    40GB/4200rpm drive which I think is already running too hot. Do the
    5400rpm and 7200rpm drives run even hotter?

    /kl

    King Lear, Jul 25, 2004

  2. King Lear

    Dan Koren Guest

    I have tried a couple of Hitachi E7K60 (heavy duty
    version of the 7K60). Performance was excellent,
    and I have not noticed any thermal problems. The
    drives' temperature was stable at 42 dec C even
    under continuous benchmarks (as reported by a
    SMART utility). However, the E7K60 is rather
    noisy, plus one of the drives failed after a
    couple of months.

    I have also tried a couple of Toshiba MK-5024GAY,
    which are also 7200 rpm drives with 16 MB caches.
    I must say I am very impressed. They are quiet,
    performance is even better than the E7K60, and
    they are cheaper too. Highest recommendation.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Jul 25, 2004

  3. King Lear

    John Guest

    I use both of these and find no problems with heat:

    Checkout: $130
    Toshiba MK6026GAX - 60GB ATA-6 - 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101671

    Checkout: $188
    Toshiba MK8026GAX - 80GB ATA-6 - 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101678

    I chose high buffer and lower price over 7,200 rpm. Remember that laptop
    components should be designed to withstand 90 degrees Celcius.

    Regards ... John

    John, Jul 25, 2004
  4. King Lear

    Volker Braun Guest

    I upgraded to the 7k60 and have no heat problems whatsoever from the
    drive. If there is any difference then it is too small to notice.

    Technically, it runs faster and therefore should dissipate more power. But
    this is apparently countered by better mechanics and miniaturization.

    The speed difference is noticeable :)

    Cheers,
    Volker

    Volker Braun, Jul 26, 2004