High school portable choice?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Guest, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My son has a small motor issue, and
    his teachers have asked us to buy him
    a notebook to carry around to class for
    notes and writing assignments/tests.

    I am inclined to go ultra-light here.
    To hand in tests and assignments, transferring
    with a jump drive is acceptable.

    As he will be carrying the machine from class
    to class, and commuting with it, lightness seems
    to be a key.

    Would the Latitude X1 be good for this? I would
    want to get a complete care warrantee, and find
    him a good backpack with would protect it well.

    Any conflicting opinions? Additional advice?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Guest

    Tom Scales Guest

    The best ultralight is the IBM/Lenavo Thinkpad X41. Hands down.

    It also comes in a slick convertible tablet version.

    Rock solid

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Tom Scales writes:

    Tom> The best ultralight is the IBM/Lenavo Thinkpad X41. Hands down.
    Tom> It also comes in a slick convertible tablet version.

    I thought IMB did not ship with an XP disk, is
    that true?

    I had trouble figuring out how to configure on their
    website too, pretty odd layout.

    Guest, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Guest

    Tom Scales Guest

    Interesting question. Don't know as my work provided my X40. They do have
    a restore partition, but I don't know about a disk.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Guest

    Leigh Guest

    My ThinkPad R51 did not come with an XP disk or a restore disk. Also, the
    sales person said that IBM does not have a restore disk or an XP disk to
    buy. The user can create a restore disk from the restore partition. But only
    one restore disk can be created. I wish I could buy a restore disk but it is
    not possible.

    On a ThinkPad forum at:

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/

    you can find out how to use a regular XP disk to do a clean install on the
    ThinkPad. And then the site explains how to put back the IBM Installer
    Software on the ThinkPad to install all of the drivers and utilities that
    need to be on the ThinkPad.

    I have the ThinkPad R51 and an Inspiron 6000. Like Tom mentioned the
    ThinkPad is rock solid and superior to the Inspiron. I like my Inspiron 6000
    but the feel and performance of the ThinkPad is better in my opinion.

    Leigh

    Leigh, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Tom Scales writes:

    Tom> Interesting question. Don't know as my work provided my X40. They do have
    Tom> a restore partition, but I don't know about a disk.

    I looked all over their site, and could not find
    any indication that the X41 ships with an OS disk.

    So I emailed Lenavo (web-form).

    I am pretty sure I heard they do not, and for me
    that is really a non-starter.

    Being able to reinstall after a hard drive failure
    is a requirement, as is the ability to do a repair
    install.

    Does sound like a pretty neat machine, but it is a
    bit heavier than the Latitude X1.

    Guest, Nov 4, 2005
  7. i like the x1 but it isn't the sturdiest machine. it is much cheaper than
    the ibm and when dell is running specials it is the best value in the ultra
    portable class. if speed isn't all that important then have a look at the
    fujitsu lifebook p1000. it has a solid build quality and an amazing 9+ hour
    battery life.
    http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P1
    the s2000 is larger but still weighs in at under 4lbs and has an integrated
    cd/dvd drive so you can even use it as a portable video machine... and it
    has a 7+ hour battery life...
    http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=S2
    or their other ultra portable models (scroll down).
    http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/productoverview.do?type=NB&pgid=Notebooks
    the only problem with the fujitsu machines is that they are poorly
    distributed. they chiefly sell just to large corporate accounts so you have
    to buy them site unseen via mail order, oh wait, that goes for dell too ;)

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Christopher Muto writes:

    Christopher> i like the x1 but it isn't the sturdiest machine. it is much cheaper than
    Christopher> the ibm and when dell is running specials it is the best value in the ultra
    Christopher> portable class. if speed isn't all that important then have a look at the
    Christopher> fujitsu lifebook p1000. it has a solid build quality and an amazing 9+ hour
    Christopher> battery life.

    Do they come with an XP OS disk?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Nov 4, 2005
  9. i have not seen how the retail versions are packaged. your best bet would
    be ask them.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2005
  10. ps. you know that the absense of a physical cd is something that microsoft
    is pushing... so all manufacturers are pressured to not supply one. in fact
    i just looked and the latitude x1 can only be ordered with media with xp
    home, not with xp pro. but the dimension 700m does have media available for
    both home and pro. the 700m is a nice machine too and has an integrated cd
    which is highly desireable.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2005
  11. Guest

    Tom Scales Guest

    The X1 is available with XP Pro media if you purchase it through Small
    business (available to anyone). I just checked. In fact, the default is
    included -- you have to change the radio button to NOT get it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 4, 2005
  12. Guest

    Notan Guest

    When I last purchased through the Small Business Division, I was asked
    to provide some type of "business ID."

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 4, 2005
  13. Guest

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you call or order online? I've purchased all my machines through Small
    business and just put my last name in the business field.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 5, 2005
  14. Guest

    Notan Guest

    I spoke to a salesperson... Ever since a bad experience, ordering online,
    I've called. (I order a configuration that, apparently, wasn't do-able,
    and Dell substituted parts they *thought* I'd want.)

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 5, 2005