Highest speed cpu for Abit KT&-RAID?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Tony!, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Tony!

    Tony! Guest

    I found on
    http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=91
    That the bios "KT7-RAID BIOS 4A" ad support for the "AMD
    1.4GHz(133)CPU." But apparently only on the kt7A(-raid) boards...

    So does that mean that I can use a 1.3 Socket A Thunderbird on my
    mobo?

    Or can it use a tbred or MP cpu...

    Once I got my cpu/mobo a long while back, I haven't kept too current
    on the new CPUs since I have a real low budget for computer parts...
    :(

    Now to run Adobe Premiere, It seems I need SSE support.. grr..

    Would anyone here be able to tell me what's the fastest/best CPU I
    could get for this mothrboard (which I assume would also support SSE
    instructions)?

    (I know I should upgrade it all, but $50 on a CPU upgrade is
    financially possible at the moment, new mobo/ram/cpu isn't)

    Thanks for any advice/assistance :)

    Tony!

    Tony!, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Tony!

    Tony! Guest

    Forgot to also mention that I currently an using an 850mhz Athlon
    Tbird on the board (which is an Abit Kt7-Raid board) and I just
    flashed it to the latest bios KT7_A9.BIN.

    Tony!

    Tony!, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Tony!

    Tony! Guest

    <snip>

    Found on Paul's wonderful faq
    http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2&fcid=16

    "KT7/KT7-RAID: 100MHz (200MHz DDR) FSB processors only. Fastest
    processor supported is the Athlon 1400(100) - but it must have locked
    (disconnected) L1 bridges. AthlonXP processors are not and will not be
    supported. Duron processors yp to 1200 are supported. "

    what does the "200MHz DDR" mean?
    DDR is a type of ram that the KT7(Raid) doesn't support

    A friend traded me a 1.2ghz 200MHz FSB cpu for a piece of softward I
    had that he wanted... I haven't tried installing it yet because
    A. I'm a tad chicken about messing with the CPU
    B. Not sure if a 200MHz FSB CPU will work on this mobo. (Will it?)
    C. If I found out I can get a faster cpu for it (for low $$), I might
    as well do that. :)

    Also.. unless you unlock the cpu yourself (or get it from an
    overclocker who did), the cpu will have the L1 bridges not connected,,
    right?

    Thanks again for any assistance/advice :)

    Tony!

    Tony!, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Tony!

    Wes Newell Guest

    It means whoever wrote it doesn't know how to express themselves. The FSb
    is 100MHz. Data is Double Data Rate or DDR200, not 200MHz. And the board
    isn't limted to anything other than the FSB speed. Multiplier x FSB = CPU
    speed. So with a multiplier of 24, and a FSB of 100, you can run a cpu at
    2400MHz. AMD hasn't made one rated that fast yet.:)
    Correct. Standard SDRAM.
    A 1.2GHz Tbird runs on a 100MHz FSB, unles it's a B model which runs on a
    default 133Mhz FSB. But the default FSB is not something that is real. You
    control thre FSB speed. IOW, a 133MHz cpu will run on a 100MHz FSB, or
    even slower. It can also run on a faster FSB.
    Only the Palomino core XP's (and earlier cpu's) have the L1's cut.
    See link below for all you want to know.

    Wes Newell, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Tony!

    Skid Guest

    AMD doubles the fsb just to confuse you. A 200 fsb cpu runs on a 100 mhz
    fsb. 266 takes 133, 400 takes 200, etc.
    It will work, and will be a step up from your old 850. Clear the CMOS and
    plug it in. Go into softmenu and set it for 12x100. Should fire right up.
    (Remember to write down and duplicate any other bios settings you might have
    lost when clearing the CMOS.

    Depends on the cpu. This one probably will be locked.

    FYI, most current AMD cpus will work on that board, including the XP and
    Barton chips. The trick is finding the right multiplier. Too complicated to
    explain here, but check the sig in any of Wes Newell's posts for a link to a
    page that tells you how.

    Skid, Dec 30, 2003
  6. |
    | FYI, most current AMD cpus will work on that board, including the XP and
    | Barton chips. The trick is finding the right multiplier. Too complicated
    | explain here, but check the sig in any of Wes Newell's posts for a link to
    | page that tells you how.

    Actually, I have seen very few non "A" KT7 capable of running over
    120-125MHz fsb without some cooling modifications to the chipset. All "A"
    versions of the KT7 board seem to be able to handle the XP including Bartons
    quite well, as they were specifically designed to do 133+. Out of the 15-20
    non "A" KT7s I have tested with a 133MHz chip, only 2 have ever successfully
    made it to 133 and posting. Of those two, only one would make it into
    windows. I have never had a single hitch, however, with getting a KT7A to
    run any chip I have thrown at it.

    Jason Cothran, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Tony!

    Wes Newell Guest

    It really doesn't matter that the KT7 (or any chipset) won't provide a
    133MHz FSB. All AMD Athlon/Duron CPU's are capable of running on a 100MHz
    (or way lower) FSB just fine. And you can get the max speed out of all
    the cpu's with the exception of the newer ones that have internally locked
    multipliers. If you want to know how to do this, see link below.

    Wes Newell, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Tony!

    J.Clarke Guest

    OK, Wes, since you claim that a Barton will run on any chipset, how do I
    get a Barton to run on a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus?

    J.Clarke, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Tony!

    Skid Guest

    I'm not Wes, but if you'll search the Soyo forum at http://forums.amdmb.com/
    you'll see that a number of people are successfully running Bartons on that
    board. Apparently the 3000+ is the best bet to run at or near its rated
    speed. Some of them are using modified bios files and cap mods to increase
    the odds of success. Can't vouch for any of it personally, but I found lots
    of folks who say it can be done.

    Skid, Dec 31, 2003