    HD when it was formatted by (Fedora Core 9 ) linux but not the HD
    which was formatted as FAT32 by WinXP (by the Dell Inspiration 2200).

    Shouldn't I be able to see the HD from Windows Explorer?

    Deodiaus, Aug 10, 2009

  2. Deodiaus

    Ben Myers Guest

    A hard drive can be seen by Windows Explorer if:

    1a. The motherboard BIOS "sees" it, i.e. recognizes it.
    1b. Or it is successfully mounted as an USB (or old-time PCMCIA laptop)
    drive.
    2. It has at least one valid partition table, NTFS or FAT32, on it.

    I know of no other conditions which would allow Windows Explorer to see
    and access it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2009

  3. Re: "Shouldn't I be able to see the HD from Windows Explorer?"

    I know it sounds like a simple question, but it's surprisingly complex.

    You won't be able to see it unless a bunch of hardware and software
    conditions are satisfied. These include proper master / slave / cable
    select jumpering, proper responses to various commands by the controller
    and the presence of proper master boot records, partition boot records,
    partitions and (possibly) logical drives within partitions on the hard
    drive. There are a couple dozen ways that you could not see anything in
    Explorer even though the drive, at a hardware level, was good (not to
    mention that you may not see anything if the drive is bad).

    Barry Watzman, Aug 10, 2009
  4. Deodiaus

    Deodiaus Guest

    The HD shows up in the BIOS on the HP Pavilion.
    It is the only HD on that IDE ribbon cable (there are two slots on the
    MB, maybe I'll try swapping them).
    BTW, I did see it show up once (as file format RAW) before running the
    DFT.
    Now, when I use partition table editor, I get "error reading MBR at
    the specified sector!"

    Deodiaus, Aug 10, 2009
  5. Deodiaus

    Ben Myers Guest

    One possibility is to take your Windows install CD, boot it up in repair
    mode, and from the command line fix the master boot record, which
    appears to have been damaged. After that, one hopes you can see the
    partition table... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 10, 2009
  6. If the drive was not assigned a letter, it could be there and Windows
    KNOWS t there but Windows Explorer won't show it.

    To see if that is the case, run the Computer Management MSC.

    Once it has loaded, click on 'Disk Management' in the left pane of the
    window.

    If you see the drive in the right pane, right-click on it and choose
    'Change Drive Letter and Paths'. Assign a letter, then the drive will be
    visible in WIndows Explorer.

    Sincerely,
    C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T

    CSD Computer Services

    Web site: http://csdcs.site90.net/
    E-mail: 90.net

    C.Joseph Drayton, Aug 10, 2009
  7. Deodiaus

    Ben Myers Guest

    Hardly! If the "drive" has no letter, it means that the drive does not
    have at least one partition of a type known to and recognized by Windows
    XP, i.e. NTFS, FAT32, or (rarely) FAT16. Windows XP Disk Management
    will show which space is allocated and to which partitions. Or to no
    partition at all. If there is no known partition, you can't assign a
    drive letter.

    As an example, a drive with Linux partition on it will not show up in
    Windows, because Windows is incapable of reading a Linux file system.

    Yet another example: The diagnostic partition found on the
    factory-loaded hard drives of many Dell computers has a partition type
    of 0xDF, IIRC. It is a "hidden" partition, which really means that
    Windows does not know about it. But it is really a FAT32 partition with
    data organized exactly like FAT32, and a partition type changed so that
    users will not muck around with it.

    Okay? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 11, 2009
  8. Deodiaus

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Aug 11, 2009
  9. Deodiaus

    Happy Oyster Guest

    Sure. Life is tough...

    The problem with hidden partitions is that they are hidden - and such idiotic
    things like Windows insist on being on a certain partition IN RELATION to
    others.

    I found out that using the installation DVD for SuSE is better to use than many
    acclaimed tools.

    The problem with those tools is that they do not tell you what they actually do
    or what their "description" REALLY is about.

    The installation DVD has the point or "organizing" the HDDs - or whatever they
    call it. Background is that they make partitions.

    The installer is damned stupid and would mess up each time. So do not follow it
    "advices"!!!

    The thing to use is the "expert" part where the existing partition table can be
    loaded with. Do load the existing partition tables from the HDDs and look at
    them. THERE you will see what really is going on.

    A good way to prevent partitions from being messed up is to change their type.
    You do not have to hide them or to overwrite them. Just change the type to
    something really strange. So, to prevent Windows XP from messing up a partition,
    just declare it as some type of unix. ;O)

    After the installation work with the Windows OS is done, make the change of that
    partitions back to the real type.

    This method is easy.

    If one knows how to use the "rescue" part of the SuSE installation DVD, the
    better. There you have more tools at hand.

    Happy Oyster, Aug 11, 2009
  10. Deodiaus

    Ben Myers Guest

    Poltergeists at work! I cannot understand how that could be possible
    unless the drive was pre-formatted with an NTFS or FAT32 partition.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 11, 2009
  11. Deodiaus

    Happy Oyster Guest

    Very simple: M$ chose to push another madness onto the market: A HDD has to be
    "accepted". A HDD gets an individual number. AFTER that it can be accessed.

    Exchanging HDDs can be very complicated because of these "signatures".

    Don't ask me for the details, please. I NEVER deal with that stuff. When a
    shitty OS wants to make such things, I kill it.

    Happy Oyster, Aug 12, 2009
  12. Deodiaus

    Ben Myers Guest

    I will ask you for the details. I am asking you for the details. Maybe
    it is my brain going numb, but I do not understand at all what you are
    describing here. It lacks the detail needed to be understood. It also
    flies in the face of a considerable number of years troubleshooting,
    repairing and upgrading Windows based computers... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 12, 2009
  13. Deodiaus

    Happy Oyster Guest

    AS I WROTE:

    I NEVER deal with that stuff.
    *****************************
    When a shitty OS wants to make such things, I kill it.

    Happy Oyster, Aug 12, 2009
  14. Deodiaus

    Happy Oyster Guest

    The important point is: such a mess is a) totally inneccessary and b) a means of
    warfare. If you lose a HDD you COULD easily exchange it, but the OS insists on
    the old one - and as it does not get it goes berserk and spoils your
    installation. That is an attack on MY computer which I consider criminal. And it
    is M$ which commits that crime.

    Happy Oyster, Aug 12, 2009
  15. Deodiaus

    Ben Myers Guest

    This does not make sense either... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 12, 2009
  16. Deodiaus

    BillW50 Guest

    In Happy Oyster typed on Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:27:41 +0100:
    I don't blame you. It isn't what you can do for your OS, but what your
    OS can do for you! <grin>

    BillW50, Aug 12, 2009
  17. Deodiaus

    BillW50 Guest

    In Happy Oyster typed on Wed, 12 Aug 2009 01:10:30 +0100:
    MS-DOS 7's FDISK has a feature/bug that removes this signature with the
    MBR switch. While Windows v5 and higher Repair Console doesn't have this
    feature/bug so causes the OS to get confused if it has seen this drive's
    serial number before as a different drive.

    BillW50, Aug 12, 2009
  18. Deodiaus

    WSZsr Guest

    WSZsr, Aug 12, 2009
  19. Hi!
    Not all the time. I have seen Windows do exactly as Joseph has
    described. For whatever reason, there are some times when Windows
    would have no problem accessing the contents of a drive but will not
    assign it a drive letter.

    I've only known conventional Windows 2000, XP Home or Pro 32-bit
    editions to do this rarely. Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 seems to do it
    a lot more often with some USB hard drives that are rotated around for
    backups.

    In any event, a little tinker in Computer Management fixes it IF the
    disk contains a file system that Windows can recognize.
    I'm scared to think that anyone has installed XP on a disk small
    enough to use FAT16! Maybe with nLite or other methods...

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 12, 2009
  20. Hi!
    There's really not any "hacking" required to do this. Changing the
    partition descriptor enough will be sufficient to "hide" a magical or
    special purpose partition from "curious" users.

    Malicious software, such as a rootkit, could hide a drive or partition
    by way of modifying the operating system such that it lies to you.

    TweakUI can also hide drive icons so they don't show up in My
    Computer.
    Windows (NT-based versions only) supports the concept of installable
    file systems. If one isn't supported out of the box, you can (at least
    in theory) write a driver to let Windows read (or read and write) to a
    type of file system not supported out of the box.

    There was a time when Windows shipped with the ability to read and
    write OS/2 HPFS partitions. That capability was eventually reduced to
    read only support, and finally pulled, but I'm told that there is an
    installable driver on Windows 2000 installation media to restore this
    support.

    There are also ext2/ext3 installable file system drivers for Windows.
    These will let you read many (but not all) Linux-prepared hard disks.
    I've used one of these drivers to read the disks from my Linksys NSLU2
    on a desktop computer running Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 12, 2009