    (CPU or othercise) gets too high? If so, what
    temeprature(s) of which sensor(s) triggers such a shutdown?

    Thanks for any help.

    mugrean, May 20, 2007

  2. mugrean

    mugrean Guest

    Well... the g5 gets really noisy when the temp goes up. To me, it
    sounds like
    the machine is struggling to stay cool, and it's not a very healthy
    sound.

    Back to my question... is the g5 smart enough to shutdown if it is
    overheating?

    mugrean, May 21, 2007

  3. mugrean

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    You'll break the machine.
    Apple says not to use it at certain temps. Most people would consider their
    statement a Big Clue(tm).

    J.J. O'Shea, May 21, 2007
  4. mugrean

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    Don't know about the G5 dual, but my iMac G5 survives that each summer
    in the tropics. Fans will ramp up the harder you drive it. CPU temps
    normally around 55C, and you are starting to have trouble when it hits
    72C.

    Using X Resource Graph to track temperatures.
    You will hear the fans roar? Not sure it it decides to put the CPU into
    sleep mode when it gets too hot, as I have always noticed heating
    problems and located the program causing the problem.

    Eric Lindsay, May 21, 2007
  5. mugrean

    Adrian Guest

    Well, obviously the fans will be working harder if you are operating
    your machine nearer the upper range of acceptable ambient temperature
    range ... that's what they are there for. It would be very strange if
    the fans did not kick in when you were working in hot temperatures.

    Yes, the G5 is smart enough to manage it's own temperature ...

    Adrian, May 21, 2007
  6. mugrean

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    You are, of course, correct. My error.