    I use it for E-mail, Office Applications and PowerPoint
    presentations. I was about to spring for a new laptop but
    this HDD has breathed new life into this PC.

    * * Chas, Nov 9, 2003

  2. * * Chas

    daniel Guest

    I just got a Toshiba MK6022GAX Super Slimline 60GB UATA100 5400RPM
    with a whopping 16MB buffer for my Thinkpad A20 and love it. It does
    make a difference. They had a good deal on it at outpost.com - $176.
    Of course I will probably read this post in 6 months and laugh (or
    cry) when I see the price. But no, I'm happy.

    Dude, you need to up your RAM to the max. That will make the biggest
    difference!

    daniel, Nov 15, 2003

  3. * * Chas

    John Guest

    Chas and Dan,

    I also recently got a Toshiba MK6022GAX for my ThinkPad T-23.
    It is very quiet and fast.

    Also have a couple IBM/Hitachi 40GNX - 40GB - w/ 8MG buffer
    -- but, prefer the Toshiba MK6022GAX

    Checkout: $168.50
    Toshiba MK6022GAX - 60GB - 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101670

    John

    John, Nov 15, 2003
  4. * * Chas

    John Guest

    John, Nov 15, 2003
  5. (John) wrote in m25.aol.com:
    I had MK6021GAS before I got 7K60. What slightly confuses me is that while
    Toshiba has +5V, 0.7A power requirement, Hitachi has +5V, 1.1A, and yet
    Hitachy runs a lot cooler (I can feel it under my left palmrest). On the
    other hand, 7K60 feels like continuously spinning, and the greatest power
    consumption (and heat) in drives is during spin-up. So, maybe they keep it
    cool by not letting it to slow down or stop.

    Overall, going from 4200 rpm to 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm is noticeable. Going
    between 5400 and 7200 - is not much difference. And Toshiba to me always
    was reliable (not a single failure) while I had 3 IBM drives fail in a row
    within month. Hope, Hitachi is different, and I'm giving it a chance with
    7K60. But MK6022GAX is very worthy contender.

    BTW, what's power requirement on it (specifically, current)?

    Alexei

    Alexei Boukirev, Nov 15, 2003
  6. FWIW, ZIPZOOMFLY was formerly named GOOGLEGEAR.
    I think it's the same people running the company as before. They changed the
    website from www.googlegear.com to www.zipzoomfly.com because Google sued
    them.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Nov 15, 2003
  7. * * Chas

    Donkey Agony Guest

    I've had a different experience -- I found that going from 5400 to 7200
    was *quite* noticeable.

    Donkey Agony, Nov 15, 2003
  8. * * Chas

    Chris Allen Guest

    This doesn't sound right. A typical 5-watt spin-up would draw one
    full ampere, at 5 volts.

    Hitachi uses a much lighter head slider for its 7200-RPM drives.
    Less mass = less energy expended to move it from track to track.

    http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-1001478.html

    And that uptime extension may be a result of the adaptive logic
    taking into account a longer spinup time (if the spinup wattage is
    the same, then to spinup to 7200 RPM would have to take
    proportionately
    longer than to spinup to 4200 or 5400 RPM). If it does take longer
    for 7200 RPM laptop drives to spinup, the the adaptive logic is not
    just saving power by keeping it spinning, but saving user time by
    minimizing the proportion of times a user has to wait for a spinup to
    complete.

    According to this review, there is a large difference:

    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html

    http://tinyurl.com/swio

    The 16MB cache 5400 RPM Toshiba was so slow in that review, it was
    even beat by Hitachi's 4200 RPM 80GB drive.

    At the bottom, the above review shows lower power consumption for the
    7200 RPM drive -- though that is comparing a 5400 RPM Hitachi, and
    not the 5400 RPM Toshiba, to the 7200 RPM Hitachi.

    Here's Toshiba's MK6022GAX PDF:
    http://tinyurl.com/v5wp

    ---beginquote---
    Start 5.0watts
    Seeking 2.9watts
    Reading/Writing 2.5watts
    Idle 1.05watts
    Standby 0.25watts
    Sleep 0.1watts
    ---endquote---

    Comparing that to the Hitachi 7200 RPM drive...

    ---beginquote---
    Startup (max. peak) 5.5 W
    Seek (average) 2.6 W
    Read (average) 2.5 W
    Write (average) 2.5 W
    Performance idle (average) 2.0 W
    Active idle (average) 1.3 W
    Low power idle (average) 0.85 W
    Standby (average) 0.25 W
    Sleep 0.1 W
    Power consumption efficiency (watts/GB) 0.014
    ---endquote---

    ....we see that except for the spinup dissipation, the Toshiba is
    an incredible power hog. Problems might be:
    1. Slider is too heavy (ancient slider technology)
    2. Cache is too large (8MB is just right; 16MB is wasted and wastes
    energy just like too much cache in CPUs wastes energy)
    3. Not fine-enough idle and standby gradations (you can see by the
    above power-dissipation comparisons, the Hitachi has more gradations)
    4. Adaptive logic is not up to snuff.

    -Chris

    Chris Allen, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Richard Grossman, Nov 19, 2003
  10. * * Chas

    Chas. Guest

    Do you have an ATA100 compatible system? Some older laptops only have
    ATA33 or ATA66 capacity chipsets. You wont see much change with drives
    faster than ATA66 on these systems.

    Chas.

    Chas., Dec 2, 2003
  11. Yes, but maybe the problem is that I'm just measuring it subjectively,
    and I think we all get used to any increase in performance very quickly.

    It does seem to boot quickly.

    Richard Grossman, Dec 4, 2003
  12. Also, I have to say that this drive is the quietest and coolest I've
    ever used. I can't hear it, and MBM reports very cool temps even when
    accessed heavily.

    I'd love to get an 80 gig version of it someday (when Hitachi has a 7200
    RPM 80-gig drive).

    Richard Grossman, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Actually, mine, now that I used it for a while, reports about 42 degrees
    Celcius quite regularly unless I take special care of reducing ambient
    (room) temperature (then it goes down to 38). And 41 degrees is configured
    "critical" by default in my HD temperature monitoring utility (DTemp). I
    wonder how long this drive will sustain such working conditions. Quietly
    thinking about getting back to Toshiba, which are quietest overall by the
    way. Though the new Hitachi is as quiet as most of Toshiba drives.

    I'm especially concerned as another Travelstar (in my other laptop) started
    giving up - I saw a bunch of bad block massages in System Event Log
    recently. Another IBM drive goes down (three went down last year), no
    Toshiba failed so far. Hopefully Hitachi improved quality after buying
    business from IBM. Oh, well. Time for backup.

    Alexei

    Alexei Boukirev, Dec 4, 2003