High motherboard temp?- K9AG Neo2-Digital

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Howie, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I just build a new machine with the K9AG Neo2-Digital board, a "Black
    Edition" AMD 64 X2 5000+, 2GB Corsair RAM...

    I have a concern, perhaps unfounded, with the motherboard/mainboard
    temperature being reported by MSI PC Alert 4, PC Wizard 2008, and
    Speed Fan programs.

    My CPU temp is <40*C, even at full load (Prime95), and is presented as
    such by both the aforementioned programs as well as within my BIOS.
    The motherboard temp in PC Wizard 2008 ("System" temp with PC Alert 4
    or "Temp 2" within SpeedFan) is being reported as between 85* and
    100*C.

    My machine hasn't shut down as of yet so I don't know if the
    motherboard temp being reported is truly accurate or is the temp
    accurate (seems to be as several different programs report it) but is
    being pulled from a sensor or spot on the board which a temperature
    this high should be expected?

    Any insight as to where the motherboard temp is pulled from on this
    particular MSI board? Might others post their temperature readings
    for comparative purposes?

    Thanks for the help,

    Howie, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Howie

    Bill Guest

    First, are you sure it's reporting in Centigrade and not Farenheit?

    Make sure any chipset heatsinks are properly seated and using
    heatsink paste.

    Motherboards with onboard video run hotter at idle than non-onboard
    video motherboards, is the airflow through your case up to the task?

    What are you using for a CPU cooler? If it's not blowing air down
    onto the cpu and subsequently onto the adjacent chipset you may need
    to change it to one that does.

    If you open the case and blow a desk fan onto the motherboard does
    the high temp reading go down? If not you probably have a bad temp
    sensor.

    You can either RMA the board or ignore the temp reading.

    <snip>

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 25, 2007

  3. Howie

    Harry Syme Guest

    Do you have a fan on the back of the case? Is it blowing air out of the pc
    or sucking it in? If its blowing it out reverse it.

    Harry Syme, Dec 20, 2007