High idle CPU temperature -- no bus disconnect?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Garry Bryant, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Garry Bryant

    Garry Bryant Guest

    Howdy,

    I just bought a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L (revision 2.0, F8 BIOS) for use
    with an Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton). One of the things I was expecting
    was a relatively cool idle CPU temperature, because recent Socket A
    motherboards are meant to automatically enable "S2K bus disconnect".
    More info on the feature is at:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlonxp-3000.html

    So I was surprised when after installing the board, I opened EasyTune
    4 and found the CPU was 57 degrees C at idle with my Zalman Flower.
    Pushing it with cpuburn's burnk7.ext, it reached 68C, a difference of
    only 11C. Comparing this to the figures in the X-bit labs article,
    there should be a _much_ bigger gap in temperature between idle and
    fully stressed, with the idle temp the 30s or 40s. My results seem to
    indicate that bus disconnect isn't working at all on my GA-7N400-L.

    In AMD's recommended motherboards list, support for it earns an
    "Advanced Power Savings with Halt/Disconnect Clock Ramping supported"
    note, which the GA-7N400-L has. But I'm not seeing it on my board.
    Does anyone know what the story is with the 7N400 series and bus
    disconnect?

    Gazza

    Garry Bryant, Apr 13, 2004