Hitachi 7K60 7200RPM laptop drive

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by J.D. Bronson, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. J.D. Bronson

    J.D. Bronson Guest

    Hey guys/gals - please reply to this if you have one:

    I just got one of these drives for my IBM R40 Centrino laptop. What a
    difference!!!

    However, one thing concerns/annoys me...

    I hear a whirring (windy rustling sound) coming from the drive..now I
    presume that's due to the 7200 RPM, but it also seems to change (faster --
    then slower....then stays slower for a time...)

    It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I am actually using the drive or if
    the laptop is simply idle. I have nothing running and all the 'defrag' and
    other things that could mess with the drive (like indexing) are all fully
    disabled. I run XP Pro.

    Is this normal? - if so what and why?

    anyone else see this?

    ...Please respond only back to the group. Thanks in advance for ANY and ALL
    replies!

    J.D. Bronson, Feb 14, 2004

  2. J.D. Bronson

    Dan Koren Guest

    Defrag and indexing do not mess up disk drives.
    Quite the contrary. You need to index the drive
    for faster access, and you need to defrag and
    check the drive regularly in order to avoid
    surprises. This is basic hygiene, just like
    brushing one's teeth.

    Hard to tell just from the description you gave us.
    There may be any number of tasks or services running
    in the background that you may not be aware of.

    I would suggest rebooting the system in safe mode
    (press F8 during boot) just to see if this still
    happens.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 15, 2004

  3. J.D. Bronson

    J.D. Bronson Guest

    Umm I use Diskeeper for defrag at least 1x a week. It does not run unless
    requested (service set to manual).

    I think there are different opinions on indexing for faster searches...I
    dont use 'search' and as such - disable the index feature. I never noticed
    any difference either way though.
    Nope. The machine is quite idle.
    This I can answer easily. It will make this noise while I am in the BIOS
    setup prior to XP even running. I think if I had thought of mentioning that
    first, things would be a bit clearer - sorry.

    Its like the drive is doing some sort of something. Beats me what it could
    be. My other Fuji/IBM drives don't do this. In fact, my 4200rpm FUJI drive
    is the most silent I have ever used...but the performance is no where near
    the performance on the 7K60 :)

    Jeff

    J.D. Bronson, Feb 15, 2004
  4. J.D. Bronson

    Alex Quant Guest

    Could it possibly be that you are hearing the processor fan rather than the
    hard-drive?

    AlexQ.

    ~ Reply-to valid ~

    Alex Quant, Feb 15, 2004
  5. J.D. Bronson

    Dan Koren Guest

    Does the drive have the latest and
    greatest firmware? You may want to
    check www.hgst.com's support site
    for updates.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 15, 2004
  6. J.D. Bronson

    Joe Davis Guest

    I think JD is right. Indexing only helps when you use the search feature,
    and it uses a lot of overhead to keep the indexes up to date. But the worst
    part is if you copy a large number of files to your machine--say 5 or 10 GB.
    Indexing will steal a lot of CPU cycles trying to index all that stuff--if
    you want to use indexing, you need to resign yourself to giving a the
    machine a couple of hours to catch up after transferring large blocks of
    data. If your files stay fairly static, you probably won't notice. I
    update a 7 GB database frequently and indexing totally kills my machine--I
    keep it turned off.

    Joe Davis, Feb 15, 2004
  7. J.D. Bronson

    J.D. Bronson Guest

    nah. this is a centrino. The cpu fan almost never runs :)
    In fact, I have only felt/heard it run when I am actually loading up XP :)

    J.D. Bronson, Feb 15, 2004
  8. J.D. Bronson

    J.D. Bronson Guest

    Can someone verify this? - I didnt see any firmware updates....this drive is
    11/03 dated.

    J.D. Bronson, Feb 15, 2004
  9. J.D. Bronson

    E Brown Guest

    I'm using the same drive in a Thinkpad and I don't get that - it's
    a steady low-pitch whirring that I can barely hear.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Feb 15, 2004
  10. Mine is quiet. Before deciding that the drive is bad I recommend to do
    several things:
    - run some diagnostic software (Sandra, Aida32) and check S.M.A.R.T.
    parameters of the drive - it might reveal problems
    - see if you have "acoustic management" turned off on the drive
    - run dft (Drive Fitness Test) on the drive

    Alexei

    Alexei Boukirev, Feb 15, 2004
  11. J.D. Bronson

    J.D. Bronson Guest

    Ok. I ran DFT 3.60 and everything passed 100%.

    I also currently have the drive set as follows:

    1.UDMA Mode 5 set and using this.
    2. Acoustic set to 128 (Quiet)
    3. Power Management set to 254 (Performance)
    4. Write cache - enabled
    5. Read ahead/look - enabled

    ...any comments on the 'acoustic' setting either way?
    The drive is much quieter now with this setting...any idea how much (if any)
    performance I would loose by setting the acoustic setting to quiet?

    Thanks Guys-

    J.D. Bronson, Feb 15, 2004
  12. It really depends. I'm doing video editing and I'm satisfied so far.
    Mind you, it's not heavy compositing - just a couple of video streams,
    the second typically coming from external Firewire drive.
    You have to decide for yourself.

    Also, I would not trust completely DFT results. Over a year ago I had
    three Travelstar HDs fail within month. They showed totally healthy in
    DFT but Windows Event Log was filled with sector failure errors, so I had
    time to save data. I would believe DFT only if it showed errors - then
    there will be a legitimate reason to exchange drive under warranty.

    But those drives failing did not keep me from buying 7K60 because:
    - it is Hitachi now, not IBM
    - there is nothing really comparable on the market (even 5400rpm Toshiba
    with huge cache)

    I have heard that Thinkpads have now "HD protection" that parks heads if
    it senses bumping on the case. I wonder if it could be set too sensitive
    and cause unnecessary head-parking and spin-up/down. Or what if it's
    broken.

    Alexei

    Alexei Boukirev, Feb 15, 2004
  13. J.D. Bronson

    rgooding77 Guest

    Hi JD
    I'm considering getting a 7200 rpm HD for the "old" Inspiron 5100 and I'm
    not really seeing too much online in terms of performance gains for this
    sort of upgrade form a 4200 - 7200 HD, can you give me some examples of how
    this had your computing experience better - no graphs or stats needed but
    just your observations.
    was it worth it in your opinion?

    thanks, rgooding77

    thinking of getting a 5400 rpm drive with a large 16 Mb cache, do you think
    that would be a better trade off versus pure speed with a standard 2/8 Mb
    cache?

    rgooding77, Feb 16, 2004
  14. J.D. Bronson

    Donkey Agony Guest

    You might want to try searching google groups.

    Considering the performance gain I got from going from 5400 to 7200rpm
    (i.e., I was very impressed), I think you'd get a heck of a boost coming
    from 4200.

    Donkey Agony, Feb 16, 2004
  15. J.D. Bronson

    Monika Guest

    But those drives failing did not keep me from buying 7K60 because:
    - it is Hitachi now, not IBM
    - there is nothing really comparable on the market (even 5400rpm Toshiba
    with huge cache)

    I have heard that Thinkpads have now "HD protection" that parks heads if
    it senses bumping on the case. I wonder if it could be set too sensitive
    and cause unnecessary head-parking and spin-up/down. Or what if it's
    broken.

    Alexei

    =========

    for anyone interested I would advise do some reading .... on hdd performance
    considerations of new drives available on the market

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/hitachi-25-7200_10.html

    for me ... I am using little bit old for these days MK6021GAS ... and I
    think it is the time to change .... but I am undecided for what, heh

    regards
    monika

    Monika, Feb 21, 2004