    PR Rating of 4000 :), 2.5ghz.

    And just want to know the best most stable way of doing it.

    Thanks.

    Paul Mathews, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Paul Mathews

    Ben Pope Guest

    The common way is to up the FSB as high as possible with RAM in synch,
    whilst using a low multiplier. High as possible meaning, as high as it will
    go stable - using memtest86+ and prime95 torture test to check stability.
    Then using Prime95 to get the multiplier as high as you can, whilst
    remaining stable.

    Then there's that area of crossover where you might be able to hit the next
    multiplier by reducing the FSB a tad, which may, or may not be better for
    you (depending on the balance of memory bandwidth to number crunching
    requirements). It's also pretty useful to use MBM5 or some other decent
    monitoring program to check your cpu core (diode) temps under load (prime95
    torture test) if you up the voltage to achieve your overclock (which it
    sounds like you'll need to, given where you want to end up).

    If you want to take your FSB high, like above 200MHz, then you'll need an
    nForce2 to lock your PCI and AGP buses. (unless there are any boards with a
    7 divider?).

    Your question really depends on your hardware, but the generic response is:
    FSB as fast as you can, stable.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Paul Mathews

    BigBadger Guest

    For best performance run memory in synch with FSB as high as it will go
    stable.
    If you want to hit 2.5GHz you will need good air or good water cooling and
    a good overclocking motherboard...I have good results with a SP97 cooler
    and an NF7-S board running an XP2500 Mobile at 2650MHz....but I tried
    several cpu's before I got ane this good.

    BigBadger, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Paul Mathews

    Vedran Parac Guest

    correct me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion the following might help you:

    the limiting components for high FSB are RAM and northbridge (providing that
    PCI&AGP are locked, or around default values, and that RAM and FSB are in
    sync).

    The CPU isnt stressed by high FSB value but rather with multiplier X FSB
    resulting frequency,

    so the answer would be:

    0. Set a low CPU multiplier, so that it is working at, for example 1.5GHz,
    so you can be sure it's not the one that is generating errors, be sure it's
    not overclocked.

    1. raise FSB: RAM frequency ratio, so RAM is NOT woring in sync with FSB,
    but on SLOWER frequecy.

    2. raise FSB to the maximum stable frequecy northbridge will go. Now you've
    got the top frequency your northbridge will go.

    3. Now, get RAM and FSB in sync, and if it's not working error free, your
    RAM is the limiting factor. Either get a better one, or lower your FSB
    frequency. Don't just raise FSB:RAM ratio to get your RAM working slower,
    you've achieved nothing if FSB is working slower than your RAM, CPU can only
    access RAM as fast as RAM will let it.

    4. Now, you've got RAM and FSB as high as they will work together, so you
    need to find a maximum frequency your CPU will go.

    To do so, get you FSB and RAM to their default, positively error-free
    frequencies, and raise CPU multiplier until you find a resulting maximum
    FSBxMultiplier frequency that your CPU will work on. You will get higher by
    raising Vcore, but be aware of the heating issues, and your warranty void
    conditions, don't blame anyone for your decisions :)

    --
    appendix: :)
    test stability with prime95, burncpu, docmem, memtest

    disclaimer:
    You are responsible for your own actions. This information is given as it
    is, with no warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Warranty will
    be void or valid under conditions specified by responsible hardware
    providers. This information is for educational purposes only.

    Vedran Parac, Jun 20, 2004