Highpoint Errors on BE7 Raid

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Marcus, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello,

    I finally got my cold boot lock up fixed after 6 months, Western Digital
    sent me a new Hard drive to replace my 80GB Special Edition drive
    WD800JB-00CRA1 with a 120GB drive with a completely different firmware which
    so far has been ok.

    Tonight I switched on my PC and just before my PC booted into the desktop, I
    Just had the mouse pointer on a black screen, I thought here we go again
    with another lock up but I left it and after a few minutes it booted very
    slowly into Windows XP Pro.

    I checked the event viewer and I had 2 errors showing several times, they
    were:-

    1.An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging
    operation

    2.The Device \device\scsi\hpt3xx1, did not respond within the timeout period

    I rebooted several times and it kept doing the same, I then switched it off
    as I had to go out and I've just switched my PC on and rebooted several
    times and it seems OK now.

    I have the latest DP BIOS and the latest 2.32 highpoint Driver installed
    with a fresh copy of Win XP Pro with all updates and latest drivers
    installed. Google had posts with the same errors of older boards but I can't
    find one with my BE7 Raid motherboard.

    Any Idea's on this one chaps, Thanks

    Marcus

    Marcus, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    so you don't have a raid, just are using the Highpoint as an ATA100
    controller? you have checked the version of the drivers in the OS and made
    sure that they are 2.32? and the Highpoint bios is 2.32 as well?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 115,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Tom, On the USA Abit site there are 2.34 Raid drivers for download but their
    BIOS only has 2.32 as well, can the 2.34 version be used with the DP Bios
    with the 2.32 Raid BIOS or do you think there is going to be a new
    motherboard BIOS update soon with an update to the Raid BIOS??

    Marcus

    Marcus, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    I doubt Abit will update the mainboard bios to include 2.34 Highpoint bios
    but give a look on my site under /beta and see if I don't already have the
    BE7 mainboard bios with 2.34 embedded. if not, let me know and I'll create
    one for you but you should keep the bios and drivers matched. don't use
    2.34 drivers with 2.32 bios in other words...

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    the board has the well known bad capacitor problem. there was nothing wrong
    with the original CPU most likely as the caps make faster CPU's fail before
    slower CPU's as there is a more critical timing factor. Homie, in the US,
    has many satisfied customers with board repairs and BigBadger is in the UK
    doing the same.
    --
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20Pic/BE6II%20bad%20caps1.jpg
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20Pic/BX133%20caps.jpg

    --
    Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
    customers:

    Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

    http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/

    (look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
    BigBadger@btinternet***NO-SPAM***.com with the obvious
    spam protection removed...)

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Test run OK , no errors. If there was an intermittent error with the drive
    would it store a fault code which could be read with the drive fitness test
    ??

    Marcus

    Marcus, Aug 14, 2003
  7. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    I have had a reply from Highpoint and they have suggested the following:-

    You may try to update your driver and BIOS to v2.34. You may download them
    from http://www.highpoint-tech.com/driver_v234_370_372.zip
    You also can check your hard disk. If it is defective, may be get the error
    information.
    You may try to do delete and re-create the swapfile .
    If still have this problem, you can change a PCI slot, and re-connect your
    hard disks to our controller, it does matter the electric incompatible issue

    The zip file contains a folder for upgrading the Highpoint BIOS so I might
    give that a try tonight.

    I'll not really sure what they mean by changing a PCI slot, perhaps they
    think I have a stand alone HP card, Do you think should just delete the swap
    file from Windows Explorer or do I need to disable and re-enable it in the
    Virtual Memory option window ?

    Cheers mate,

    Marcus

    Marcus, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    I have seen posts where folks said the drive passed the fitness test but
    then went on to fail. can't say that is what is going on with your
    situation but I can say I have never had any issues with the 370/372
    controller under XP running 2.0.1203 or 2.32 or 2.34 bios and driver sets.
    All I can suggest is that you try to wait it out or sub out the drive and
    see what happens.

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  9. Marcus

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    Sounds exactly like what was going on with my system, before the drive
    failed. Also and IBM drive. Also passed the fitness test at first. Same
    symptoms: the drive would disappear from Raid Administrator window, then
    would come back on a reboot. Did not show up with a fail code for about a
    week afterwards.

    I would make sure to back up the data while you are still getting some
    response from the drive.

    Jerry Polyak, Aug 14, 2003
  10. Marcus

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I'd just like to chime in and say that I'm running a BE7-RAID with the DP
    BIOS (HighPoint controller ver. 2.32), but version 2.34 drivers. Runs fine.
    IIRC, the HD benchmarks are a bit faster with the 2.34 drivers as well.
    Also, the 2.34 drivers were available as a driver download option on the
    Windows Update site. fwiw...

    R. J. Salvi, Aug 14, 2003
  11. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    I knew we recently discussed this in the group but I was unable to pull up
    (in the brain) who it was with! old age settin in and brain fatigue!

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  12. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    true, you *can* do it. however, it is *recommended* by Highpoint that you
    match the driver and bios version. in the past, we also saw bios and driver
    mismatches that resulted in issues.

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  13. Marcus

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    | I knew we recently discussed this in the group but I was unable to pull up
    | (in the brain) who it was with! old age settin in and brain fatigue!
    |
    | --
    |
    | Thomas Geery
    | Network+ certified
    |
    | ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    | ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
    | This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
    | over 115,000 FTP users served!
    | ^^^^^^^

    LOL. But drinking aged whiskey is not the same thing as old age.

    Jerry Polyak, Aug 14, 2003
  14. Marcus

    KJ Guest

    My problem with the Highpoint RocketRAID 1640 (HPT374 chipset):

    I am trying to install the OS (tried both Windows 2000 and XP) on a 3-disk
    RAID 5 array with no other IDE hard drives installed with both matching
    driver/BIOS versions (have tried both versions 2.01 & 2.02). I was unable
    to utilize RAID 0 configurations as well, but can use single drive modes
    just fine. I have changed cables, power supplies, and other variables with
    no improvement over this RAID 5 obstacle, and the use of RAID 5 is the very
    reason I bought this card!

    I have just run Western Digital's latest diagnostics software on each drive.
    Both the quick and extended tests pass with no errors for each drive, but
    errors are always present when I try to do a low-level format, there appears
    to be a IRQ timeout error. The IRQ for the controller card is NOT shared
    with any other device and the system normally handles IRQ's properly for
    everything but this controller card (and I have changed the IRQ to other
    unused IRQs with no improvement).

    HDDs: 3 x 36GB WD 10,000 rpm Raptor SATA drives
    (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp#spec)
    Abit IS7-G motherboard (tried several very conservative BIOS configurations,
    and different PCI slots to no avail) latest BIOS
    2 x 512 MB PC3200 Corsair XMS LL memory
    Intel P4 3.0C
    Lite-On DVD/CDRW drive master on IDE channel 1 (no other IDE drives of any
    type)

    Memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) has run several detailed iterations and there
    are NO CPU/memory errors.

    Is there a known incompatibility with these drives?

    Thanks for any help or suggestions.

    KJ, Aug 14, 2003
  15. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    so you are trying to use the Highpoint controller as an add-in controller on
    the IS7, right? but I am a little confused because I didn't think the
    Highpoint was a SATA controller so either I don't understand what you are
    doing or there is some cross-up here... apologies if Highpoint has come out
    with a SATA controller and I wasn't aware...

    have you hit F6 to install the drivers into XP early on in the install
    process?

    I am running the Highpoint 372 controller as an add-in card in an IC7-G
    which is essentially the same situation except running raid 0. upon
    installing the drivers by hitting F6, I had no issues getting XP happy on
    the system.

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  16. Marcus

    KJ Guest

    Yes, it's a SATA RAID 5 capable card. I'd now wished I had the RAID 5
    capability of my IT7, but the IS7-G can't do RAID 5 because of the two
    independant SATA controllers.

    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/rr1640.htm

    The OS install fails on bootup after formatting (5 sec for full
    format...something is wrong!) and completing installation up to the first
    reboot of OS install. Of couse the drivers got loaded...and the ones that
    matched the BIOS as well.

    KJ, Aug 14, 2003
  17. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    thanks for straightening me out on the controller. so you install the
    drivers by hitting F6 and move forward from there. I assume you have
    already created the raid 5 array in the bios of the Highpoint controller and
    all of that indicates that it has set up fine?

    have you tried it with any other type of raid such as a raid 0 just to see
    what happens? any other version of driver available to try?

    TomG, Aug 14, 2003
  18. Marcus

    KJ Guest

    Tried two driver versions (two most recent, only three since product
    inception), RAID 0 also demonstrated the same problems on this controller.
    As I type this, I have a RAID 0 working well on the Abit SilSATA working,
    and am using the Windoz RAID Mgmt. software on the third disk to determine
    Windoz-to-HPTcontroller IRQ handeling....and it seems to work! Go figure?

    To be most clear, yes I always hit F6 to load the matching driver. RAID 5
    array created and synchronized parity, with boot disk established.

    Still I'm baffled. I'm wondering if I've got some badl drivers that only
    demonstrate a flaw during the OS install?

    KJ, Aug 14, 2003
  19. Marcus

    KJ Guest

    Ha!!! The format through the HPT controller FAILED! I have no reason now
    not to suspect anything but a flawed controller and/or drivers at this
    point. (the "seems to work" was a format starting, but failed at 97%)

    KJ, Aug 14, 2003
  20. Marcus

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    If I remember correctly Raid5 is the same as Raid0+1. If that is the case,
    I would suspect that you need four drives to make it work.
    I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into.

    Jerry Polyak, Aug 14, 2003