Hlp: Radeon 8500LE Heat Damage?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by VoidRoamer, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. VoidRoamer

    VoidRoamer Guest

    Hello folks,

    I was hoping some kind person could enlighten me.

    I have recently begun playing some of the newer DX9 games. When
    playing Knights of the Old Republic, the game locked up at a specific
    point. Replaying from start overcame the problem however it still
    locks up on occasion. Lock On: Modern Air Combat has the exact same
    problem. When playing the game, it locks up at precisely the same
    point when replaying the Mig-29 intercept demo, that is, when the
    plane begins to exit the cloud layer. When performing other tasks in
    the game it seems to lock up more randomly.

    Each time, my PC (Windows XP) crashes with a screen full of colourful
    vertical stripes. I have tried everything including the usual
    reinstall everything, latest drivers, patches, etc, etc. Everything
    works fine, including 'older' games such as Jedi Academy and all 2D
    games/applications, only certain 3D games in specific circumstances.

    I was wondering if this may be a sign of heat damage? (It has been
    extremely hot lately) or possibly a faulty GPU (a bad instruction?).
    I installed the Omega Catalyst drivers recently when my system had
    Win98SE but replaced the ATI Catalyst drivers as there was no
    difference.

    Advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    VoidRoamer

    VoidRoamer, Dec 22, 2003

  2. VoidRoamer

    Skid Guest

    Check to make sure the fan on the card is working. The colored stripes may
    suggest overstressed video memory. Is the card overclocked? If so, set it
    back to defaults. If not, try UNDERclocking it with one of the free
    utilities from www.rage3d.com. Radeonator Lite works well and is the
    simplest to use.

    If that doesn't help, you might try a card cooler. You can buy one, or you
    can make one by bending a spare slot cover at a 90-degree angle parallel to
    the card. Drill two holes to mount an old cpu fan and let it blow across the
    card and its memory chips.

    Skid, Dec 22, 2003

  3. VoidRoamer

    Ron Joiner Guest

    I got rid of this by going into the BIOS and setting everything to default
    settings. Won't do any harm to try and worked for me. Not sure why though.

    Ron

    Ron Joiner, Dec 22, 2003