    I recently upgraded my 4200rpm drive to 5k80 80gb drive and noticed a
    slight rise in temperature and a significant drop in battery life.
    Anyone who did this upgrade noticed the same thing?

    Bob G., Aug 16, 2004

  2. |
    | I recently upgraded my 4200rpm drive to 5k80 80gb drive and noticed a
    | slight rise in temperature and a significant drop in battery life.
    | Anyone who did this upgrade noticed the same thing?

    Interesting. With the 7k60 (60GB 7200RPM), there is no battery difference or
    temperature change between it and a Hitachi 80GB 4200RPM.

    Jason Cothran, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Bob G.

    Dan Koren Guest

    Compared to what drive?

    The difference in temperature going from a
    4200 rpm drive to a 5400 rpm drive should
    not be noticeable.

    But there may be other factors involved.
    Are/were the two drives mounted bare, or
    using an adapter kit? Some of those have
    shields or covers that may impede rather
    than help drive cooling.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Aug 16, 2004