    laptop! Since it's running a Pentium M, what's the largest HD
    reasonable for this machine?

    Thanks.

    mutefan, Dec 28, 2004

  2. mutefan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    The cpu is irrelevant. You can add as much external capacity as you
    want.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2004

  3. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    Thank you. Next-to-final-final question: Another poster on this group
    cites an ALi issue when using non-proprietary external HDs with a
    ThinkPad. If you have any insights into this (at this ungodly hour),
    I'd appreciate hearing them.

    mutefan, Dec 28, 2004
  4. mutefan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    The idea of an external disk is you use a usb2 or firewire interface.
    The chipset's ATA interface doesn't come into play.

    You can get 100 gb internal laptop disk drives these days. That
    should be enough for reasonable video editing tasks too.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2004
  5. mutefan

    J. Clarke Guest

    Or for 40 bucks you can get an external SATA enclosure and for another 30 or
    so a Cardbus SATA host adapter, that gives you access to drives up to 400
    gig.

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2004
  6. mutefan

    Francis Guest

    He's correct. I assume you (i.e., mutefan) was referring to my
    posts. Paul is correct, the TP's ATA chipset doesn't come into
    play when it comes to external storage.

    The problem with ALi chipsets that I referred to is with the
    USB-to-IDE bridge chipset on the enclosure itself and the USB2.0
    interface chipset on the PCMCIA/cardbus card.

    Sorry for not being clearer.

    HTH.
    | Francis Hartojo SDF Public Access UNIX System http://sdf.lonestar.org |
    | echo "" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]' |