, so 26 to do 6 MACS.

    Wilco

    Wilco Dijkstra, Nov 14, 2008

  2. The LDRHs take 7 cycles (6 + 1), the MLAs take 6 cycles, or in total 26

    OK,
    I see that now, where do you check for saturation?

    Ulf Samuelsson, Nov 14, 2008

  3. There is usually no need to check for saturation unless you have 16-bit
    ADC's (rare). With saturation it would be 32 cycles.

    Wilco

    Wilco Dijkstra, Nov 14, 2008
  4. So the AVR32 inner loop is only 2-3 x faster than the Cortex-M3.
    Yes, noone in their right mind would switch for such¨
    a meagre performance increase ;-)

    Ulf Samuelsson, Nov 14, 2008
  5. Actually the worst case is 2.5x, but as steve said earlier, actual measurements
    taking flash speed etc into account are closer to 1.5x. Either way, that's not
    close at all to the claimed 11x difference.

    For better DSP performance and more MHz most people would use ARM9E
    instead (it's used in many harddrives).

    Wilco

    Wilco Dijkstra, Nov 14, 2008