    installed.
    This high speed thing is really going to be a change, from 28.8 kbt!
    Thanks for your help!

    Bumpy, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Bumpy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Use the ethernet connection if you have a choice.
    It won't speed up your computer per se, but you obviously will see
    significant increase in speed in downloads and internet page loads.

    Enjoy.

    S.Lewis, Jan 25, 2008

  3. you want to use the ethernet connection. the usb connection is not
    reliable, particularly on your dimension 8200 which only has usb 1
    integrated in the system (unless you added your own usb 2.0 card). however,
    you also want to get a router between your cable modem and your pc. a
    router provides basic firewall protection that keeps bad guys out of your pc
    (with dialup, the slow speed is what kept bad guys out of your pc). a
    router also allows you to connect multiple computers to your one cable
    connection and generally also provides wireless connections to that same
    cable line. the wireless could be password protected so that neighbors
    don't use your cable internet connection. the nice thing about cable modem
    service is that you can take a router from linksys, dlink, or other major
    brands right out of the box, plug it in, and it will work (no need to run
    their setup disk despite what the instructions). likewise with the stuff
    from the cable company, i caution you to not install any software that they
    give you with their cable modem. you can just plug in your cable modem to
    your cable line, wall outlet, and ethernet cable, and your computer will be
    on-line. the cable company software will help you configure outlook express
    for their email, but you can do that manually. the other thing the cable
    company software usually does is install lots of advertisements, brands your
    internet explorer (puts there logo into it), sets the home page of internet
    explorer to their web site, and installs crap that allows the cable company
    remote access to your computer so they can 'help' you if you call technical
    support. this might be ok on a fast new computer, but on your dimension
    8200 it is just going to slow you down.
    popular linksys router $49...
    from newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010
    from amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201268646&sr=8-1

    Christopher Muto, Jan 25, 2008
  4. Bumpy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ethernet, Ethernet, Ethernet. That's three resounding votes for Ethernet
    counting Stew's, Christoper's and mine.

    You might also look seriously at increasing the amount of memory on that
    warhorse. 256MB is pretty meager for running XP, and makes for a slow-running
    system, more or less like watching paint dry. RAMBUS memory is sort of
    affordable now. I've been peddling it on eBay at around $45 + shipping for
    2x256MB, which would triple the amount of memory in your computer, assuming that
    your system currently has 2x128MB + 2 continuity RIMMs... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 25, 2008
  5. Bumpy

    Tony Harding Guest

    Me, 4.

    Tony Harding, Jan 25, 2008
  6. Bumpy

    Ben Myers Guest

    What is the margin of error on this vote count? How many are undecided? Oops!
    I've been watching too many candidates of both parties on TV bloviating,
    pontificating and shape-shifting, much to the confusion and consternation of all
    the flawless pollsters... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 25, 2008
  7. Bumpy

    Colin Wilson Guest

    The cable company says that they can feed the cable modem
    Ethernet, every time, if you have the chance.

    If you don't already have an ethernet connection available, get a PCI
    card for $10 and you won't regret it.

    You generally need drivers installing for USB, and have to tell the
    computer to "dial" a connection, and there may be other issues
    (possibly not applicable to your case though).

    In the UK, there was a "popular" (aka given away for free by the ISPs)
    USB broadband modem nicknamed "the frog" - it was a self-powered
    device, taking current from the USB port itself. The problem is, USB
    ports initially had no current draw specification, which was revised
    and amended in USB 1.1 to 500mA - but may USB modems happened to take
    more than this already...

    In most cases, you might get a connection for a while, but then the
    USB port would shut down due to the overload - a reboot would usually
    sort it out. Not all motherboards had resettable overloads though, and
    some would essentially blow a non-replaceable fuse that meant you'd
    lost all USB support forever unless you replaced the motherboard.

    Mine lasted anywhere from 2-30 minutes before needing to be rebooted,
    which as you can imagine, got to be a real FPITA (effing pain in the
    ass)

    Colin Wilson, Jan 25, 2008
  8. Bumpy

    Morph Guest

    Go with Ethernet. I've had a cable modem since 1998. I've tried both USB
    and Ethernet. I was much more pleased with the performance with Ethernet.
    Currently getting 9 Mbps on downloads, and around 500 Kbps on uploads.

    Morph, Jan 25, 2008
  9. Bumpy

    Tony Harding Guest

    Right, Ben, in those dark days after 911, blah, blah, blah, and cutting
    taxes, blah, blah, blah, plus my 6 point plan for health care, blah,
    blah, blah, etc.

    I'm a shameless pol and I approved this ad. Vote for me!

    Tony Harding, Jan 26, 2008
  10. Bumpy

    Bumpy Guest

    Ethernet card it will be, along with more memory
    ..
    Thanks to all of you, for replying...my cable company
    does not subscribe to Newsgroups, so I guess I am going
    to have to find all my groups on Google..Thanks again!!

    Bumpy, Jan 26, 2008
  11. Bumpy

    RnR Guest

    Margin of error is 4 not 4% but 4 !! Could be 4 impersonators that
    claim to be all of you <g>.

    RnR, Jan 26, 2008
  12. Bumpy

    RnR Guest

    Unless you subscribe to a private NSP but of course that's an added
    cost.

    RnR, Jan 26, 2008
  13. Bumpy

    Tom Scales Guest

    Don't forget the absolute most important piece of advice.

    Do NOT plug your computer directly into the modem.

    Buy an inexpensive router, even if you only have one computer.

    You WILL get hacked if you don't.

    Tom Scales, Jan 26, 2008
  14. Bumpy

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Thanks to all of you, for replying...my cable company
    There are several free newsgroup servers such as http://motzarella.org

    Colin Wilson, Jan 26, 2008
  15. don't forget the router.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 28, 2008
  16. Bumpy

    Rich/rerat Guest

    Bumpy,
    You can add the Microsoft News Server (for MS related newsgroups) to your
    newsreader by clicking on the link in my signature block. Non MS newsgroups
    you will need to subscribe to some service. There are very few "free" News
    services available anymore.

    Rich/rerat, Jan 28, 2008
  17. Bumpy

    RnR Guest

    And they don't have much retention or full news feeds but likely most
    people don't know or need it.

    RnR, Jan 28, 2008