    The system is a Dell 8250 PIV 2.6 GHZ. Is there an easy way to identify the
    culprit?

    JG

    Chalky, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Chalky

    Ronald J. Guest

    Take the cover off and listen.

    Ronald J., Feb 23, 2004

  3. Chalky

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    I believe that if a fan was not making the noise before, and is now, the
    bearings are probably going and replacing the fan is the only thing you can
    do.
    It shouldn't be too hard to tell which fan is making the noise.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Chalky

    Asestar Guest

    You COULD try to manually lubricate the faulty fan. I did this with the fan
    on northbridge of Abit Kt7A. Remove fan and remove the sticker on back of
    it. Drop 1-2 drops of a good oil ( i tried olive-oil, it's working nicely).
    Re apply the sticker and put it back.
    Remember: This gives you only some extended lifetime. You will need to
    replace the fan in about 1-2 months max after doing it.

    Asestar, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Chalky

    Reckless Guest

    Can one replace just the fan on a p4 3ghz processor? Or would you need to
    replace both the heatsink and fan. It looks like there's only 2 clips
    holding the assembly in place. I don't want to try and open them, as it may
    remove the heat sink, thus having to replace the thermal paste. TIA.

    Reckless, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Chalky

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    I don't have that cpu, but I don't think the HSF is much different than the
    one my 1.8a uses. If so, there's no replacement fan that I know of. The fan
    is built into (it's part of) the shroud.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Chalky

    Reckless Guest

    Hello,

    Thanks. That was my suspicion since i just checked online stores for fans
    for my cpu, and all i can come up with are fans bundled with the hsf.
    Thanks for your input.
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

    Reckless, Feb 25, 2004