    left off the recovery CDs? Like maybe they decided it's not a good idea.

    BTW, there is a critical notice on the IBM web site for these drives. The
    notice dated June 1, but the driver is from April.

    Unknown, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Unknown

    Horst Franke Guest

    Hi "NOBODY", whow and what was installed?
    A 7200 rpm drive does not look like for Thinkpad usage conditions.
    Would require too much power and heat reduction.
    But You got a recovery CD - what do You inspect more?
    7200 RPM drives are not designed for notebook usage.
    What partitions did You find on it? What's the used tool?
    What do You mean - a protected HDD partition - to be recovered
    by IBM Access?
    What did You download and install? What was left off?
    Where did You got the info from, what's should been there?
    And what? Did You followed that notice?
    Which driver of what are You talking about?

    Please report more specific details.
    Horst.

    Horst Franke, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Sorry for being so frank, but that's total nonsense.

    These hard drives *are* designed for notebook use, cf.

    <http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/33C6A76DF9338B0A86256D34007054C0>,

    and they are even the standard configuration for the ThinkPad
    T41*p*/T42*p* models, cf.

    <http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=8672731&storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=-840>
    and
    <http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=8717101&storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=-840>.

    There are also a great deal of people who use such drives successfully
    even in much older ThinkPad models like the 600 series. Some of them
    have already posted their experiences awhile ago on this group.

    However, there have been (and probably still are) some serious
    problems with IBM's new so-called "Active Protection System", cf.

    <http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=d...2760%246i.1884%40nwrddc02.gnilink.net&rnum=1>.

    Thus, as it has remained unanswered by you, I'd like to repeat the
    original poster's central question concerning the APS software
    package:

    "Before I download and install it, does anyone know if that's
    intentionally left off the recovery CDs? Like maybe they decided it's
    not a good idea."

    Best,
    Monty

    monty cantsin, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Unknown

    Donkey Agony Guest

    Reminds me of a customer I had at a computer store in 1984 who ridiculed
    the 10MB hard drives shipping with the Kaypro 10 and the IBM PC XT and
    who commented:

    "Hard drives aren't designed for personal computers. Heck,
    you can run all of *General Motors* off a 5MB hard drive."

    BTW, *my* 60GB 7200rpm Hitachi was designed quite well for *my*
    Thinkpad... :)

    Donkey Agony, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Unknown

    jake Guest

    recovery cd's are constantly being updated and changed as newer models come
    out, h/w changes, etc. .. don't believe it was left off for any particular
    reason except maybe the cd was created from an image that didnt have it
    installed ..

    only complaint I've heard about the active protection is from people
    complaing that it is too sensitive .. when they move the thinkpad it parks
    the drive .. and they dont disable the popup ..

    jake, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Unknown

    Horst Franke Guest

    "monty cantsin"
    Hi Monty and Donkey.
    I was only reflecting what I read about 7200 RPM disk usages on desktop
    systems "They need more power and *extra cooling* ".
    Thus I doubt if a notebook will be able to provide this.
    And then You might see a lot of "blower running continuously" reports :-(
    Ok, as You are aware of that topic, why did You not answer it?
    To be honest, I've never been involved by APS.
    Looks like it doesn't appear on my G40.
    Horst.

    Horst Franke, Jun 14, 2004
  7. That's basically true, but you can't simply compare them to notebook
    drives (which are, well it's been said already, intended for typical
    notebook use). It's like comparing apples and oranges. For instance,
    the 7k60 uses the new so-called femto- instead of the conventional
    pico-sliders built into slower notebook drives, which makes the whole
    thing less power demanding.

    See
    http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/tech...799B/$file/FemtoWhitePaperTS7K60-newcover.pdf
    (Page 6).

    Or simply compare the datasheets.

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/80gn/80gn.htm
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/7k60/7k60.htm

    4200rpm and 7200rpm drives differ just minimally.
    Whether extra cooling is necessary depends on how hot the drive does
    typically get in relation to how much heat it can stand. Since it's a
    notebook drive, it has been designed with these aspects in mind, as
    you can't simply add extra cooling to a notebook. I suggest you to
    take a look at some tests, they show only some very marginal
    temperature differences between 4200, 5400 and 7200rpm drives.

    See
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/print.php?cid=10&id=879
    (Section "Results - Temperature").
    Well, you may doubt it, if you like, but that doesn't change anything
    about the fact that it works perfectly fine. As I outlined before,
    those drives even come preinstalled with certain notebook models.
    No, I won't, because the fans in notebook systems are never controlled
    by the temperature sensors in the hard drive. Thus the HDD would have
    to become abysmally hot and nearly set the case on fire in order for
    the CPU/GPU fan to start blowing. In my subnotebooks (ThinkPad 570 and
    570E) the drives can reach the critical temperature of 55 degrees C
    and above, but the fan will always remain *off* as long as the CPU is
    below 69.

    Btw,
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/22/1037697856858.html?oneclick=true
    ("Laptop burns man's genitals")
    Hey, you cool. :) Because I do not know. I don't have any in-house
    connections to IBM or its partners, so I cannot answer that question
    accurately.
    Exactly.

    Best regards,
    Monty

    monty cantsin, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Unknown

    Song Li Guest

    In 1926 everyone said there was no such thing as a personal computer.

    Song Li, Jun 24, 2004